Body nail strips ??? Best way to install??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Modeltmike
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sleep
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: I have 26 & 24 coupe, 25 pickup, and 26 Fordson.
MTFCA Number: 31639
MTFCI Number: 31639

Body nail strips ??? Best way to install??

Post by Modeltmike » Wed May 20, 2020 10:57 pm

I’m getting ready to replace the strips that cover the seems on my 24 coupe. The wood was soft when I removed them so they came off in decent condition. The nails are rusty, bent and loose. I am not building a show piece, just a driver. I’m looking for ideas on how to re install these strips. The original nails are likely not an option. The belt rail cover that starts at one door and goes around the back of the cab to the other door. It will likely be the harder strip to install. Open to ideas from the wisdom out there.

Thanks
Mike

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Re: Body nail strips ??? Best way to install??

Post by Joe Bell » Thu May 21, 2020 6:49 am

I have made wood for Coupe's, Fordor's and installing the aluminum strips with the nails have been challenging, first one was screwed in and duraglas over them they showed, next ones where nailed and JB weld they showed the last ones I set down and really looked to see how they did it and it was aluminum plugs in the nail holes, made sure the trim holes where clean then took aluminum rod cut off hammered them in then files then sanded them smooth and that has held the best. Hope this helps but it was a lot of work. Joe

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am

Joe
That sounds like a great idea. Thank you

John Page
First Name: John
Last Name: Page
MTFCA Number: 28488
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by John Page » Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm

When I restored our 1924 Fordor thirty years ago I had the same dilemma. I removed all of the old nails and used bronze monel nails. I countersunk the nails so there was supplicant depth to allow me to fill the alunimum cover strips with alunimum " DEVCON " filler. The fix has lasted all these years and not one has popped.
Best regards, John Page Australia.
Monel Nails.jpeg
Monel Nails.jpeg (59.09 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
board-profile.cgi.jpeg

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Fri May 22, 2020 4:27 am

I've done this several times on different Model T's
On my Town Car it has brass strips around the folding roof.
I drilled shallow holes on the flat side of the 1/2 round strips and used brass flat head nails whose head was the size of the drill I used.
I then silver soldered the nails into the strip. That was 55 years ago they are still there.

On aluminium strips just like John I also used bronze monel nails (good choice as they won't rust ) again I drilled shallow holes on the rear flat side, placed the nails into the holes and used a small flat punch to burr over the edge of the holes to trap the nail head in the holes. On another job I was lucky enough to have handy a workmate who was a skilled aluminium welder and he welded the nails in. What is also seen here in Australia at swap meets is a guy who sells a low temp welding rod which can be used to do the same thing. Would be worth a try if you can get the rods and have some practice at using the welding rods.
In each case hammering on the strips where the nails are fixes the strip as long as the timber is good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic