Fixing a broken windshield

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Fixing a broken windshield

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 pm

During last September's trip Lizzie took a beating.

IMG_3918.JPG
A broken top socket caused the top to pull back on the windshield frame enough to crack the glass.

IMG_3931.JPG
I used the standard Ford universal repair kit to stabilize the upright. It's been on there ever since.

IMG_5127 copy.JPG
Today I temporarily turned the car into Laurel & Hardy Model T. (The boys often drove a T with the windshield removed to give the camera clear view of them.)

IMG_5134 copy.JPG
Rust in the break shows that the piece had actually been broken for a long time, with just the glass and brass channel and gravity holding it together.

IMG_5128 copy.JPG
After drilling and punching out the rivets I had to apply the heat wrench to remove the short piece of upright that was inside the bracket.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Re: Fixing a broken windshield

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri May 15, 2020 11:01 pm

IMG_5129 copy.JPG
Here are the two pieces of upright together, and the two screws that attach the windshield hinge.

IMG_5130 copy.JPG
A solid steel piece fits inside the tubular body and the screws for the hinge and the top cap are threaded into it.

IMG_5131 copy.JPG
Before I got the thing apart I thought I would just make a new upright out of one solid piece. But this part inside the bracket sticks up inside the sheet metal tube. That rather complicates things. I'll have to make the new upright of two sections welded together.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Sat May 16, 2020 2:10 am

Steve,
Find another T windshield frame, I think any year will work, one that has problems of some sort, but has a good straight section long enough to replace your lower w/s section. This will be much easier than welding those two parts back together or making a new part. The filler that the hinge screws go into will slide out of your frame (probably not easily, but it will come out!) and put it in the new piece of tubing.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Post by modeltbarn » Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 pm

I can’t really tell the condition of the pieces of the steel tubing from the pictures. If they are solid and it’s just broken In two pieces I think it can be TIG welded fairly easily.

If I see this correctly, the break is at the point equal to top of the bracket, and top of the ‘interfering’ part Is lower. That means any weld inside the tubing won’t be a problem. The weld on the outside of the tubing can be flap disked so it’s smooth. The inside of the channel would be the biggest challenge.... You’d need to do some careful dremel work inside there.

If the steel is solid and you want to try that feel free to email me, I should be able to TIG it pretty easily. The worst case is you’re no worse off than you are now, other than a few bucks for postage

Topic author
Steve Jelf

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat May 16, 2020 11:14 pm

Find another T windshield frame...

Of course. That's so simple and easy I didn't think of it. :)
So today I cut a "new" piece out of a junk frame.

IMG_5135 copy.JPG
Cleaning up the inside of the bracket with some 60 grit.

IMG_5138 copy.JPG
One of life's exasperating misadventures is dealing with carriage bolts in rounded-out holes.

IMG_5140 copy.JPG
So today I squared the holes in the left bracket.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic