How to identify high speed rear in TT

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Alex Dragone
First Name: Alex
Last Name: Dragone
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Roadster, 1911 Torpedo, 1915 Touring, 1926 Roadster

How to identify high speed rear in TT

Post by Alex Dragone » Sun May 24, 2020 2:42 pm

I just acquired a 26 TT truck and it has a ruckstell and Rocky Mountain brakes. I have been told that some of these TTs came with a 5:1 gear ratio rear axle. How can I identify if this truck has it? Do I have to disassemble the rear? The previous owner was said to have driven it at 35 mph or more. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: How to identify high speed rear in TT

Post by Humblej » Sun May 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Jack up one wheel, crank the engine over by hand and count the revolutions of the engine and the wheel.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Re: How to identify high speed rear in TT

Post by HPetrino » Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm

If memory serves I think if you jack up one wheel, turn the crank and count the engine revolutions it takes for one wheel revolution you need to divide by 2. 5 engine revolutions should get 2 wheel revolutions meaning it has 5:1 gears. If it takes a little over 7 engine revolutions to get 2 wheel revolutions' then it's a low speed set.

At lest that's how I remember it. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic