Cracked brake drum club?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dhosh
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Hoshield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)
MTFCA Number: 24305
Board Member Since: 2015

Cracked brake drum club?

Post by dhosh » Sun May 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Oh, snap ....Apparently, I am a member of the cracked brake drum club, now. 😢
20200517_164045.jpg
20200517_164011.jpg
Cracked on the outside surface in at least 2 places.

Guess I should have pulled the engine in the first place. I pulled the hogs head to switch to wood bands, for a try. Found cotton wrapped around the magneto post, and the usual in the filter, but we're fraying at the leading edge... At least on the brake band.

Another research project, I guess. I'll need to see if replacing the drum is something I'll be able to do. I pull the engine before, and without a hogshead head or starter, it ought to be easy peasy this time! :-)
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Cracked brake drum club?

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Be on the lookout for a new "low" drum, too. Too pitted.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 17, 2020 7:15 pm

If you can pull the engine you can split the engine and transmission and rebuild the transmission with the necessary drums. And while you have it apart you may want to replace the coil ring with a new one. If it has the original coil ring in it the coil insulation is pretty much deteorited after nearly 100 years. I know it’s going to take some effort but replacing what’s worn or nearly worn out now is the right thing to do. Assuming the magnets are OK but again you could check them also while your at it.
Consider it a learning experience. If others can do it you can too. Good luck!

Topic author
dhosh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 RPU (Raodster converted to Pickup)

Post by dhosh » Sun May 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks, Scott... On the low drum. I wondered if it was a keeper, or not.

Yes, i'll be pulling the engine next weekend, if I can find a cherry picker. The local rental place is closed, and Ace hardware's isn't big enough. I might be able to find one to borrow. On that I probably can borrow is monsterous. I don't know if I can even get it on and off my trailer! Lol.

The transmission was gone through about 3-4 years ago, when I purchased the engine, rebuilt. And I was wrong in the first post... They were Kevlar linings, not cotton. They looked hardly worn, except the leading edge of the brake band .... But squished enough to expose the brass rivet tails.

Looks like there are a few different ways to get the drums... Just the drums by themselves, where I would need to rivet it to a new (or my old) brake shaft... Or purchase already done. Regardless... it looks like I would likely need to put in new bushings, as well.
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm

Dennis, cracked brake drums are not unusual. They crack around the driven plate mounting holes, usually on the inside, rather than the outside as yours has. Because of the location, the drum will not flex and chew up the band lining like it does on the other drums. You need to check the bolt mounting holes on any replacement drum you find as well as the drum surface. It would be best if you can find a drum and matching driven plate, as the band runs on both, and they will have the same diameter.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Sun May 17, 2020 8:52 pm

Thanks, Allan!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:25 pm

I bought a Harbour freight 1 ton engine hoist for 135.00 a few years ago and now they have them listed for 176.00. Things go up unfortunately. Harbour freight jacks, hoists, and engine stands are reasonably priced for a home shop. They work fine for me and lots of others.
Hopefully you can borrow and not have to buy one. Their engine hoist is foldable and light enough to load and put in a pickup by 1 man and just right for a T.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Sun May 17, 2020 10:06 pm

Use their 20% coupon. $176 will go down to $135.

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 pm

That would be great... But I moved 200 Mike's away, and no HF here. :-( should have gotten one when I got one of their engine stands .... Which I still have, but the $ demanded one or the other. Using it this 2nd time would have paid for it!
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

John Illinois
Last Name: Burgett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 29590

Post by John Illinois » Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 am

Dennis,I had to replace drums. I purchased new drums from Daves Restoration. He has great drums and he will remove and rivet the drum to your gear or shaft for $25.

https://www.davesrestorationandmachine.com/
John

Topic author
dhosh

Post by dhosh » Mon May 18, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks for the link, John... I might just have to get a hold of him! Thanks! I'm in the northern end of the lower pemminaula of Michigan... Will check to see what shipping does!

Thanks,

Dennis
'24 RPU
Petoskey, Mi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic