Paint your car!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Paint your car!

Post by Thorlick » Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 am

I just saw an interesting video which just may have some application in achieving an authentic “black era” Model T paint job! https://youtu.be/sH4249-gQgY

TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Re: Paint your car!

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue May 19, 2020 10:48 am

:lol: :lol: lay it in the grass and spray it! :lol: :lol:
I dont think Mr Booth done it that a way ? My green roadster looks like that method was employed.

Topic author
Thorlick
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 am

I think this is dangerously close to the actual Ford method. I love the prep work. The devil is in the details!

TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue May 19, 2020 11:18 am

Looks better then my paint jobs even when I try and be careful! ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ModelTWoods
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue May 19, 2020 11:26 am

Done in the dirt and grass? How did they manage to get not one particle of dirt, or one blade of grass to stick to the paint? Impossible in my book. I smell a Photo Shop job.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:43 am

First two pictures courtesy of the Ford Motor Company. They used a bigger nozzle then vs today. Last photo of Hobbiest
Then
1914-Ford-Model-T-Painting.jpg
Today
Ford-E-Series-EcoPainting.jpg
Hobbiest
Attachments
Rattle Can Method.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:26 am
Done in the dirt and grass? How did they manage to get not one particle of dirt, or one blade of grass to stick to the paint? Impossible in my book. I smell a Photo Shop job.
LOL Its' a wheelbarrow, I don't thing they were worried too much about a little dirt. ;)
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

ModelTWoods
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed May 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:49 pm
ModelTWoods wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:26 am
LOL Its' a wheelbarrow, I don't thing they were worried too much about a little dirt. ;)
I don't care if it was a Shovel. I, still, want to know who they did it.

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Fri May 22, 2020 9:59 pm

Pretty cool Mr Whiplash!
Now I want one of those sprayers. I'd just spray Penetrol all over everything here.
Maybe paint the PsychOdelic with 1918 Black Beauty.... :lol:
That's what I thought! 150 bar is a lot of pressure. 2175 psi airless spray. Like a pressure washer with a finer tip.
Used to paint airline ground support equipment (trailers) with 3600 psi of airless paint. Ya pop that trigger and it's like a hand gun with way less noise. Then ya get moving as there's a lot of paint coming out!
Oh, there was grass stuck on the one side but ya really gotta look for it. :)
Thanks Snidely! ;)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 pm

Someone spent a LOT of time and effort, building a wheel barrow, when you could buy one for $50. But maybe that is a depression-era wheelbarrow, so they didn't even have a quarter, much less $50, when they built it.
In the movies I saw of the Ford production line painting, it looked like they were using garden hoses, and just flowing the paint on. It wasn't actually being sprayed. The excess ran off, (and was filtered and reused, as far as I know) and the paint dried to a nice, shiny finish. I don't know what year that was. but there were no spray guns of any kind. I was amazed at the time. One of those "So THAT'S how they did it!" moments.
When I was young, I went through the American Motors Body Plant in Milwaukee, and I still remember the guy doing the leading on the seams all around the body. I think it took him less than a minute to walk around the car, hit every seam he needed to fill with lead, wipe it down, and move on. I thought about that guy a lot when I started trying to do leading for my restorations. It took me about an hour to do my first seam. If I had worked for American Motors, I would have been riding on the auto transporter, still trying to get lead in the seams, on the delivery trip to the dealer.

Duckwing
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Wilson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster Pickup

Post by Duckwing » Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm

I did my painting back in 1980 with lacquer because it dried fast. Bugs had to be quick. I painted a lot of parts hanging from the kids swing set. Did have one fender come loose in the process so had a mess of dirt and grass to remove. Paint technology has passed me by.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Sun May 24, 2020 4:51 pm

I bet that wheel barrow has been around for 40 -50 years.Unlike the 50 buck 1's in the store!
What was pushing the paint?
I had a project "dumped" on me that i will have to paint. A neighbor bought a G Allis Chalmers and we took it apart for restore.It laid around here for 8 years.I finally told him, bring some parts, this $*$*# thing is going to LEAVE here rolling.
So I got most of it back together.He had bought paint and chemicals and the body shop decided to back out of painting the tractor. So guess who has a big box of stuff to paint a tractor? ME.
I have done some painting,but not alot.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic