Wood Band Install - Issue

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Wood Band Install - Issue

Post by fbergski » Wed May 20, 2020 12:34 am

Tonight, I finally installed the pan and hogshead on my freshened up 11 engine. Pan went on with no issues, 4th main slides in perfectly. Next came the rebuilt hogs head. New wood bands on the drum, held together with plastic zip ties. Hogshead goes on pretty easily, let gasket sealer set up. Then I notice that the low band has zero clearance in the hogshead. I thought maybe the zip tie was the issue so I removed it and it only expanded minimally. I can only turn the adjuster to where it barely touches. Using low pedal, I can disengage the clutch and then another 1/8" or so of pedal travel and were done.

Not too happy at this point, so I put a pin in the crank and install the hand crank, amazingly the engine turns over no harder than it has during the rebuild. After a few revolutions it turns easier.

Is this an issue or will the bands loosen up after being used?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Wood Band Install - Issue

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 20, 2020 12:54 am

Which style bands are you using? You might to have to take a couple of steps back. First from what I have read, cutting the shaft for the low band is not a good idea in the aluminum hogs head, it has to do with the shaft giving better support.
My OP: If you are using quick change bands, there might be interference at the latches and could be exasperating the fitment if they are esp the tab not button latches, not that the button type might work better ether.
Wood bands should be installed and removed with the hogs head off because of the type of material, they are not that flexible.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Wed May 20, 2020 3:27 am

Philip,

I don't think you have a problem here.
I use to install wood band linings in all the engines I rebuild. Only when asked for kevlar I use kevlar.

I see this a few times, the bands just need to run in. After a few miles you will need to adjust them and repeat this a few times .
On my three T's I have wooden bands, the oldest is since 2008 and didn't adjust the bands for the last 5 years ( running about 1000 miles every year)
If you have a good neutral just run with it.

Just my experience
Andre
Belgium

Topic author
fbergski
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Berg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring 1916 Coupelet

Post by fbergski » Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm

Mark Gregush wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:54 am
Which style bands are you using? You might to have to take a couple of steps back. First from what I have read, cutting the shaft for the low band is not a good idea in the aluminum hogs head, it has to do with the shaft giving better support.
My OP: If you are using quick change bands, there might be interference at the latches and could be exasperating the fitment if they are esp the tab not button latches, not that the button type might work better ether.
Wood bands should be installed and removed with the hogs head off because of the type of material, they are not that flexible.
Quick change bands, they were in the car when I got it, no issues previously. I'm going to take Andre's advice and let them settle in before I make a decision to take them out. The bands are dry at this point, no presoaking.

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 pm

Two observations:
There were at least three (likely more) suppliers of bands throughout production, and each had their own slight differences. For the detachable ear variety, mis-matching “ears” and bands may or may not be problematic when fit up in the case. (Going through a big pile of bands in a bone pile once, I was hard pressed to come up with a matched set of three !)

On the forum the past few years I’ve read more than one comment noting how detachable ear bands don’t necessarily seat well within the earlier aluminum trans cover. I have them in my ‘13, it came to me that way, but next time I need to re-line bands, I will go back to the original type, and re-fit the low speed pedal as original for better support. I do have issues as to how the “set” of my low speed band in the cover is affecting adjustment, but Scandinavia linings are somewhat forgiving. (FWIW, the previous owner had run wood linings successfully.)
"Get a horse !"

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Wed May 20, 2020 1:42 pm

Philip,

I forgot to tell that, as I lined wood or kevlar bands, I soak them in 1/2 liter of ATF and top off the bucket till all the bands are under with fresh motor oil.
I use this mixed oil later in the engine.
Just leave them in the mixture till you need them for installation in the transmission. 1 or 2 days or longer it doesn't matter

Andre
Belgium

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic