Steering wheel spider

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bob in Texas
First Name: Bobby
Last Name: Wright
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout Fire Chief’s car,1924 Simms TT Fire Truck, 1927 Howe TT Fire Truck
MTFCA Number: 37124
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22715

Steering wheel spider

Post by Bob in Texas » Tue May 26, 2020 6:52 pm

I have a steering wheel spider that has a riveted hub and certainly look like a Model T spider. I would be for a pretty small steering wheel.
Different than other spiders I have this one doesn't seem to have a tapered shaft. The shaft hole is same size on either side. Did some model Ts have strait shafts for the steering wheels?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast.
"I was too young to know better.
Now I am too old to care."

Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Re: Steering wheel spider

Post by Jim Sims » Tue May 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Model T's all have the non tapered shafts. You have the common T spider.

Topic author
Bob in Texas
First Name: Bobby
Last Name: Wright
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout Fire Chief’s car,1924 Simms TT Fire Truck, 1927 Howe TT Fire Truck
MTFCA Number: 37124
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22715

Post by Bob in Texas » Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Jim---
Thanks for your response. It inspired me to get up and go to the shop and see what was going on. And you are correct They are straight and the reason this one didn't fit was it just needed a serious cleaning to get it on. And I learned my assumption Model T steering wheels would only do on in one direction was incorrect. Love it when I learn something Thanks.
Bob on Upper Texas Gulf Coast.
"I was too young to know better.
Now I am too old to care."

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Wed May 27, 2020 11:49 pm

I was in Reno one year and went to the museum where they had the Model T prop from Flubber and I noticed they had the steering wheel on upside down I mentioned it to the curator and he was adamant it was on correctly and I equally assured him it was not, he responded that it can't go on upside down, I said the proof is right there that it can. He dug out the advertising poster in total frustration only to find it was on upside down. He changed it right there in front of me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic