Let's remember

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Let's remember

Post by Thorlick » Mon May 25, 2020 1:47 pm

Memorial Day is a time we pause to remember and honor those who have lost their life in service to our country. I hope we can include all our military veterans and current members as well as those who are helping us cope with present conditions.

On this vein I thought I would post a link to a story by a past member, the late Ralph Ricks (RD), whom I believe was a veteran.

Back in the late 1990's I used to assist Gus Stangeland in maintaining the MTFCA site. I mostly ran the photos and helped with the forum and home page. In addition I collected stories and posted them. Some of these stories are still tucked away on the MTFCA site so I thought I would post a link to this one for you to enjoy today. The loss of these stories and their associated photos was needed to streamline the bandwidth and make this site more affordable so I do not have the photos associated with this story. but will supply these:

Click Here for "Californial Great Race 1997"https://www.mtfca.com/members/ricks.htm
Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Let's remember

Post by Steve Jelf » Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Ralph coined one of the best words ever posted on the forum: disturbutor. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Greg Griffin
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Griffin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 torpedo, '25ish pickup
MTFCA Number: 30353
MTFCI Number: 23493

Post by Greg Griffin » Mon May 25, 2020 5:29 pm

I believe he also first said "Everywhere I drive is a parade and everywhere I park is a car show."

Topic author
Thorlick
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Horlick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster Pickup "Mountain Patrol vehicle" from Los Angeles City Fire Department and a 1912 Model T omnibus restoration project
MTFCA Number: 50510
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Thorlick » Mon May 25, 2020 9:07 pm

For further reading here is another of the old stories, this time by Charlie Cotterman about his visit with RD.

https://www.mtfca.com/members/cotterman/charlie.htm

Terry Horlick, Penn Valley, CA
1927 Mountain Patrol Vehicle from the Los Angeles City Fire Department (L.A.F.D.)
1912 Model T Ford English Station Omnibus

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 am

Yeah I miss him too. Happy to have been aquatinted with him and also got to meet Terry at RDRs last Bakersfield Meet. Have to have visited his house when he had a TParts garage sale. Loved how he stood up for Reid also . I still have picks from his memorial. Got to meet all kinds of T legends.

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Tue May 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Many may not know that the '13 roadster pickup that Ralph often posted pictures of, was that same Great Race car with a different body but the same Frontenac engine and all. It was his daily driver and it wasn't babied at all. It was a 70MPH freeway flyer.

Shortly after joining the Long Beach Model T Club, we toured the old Ridge Route in the Calif. mountains. The T's were trailered to the starting point in Castaic, but Ralph drove to the starting point. I didn't have a running car at the time, so I was riding along with someone else. Not too long into the tour, the car I was riding in broke down, (not unusual for this car or driver I later learned,) and I hitched a ride with Ralph for the rest of the day. At Gorman, the top of the mountain, the T's turned around and headed back the way they had come and back to the trailers. Ralph looked at me and said "you can hitch a ride back with someone else, or stay with me, but I'm getting on the freeway and heading home. I stayed with Ralph, and spent the next few hours with one hand or the other holding onto my hat! We even used the HOV lane on the 110 freeway on the way home He posted pictures of the T in the HOV lanes several times.

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Tue May 26, 2020 10:59 pm

I never had the pleasure and/or good fortune to meet Ralph Ricks, but I almost feel like I knew him because of my many years of regular participation (or at least reading) of this forum. Too add to what Jeff just said above, Ralph Ricks absolutely hated trailers! He said that trailers were "evil"!

Also, to add one more to the "Ralph Ricks quotes" that were posted by several others above, he also had one more that I especially like, and am finding out how true it is:

"Everything you own, owns you!"

(.....I own a Model A, four Model T's, and too much stuff,....and Ralph was absolutely right!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic