Shredded lining shows why....

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Shredded lining shows why....

Post by DanTreace » Sun May 24, 2020 10:48 am

Removed the mag plug for the '25 Coupe motor disassemble prior to pulling the hogshead and found this :(

IMG_2226.jpeg
When there was much fuzz in the oil screen too, at first glance when I got this project, and spied fraying at the ends of the brake lining too, and finding this amount on the mag post (the magneto was working fine), your first thought is drums, drums, drums :o

So removed the hogshead, and pulled the bands, here is the look:

Reverse lining, Kevlar, seems ok for reverse. Drum is only fair-to -poor.
IMG_2243.jpeg
Low speed, ah, some fraying on the edge....near the brake drum. The low drum is poor too, has some pitting, one pit still had a fray of Kevlar!.
IMG_2245.jpeg

and the main culprit, brake drum. Pitting in many places, and this spot is a busted open pit on the edge. Did in both the low band lining edges, and the brake band lining.

Cause of all that fuzz...pitted drums that shred woven linings. These drums are toast.
IMG_2247.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Shredded lining shows why....

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 24, 2020 11:21 am

Dan

that's a darn shame
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
DanTreace
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sun May 24, 2020 11:38 am

Scott

Was supposed to be rebuilt, sure is, with junk parts!

Found this 4th main, have heard of bronze or brass being used instead of babbitt, but this is first one I have seen.

Has some wear, but did fit snug on the tailshaft.

IMG_2236.jpeg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun May 24, 2020 11:53 am

Also, notice the edges of the drums are sharp from wear. If you are going to run Kevlar lining, the edges of the drums need to be chamfered and polished as well, in addition to no big pits or excessive roughness on the drum surfaces.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Sun May 24, 2020 12:26 pm

Do the Kevlar linings normally shed? Or is this due only to the drums picking at the fabric?
I put Kevlar in my T, but have not driven it yet, due to other items needing attention, but I wondered about the shedding. I know the cotton ones shed as a normal occurrence. Are the Kevlar ones more stable than the cotton ones, or less stable?
I have the little lid filter installed, to hopefully catch any fur that is generated. I am just curious about how often I should be pulling the trans cover to check it, (Based on smooth drums in very good condition)

Dan B
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Sun May 24, 2020 2:59 pm

In my experience, my Kevlar didn’t start shedding until my drum cracked. Then it filled up the transmission oil screen. For years I opened up the cover without anything in the screen.
1923 Touring

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Thanks, I feel better. I will open the cover after a couple hundred miles and see how things are going, and if it's good, then just do my yearly check.

halftracknut
First Name: randy
Last Name: lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 pickup

Post by halftracknut » Sun May 24, 2020 5:43 pm

I am not trying to jack your thread. I would like to add I bought and installed a new screen in my truck and the the brakes went soft so I checked the drum temp. and it was close to 400...long story short I drilled the two rear holes out to 5/8 and more oil dumping on my brake drum temp. went down to 125...now more brakes..My opinion is more oil extends life of band and drum...I have read that kevlar will take high temps...alas the drum will not...so more oil :?: ???

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun May 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Don’t know how much information you got from the seller but your 25 Coupe was a pretty solid original car going by the pics you posted earlier. It could be the engine was rebuilt but the term can mean different things for different people.
Years ago when I was in my early twenties I had a older gentleman who helped me a lot learning about T’s who had a 22 Roadster. He didn’t have a lot of money but as a retired mechanic who rebuilt his 22 Roadster from what he called “from the best parts he could find” he was a pretty sharp guy.
Around other T friends like me who always looked for his advice for T’s he always said he ‘rebuilt’ his 22 Roadster. We knew how he did it of course and he knew we also did.
He wasn’t trying to fool people but that was his way of explaining his T was ‘rebuilt’.
It could be that your cars engine was given the same treatment. But that of course is only my guess.
Good luck with your car and knowing your knowledge here on the forum you’ll make it right for your use.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun May 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Dan - Unfortunate for sure! And I hear what you are saying about the quality (or, the lack thereof) of the parts used in this rebuild, especially drum condition,.... worn, cracked, pitted, sharp edges, etc, etc. But in the case of the shredded & fuzzy woven Kevlar linings, I cannot help but wonder what might have (or, might not have) happened in that "rebuilt" transmission, if wood linings had been installed, rather than the woven Kevlar???

I like wood linings for several reasons; less heat generated with wood, no lint, long wear, etc, etc. Might be that the drum wound not have cracked in the first place with wood, the sharp edges would probably be a bit less of an issue, and as far as the "pits" in the one drum are concerned, I don't think wood bands would be much affected by that either. Pitts do not protrude,...in fact, it might be said that they hold a bit of oil, you know. sort of like its been said that riveted brake linings hold a bit of brake dust, as opposed to bonded linings.

Anyway, just sort of thinking out loud, and not intending to contribute to the never ending "war" about Kevlar/wood/Scandinavia, etc, etc,.....again,....just sort of "thinking-out-loud,......harold

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Harold

Dan did not mention anywhere that I could see that there were any cracks in any drums.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 pm

You're absolutely right Scott! In re-reading, I see that it was Dan Blaydons 11:59 post in this thread today where he mentioned the cracked drum! I got my Dan T's and my Dan B's mixed up! Sorry,.....harold

P.S. But I still do like wood bands,..... :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic