lean condition

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

lean condition

Post by Altair » Tue May 12, 2020 1:25 pm

I have a 26 touring and when I first got it 60 years ago I had rebuilt the engine from quality parts and carefully assembled all the parts to assure no leaks vacuum or pressure. When I started the engine there was a very noticeable popping and puffing at the exhaust indicative of a vacuum leak, I retightened to no avail so I just lived with it. One day I had washed the car with the engine running and some water got through the louvers and settled in the spark plug depressions and there was my vacuum leak. I used some sealer on the plugs and the annoying puffing disappeared. I lived with that for years always wondering where the leak was.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: lean condition

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

That’s great news. Just another instance when engine issues turn out to be something simple! There is the tendency to tare the engine apart and slowly check everything. That’s happened more than once.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic