What was that ??

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Larry e rutt
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Rutt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor

What was that ??

Post by Larry e rutt » Mon May 25, 2020 6:22 pm

So I was showing off to my wife about how well my T runs ( down hill of course ) when it clanged.. it sounded like she left a pyrex casserole dish on the running board and it fell on the road... my first thought was a magnet flew off the flywheel... of course I didn't tell her that..I thought if I remove the starter I might be able to inspect the magnets..that's when I found this laying there looking at me..fortunately the only thing I see it hit is the radiator overflow tube...so I'm tempted to remove the controversial fan and water pump...
Attachments
20200525_164541.jpg

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: What was that ??

Post by tdump » Mon May 25, 2020 6:34 pm

I just bought a new fan blade for my project,I think it was 12 bucks?
MOST of the fan blades I pickup in junk piles and out of stashes, are cracked.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon May 25, 2020 6:49 pm

To prevent metal fatigue on those new fans, scratch up the back side of the pressed 1/4” ridges. Take Ultra Black silicone and run some beads into them and let it dry for about two days, install. Acts like a harmonic damper.

Hank

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Mon May 25, 2020 7:58 pm

You only lost a fan blade - on the pavement ? If so, consider yourself lucky. I lost a fan blade on my ‘14 and it stuck into the bottom of the top tank of a 1 week old Brass Works brass radiator. So I got to fix both radiator and fan. Expect
100 + year old spinning fan blades to develop age cracks. Just include a fan inspection on your periodic maintenance checklist - right between U joint greasing and toe in.

And by all means, lose that waterpump. IF, IF your T is overheating, find and fix the cause. You might find it a little more ‘peppy’ w/o the ‘pump...
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic