Strange Discovery / Plug Wire Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Strange Discovery / Plug Wire Question

Post by paddy1998 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm

My engine (26) seemed like it was running a little rough and I thought there might be a miss, so I pulled a spark plug (Motorcraft F11) and it was just a mess (excessive carbon, but dry) so I decided to just throw on new set of plugs and wires.

At some point in the past a previous owner installed a belt driven distributor that has no apparent identifying markings on the outside. Because I'm doing new plugs and wires I figured a new cap and rotor would probably be a good idea.

So I removed the cap to try and figure out what the heck it is. Inside the cap is inscribed "Remy 6980."

After about two hours of Google searching I learned that this distributor comes out of a 1918-1927 CHEVROLET!!

And add injury to insult, a new one will cost me $90!! Not the distributor, the cap! And the rotor? $55 :x

Needles to say, if it comes to that I am NOT paying $145 plus tax and shipping for a GM cap and rotor for my Model T. Instead, after seeing what these antique Chevrolet enthusiasts seem to be willing to pay I might be able to sell this distributor for what it would cost me for a new distributor from Texas T Parts.

Anyway, that was the long way around to my question: Can I just use an auto parts store universal wire kit or is there something special about spark plug wires (resistance, etc.)?
Attachments
IMG_20200526_160354.jpg
IMG_20200526_160306.jpg
IMG_20200526_160403.jpg
IMG_20200526_160237.jpg

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Strange Discovery / Plug Wire Question

Post by DHort » Wed May 27, 2020 1:36 am

You can use bare barb wire if you want. It really works.

If you get a Texas T distributor ask Bill if he has or can include the spark plug wires.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed May 27, 2020 5:01 am

My personal opinion? (Sorry about any offense?) I have seen several such belt driven distributor setups over the years, and I do not like them. Whether they use a vintage distributor (not common), or a modern four cylinder distributor (most of them?) The drive system is not very authentic or era proper in any sense of antique automobiles. To be fully informative, there were a few chain driven distributors setups back in the day, some used something akin to bicycle chain. Although this is sort off like those, it isn't really the same thing. And the mounting is usually a bit hokey on these types.
I will not say that one should not use the modern distributors made for model Ts. The truth is, back in the day, there were dozens of different ones made, they all looked somewhat different, and the new ones look sort of like the originals in a general way. While I personally prefer the model T timer and coils, or on some cars era correct original magnetos or distributors, I have run a couple model Ts with modern distributors myself. I am certainly not going to chastise anyone else for doing so.

I would recommend trying to sell this thing to someone with a '20s Chevrolet that needs it. Whether you want to put it back to the timer and coils or the new distributor made for a model T? That is your call. And either way, it will look better than this silly thing does.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Wed May 27, 2020 6:00 am

Wouldn't the belt drive be a bit problematic? I would think that it could cause timing problems because of slippage of the belt? Just curious, I've never seen one of those before. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed May 27, 2020 7:04 am

David S, They use a modern timing belt with teeth on it. Something that did not exist much over fifty years ago, let alone when the model T was even just a used car.
As I said, I have seen a few of these. Between the hokey mounting, modern belts and pulleys, they just look bad. I think one of the decent new distributors for a model T is a much better option. Personally, I think for most model Ts, getting back to a timer and coils is an even better solution. But sometimes, for a variety of reasons, that isn't always so simple. So if a T owner decides to run the modern distributor? I say fine.
I did see a big expensive non-Ford on a tour one time that had a similar hokey distributor, because the original pot metal major parts had disintegrated. In that case, anything reasonable to keep the car on the road and enjoy it. I did not know the owner, but he said he and a couple other owners of similar cars were in the process of casing new parts with aluminum. So I and as far as I know everybody else on the tour was just happy to see the car on the tour.

thom
First Name: Tommy
Last Name: Coffey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Touring

Post by thom » Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 am

Model Ts aren't supposed to have distributors.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed May 27, 2020 10:09 am

Or, as RDR called them, disturbutors. :D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 27, 2020 10:25 am

Yes sticker shock! Could be why people don't drive other brands of cars as much as we do our Fords. The cap, points and rotor would be around $60 plus shipping from The Filling Station if it were the 1927/28 distributor.
From what I can see in the photos, the cap, rotor and wires look to be in good shape and should give lots of years of service.
I had to do some searching for a distributor body to replace the one on a 25 Chevrolet that I was working on. Some of the bodies that Chevrolet used were cast white metal, this one looks to be cast iron which is what I looked for and found. The pot metal one on the car was coming apart, being held together with epoxy. The replacement I found was around $60 with shipping Resale value depending on what modifications have been done to the shaft and distributor body. If I was going to sell it, I would try selling everything; belt brackets links pulley distributor wires etc as a package first.
If I were going to replace the wires, I would get the spark plug wire from one of the car suppliers like Snyder's, Lang's or Chaffin's and make my own set.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 am

thom wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 am
That distributor is perfect for a Model T. It shows inventiveness, individualism, creative skills and resourcefulness in keeping the car on the road longer then the car the parts came from. I am glad that even in today's world there are still creative people still coming up with new things, some good some bad, for our Model T's. :D
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:09 am

thom wrote:
Really?
Attachments
technology.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Post by paddy1998 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:38 am

Mark Gregush wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:36 am
thom wrote:
That distributor is perfect for a Model T. It shows inventiveness, individualism, creative skills and resourcefulness in keeping the car on the road longer then the car the parts came from. I am glad that even in today's world there are still creative people still coming up with new things, some good some bad, for our Model T's. :D
Having slept on it, I think I'm going to keep that distributor if I can. It's period correct, servers it's purpose, and is a uniquely interesting attribute to my particular T.

Given its provenance (no vehicle was manufactured with it after 1927) I don't think the purists can complain about it any more than they can complain about Rocky Mountain brakes, or a Ruckstell rear end, or a Warford transmission.

:mrgreen:

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed May 27, 2020 5:12 pm

If it’s in the era of your T then it would be OK to use In my mind. I have a Wester Auto 1926 T parts catalog that has all kind of accessories for T’s.
To each their own. My cars don’t have distributors in them and if the 24 Coupe that I inherited from my Grandfather had one I would have left it in the car when I restored it.
There is something about having the car your family had that leaves a connection over time.
Just an opinion.

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed May 27, 2020 8:43 pm

To answer your question, you can technically use a "universal" set of wires. But as was mentioned, you could buy the more "correct" looking wire in bulk and ends and build your own. It's really not hard, and I am willing to bet there are youtube videos of it.

I like alot of the comments here, some are really thought out and not just "It ain't stock so get rid of it". As far as your thought of it being period, I don't believe you would have seen a cogged drive belt back then (I could be wrong). If I was going to keep it, I'd re-engineer it for a chain drive. It would definitely look more the part that way.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed May 27, 2020 9:59 pm

If you are planning on touring with your T, I would highly recommend you use coils and timer, or use a distributor available from the T parts vendors. And carry along some spare parts just in case you break down on a tour. That distributor would make a good wall decoration, but not practical for a car which will be driven very often.
Norm

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0

Post by 2nighthawks » Wed May 27, 2020 10:25 pm

To respond to David Strouds' post a bit differently than Wayne Sheldons excellent response,.....on one hand, I don't care too much for that "oddball" belt drive distributor set-up, but on the other hand, many modern engines do very well with modern "toothed" belts to drive the camshaft, and that's a considerable "pulsating" load requiring much more torque than a distributor! So I guess it stands to reason that there should be no problem (depending of course, on the quality & condition of the belts and the wear on the "toothed" pulleys) in driving the very lighter load of a distributor. However, I'm convinced that modern camshaft/timing gear toothed belt drive exists merely due to the much, much lower cost than the machining costs of timing gears, or timing chain and sprockets.

My 2-cents FWIW,.....harold

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic