How to install a '26 Runabout windshield seal

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

How to install a '26 Runabout windshield seal

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri May 15, 2020 8:52 am

The rubber seal on my windshield post has worked its way out of the groove. It's strange since the car has mostly sat in the barn for months. I'm having a hard time getting it back into the groove and I could use some guidance. The seal is the one shown in the photo (arrow).
Windshield seal.gif
Should I use soapy water or WD-40 as a lubricant? Once it is installed, what keeps it installed? The seal was coming loose when I got the car and just worked itself out. I have been focusing on projects that are a must to getting the car roadworthy. This was not one of those projects. But since the seal is now completely out, I want to put it back in permanently.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: How to install a '26 Runabout windshield seal

Post by DanTreace » Fri May 15, 2020 9:22 am

Best way is loosen the stanchion bolts, remove the windshield frames for best access.

Then remove the seals, clean the channel to remove any obstruction for full seat of the seals. I would get new seals too. Then rub the edge of the seal that goes in the channel with Silglide or any silicone paste. with that lube easy to pull the seal into place.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic