Patching NH Carb Brass Float

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Patching NH Carb Brass Float

Post by George House » Mon May 25, 2020 9:36 am

The other day I replaced the carburetor on a T with a rebuilt carb done by a dear deceased friend about 10 years ago. But gasoline wouldn’t stop pouring out of the inboard hole next to the choke shaft hole. I tapped and tapped hoping for just a stuck needle in the seat - to no avail. So I drained the carb and removed the Bowl recognizing a new float, needle and seat. Next I placed the float in a cup of water and it sunk. 😞 I don’t feel confident applying solder thinking it would make the float too heavy. Is there any other product that would fix the leak between the brass float seams but not make the new float too heavy - and not negatively react to gasoline ?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Re: Patching NH Carb Brass Float

Post by John.Zibell » Mon May 25, 2020 9:40 am

Save yourself a bunch of frustration and just replace it. https://www.modeltford.com/item/6201.aspx
1926 Tudor

Topic author
George House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster

Post by George House » Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 am

Thanks John but I’d just be replacing a 10 year old never used new Lang’s float with another one. Suppose I could call and ask for a float test before sending but, in the tradition of restoring, was just wondering if there was a lightweight ‘brush on’ or ‘spray on’ product someone has used successfully. Don’t think Flex Seal is gasoline proof 😞

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 am

I doubt that sealing the leak with solder would add enough weight to be a problem. I could be wrong. It happened once before.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 25, 2020 11:29 am

George

you stated that the leak was at the seam, but haven't mentioned any testing method to prove that. So, I'll go with the seam being the issue...you'll need to get the float completely dry inside. Prick a hole in the float near the hinge, on the underside and allow the float to warm in the sun for several days, shaking it periodically until all sound of liquid is gone. Flux the seam and with a large iron, simply reflow the solder that is there...do not add any. Flux the hole and just dab a bit of solder onto it and if the brass is clean and the flux is RMA flux and you use eutectic solder, that tiny hole will be sealed in an instant with no discernable additional weight, and if a little weight IS added, the hinge is supporting it and it will not materially reduce bouyancy.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
George House

Post by George House » Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am

Great idea Scott ! In my initial post I said “Next I placed the float in a cup of water and it sunk” (over time). I’ll go on the hunt now for RMA flux and eutectic solder. Thanks !

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm

George, I did get that, but I don't think that condemns the solder joint. Next, I'd put it into very hot water and watch for either bubbles, or a shimmer of gasoline escaping...you may be surprised to find a corrosion spot, pinhole in a dent, or something else which is really the culprit.

Anyway, eutectic 63/37 solder is key to this repair. Not some crappy 60/40 junk nor non-lead plumbing solder at the hardware stores. Either of those will lead to a giant mess and possibly a larger leak. If you can't find elsewhere, MSCDIRECT carries it...Kester brand.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Mon May 25, 2020 12:11 pm

After drying the gas out the float, place in warm water and hold down, bring the water up to just to just before simmer and look for bubbles coming out of the float. Mark the leaks. You will need to drill a small vent hole, because if you don't the heat will increase the internal pressure and can just keep blowing out the place you are trying to fix. If you look at some brass floats you will see a spot of solder, thats what it is, vent hole. Keep the solder to a minimum, even a little bit can change things. You may have to redo a couple of times.
I am thinking, that if it is taking on liquid that fast, might be a lost cause and better of with a new one.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon May 25, 2020 4:31 pm

One thing to add about soldering float. After you fix leak , let float cool down before you close the vent hole. If float is still hot you can cause float to have a vacuum inside, may want to collapse. Dan

Topic author
George House

Post by George House » Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Dan. Good consideration. I’m going to try Scott’s method on my repop carb but, in the meantime, I went out to the barn and picked out several original NH floats and put them all to the test. Picked a winner, installed it, turned on the gas and didn’t leak - car running or not. Went for a drive. Of course I turned the gas off until next drive.

I should say this NH is only a temporary replacement while I wait on the U&J’s
Return from Helena MT 😁

Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510

Post by Thorlick » Mon May 25, 2020 8:19 pm

I suggest you just get some modern float plalstic , make a float and be done with it!

This is from Langs, I assume most vendors have it.

new float material
new float material

TH
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

StanHowe
First Name: Stan
Last Name: Howe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 19133

Post by StanHowe » Tue May 26, 2020 11:14 am

George, most of those floats from ten years or so were being made in India and were some hard brass colored metal that would not hold solder. They leaked and didn't float very well to begin with.

I don't know where they are coming from now and I haven't bought many since I don't fool with NHs but they have to be better.

Combined with the needle and seat sets made and sold as the "correct original style" that had the tips cut on a form cutter instead of being ground so they were actually round and would seal in the seat, it about took some guys out of the carb rebuild business.

I don't know where they had the needle and seat sets made but I still have some in the packaging they were sold in that were so rough I could see the cutter marks without a lens.
At that time I was still doing NH's and I tried to regrind some. They were made from such cheap crap metal I couldn't grind the tip surface on my needle making setup and ended up making new ones from piano wire, hardening them and grinding the tips or regrinding the old tips.

Not that it has much to do with this but the only good needle and seat set I have seen for NHs come from Scott Conger.
Full flow, viton tip and they fit right and work.

I can make needles for about anything but I am always so backed up I would buy sets if they were available in good quality for other carbs

RE your U and J's. I make the entire set for those, seat, needle, whole thing.

Topic author
George House

Post by George House » Wed May 27, 2020 10:22 am

Good idea Terry.... I hope that’s the plastic float material that Stan will be using on my two
U& Js..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic