installation instructions for side view mirror

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

installation instructions for side view mirror

Post by Moxie26 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:15 am

Would anyone have the installation instructions for side view mirror sold by our vendors with a solid 8-in mounting bar and a 5-in round mirror. There was advertised a download for instructions but the vendors having problems. Spoke to vendors office but have not received any information or download. Not sure if mirror bracket for 26-27 open car gets installed on upper or lower windshield studs.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: installation instructions for side view mirror

Post by DanTreace » Sun May 17, 2020 9:11 am

Haven't used that type, but appears the new longer wingnut stud replaces the factory stud inside the cone of the windshield frames.
IMO, at the upper frame wing nut, the arm would be rather close to the top front bow. Seems mid way a the lower frame would be ok, but its your choice, the higher spot may be better. Just sit in the T and hold it in either position to see what the view is behind you. :)

C2A98DB8-6924-4BE5-9FEB-31E6FE127FBF.jpeg

The lower location works for me on the '27, but this is Antique Motor Sports's mirror, however it is installed with a drilled hole in the stanchion, so I used the lower position near the curtain Lift- the- Dot stud. That put the mirror head at my easy eye level.

Cut off part of the hex-head on a bolt to sit deep in the channel, that's covered with the weather strip in the channel. Capped the bolt with a stainless dome nut. I like this type mount, even if a hole is made, as the arm is always fixed securely to the stanchion, minimum wiggle.

C09B131E-81DB-45FB-8F04-1053F03A5495.jpeg
Last edited by DanTreace on Sun May 17, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:12 am

I have a vendor supplied rear view mirrow that I use on my 21 Touring. The mounting holes are drilled for the 2 holes on the windshield posts and it’s mounted there. If the mounting holes will fit the lower or upper studs maybe it’s meant for the driver to mount it in the best rear view location for your paticular car. Not sure about that though.
Whichever one you use it will work best on the most stable location to lessen vibration. That would be something to consider.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:25 am

It’s up to you but having a rear view mirrow on both sides really helps. When I installed the one I bought on the drivers side of my 21 Touring I decided to make another mounting arm out of some bar stock I had in my junk pile. They are easy to make and I had another round mirrow my Grandfather used for a rear view mirrow in the 24 Coupe I inherited from him. It was the same size as the new one I bought and it matched really well.

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks John and Dan for your quick responses. Since I am 6'2 and sit relatively tall , hanging at side view mirror from the top wing nut will suit me just fine. Thanks for your help, appreciated !!!

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun May 17, 2020 1:43 pm

I tried mounting mine on the lower half of the windshield. It just wasnt right for me. I did not feel I could see to the rear well enough. Then I tried the upper half of the windshield. Maybe I just like looking up, but I felt I could see items in the rear much better. View was not blocked by my lowered top either.

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:54 pm

To those who have purchased this side view mirror assembly... Have you had problems with the included threaded windshield attachment not fitting through the hole that's in the side view mirror bracket?

Topic author
Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Thank you Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic