Removing rear wheels

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Scott Kramer
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Kramer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring,1913 touring,1921 Coupe,1923 lawnroller
MTFCI Number: 13756

Removing rear wheels

Post by Scott Kramer » Wed May 27, 2020 7:38 pm

I am trying to remove the rear wheels on my 1921 T coupe. One of the previous owners was a tool & die machinist. He was always trying to improve the way that parts fit. He had machined the tapered part of the axle & the inside part of the hub, they fit like a glove now. I have tried using my wheel puller with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks Scott

HornsRus
First Name: Charley
Last Name: Shaver
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913

Re: Removing rear wheels

Post by HornsRus » Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 pm

never done this but i always heard this would work, back the nut off couple of turns, then drive it abut some.this should work.charley

Topic author
Scott Kramer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 touring,1913 touring,1921 Coupe,1923 lawnroller

Post by Scott Kramer » Wed May 27, 2020 8:07 pm

Thanks Charley

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Wed May 27, 2020 9:12 pm

If Charlie's method doesn't work, go back to the hub puller, but make sure the wheel opposite of the one you're trying to pull is jacked up off the ground and use a hand sledge or an air hammer to whack the center bolt. :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 pm

Tighten the puller down as tight as you can get it then give then draw bolt a couple good whacks with a large hammer. Tighten the bolt and whack it again. The wheel will come of if you're persistent.

Stephen

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Don't whack the nut with a sledge hammer! Sure way to ruin the threads on the end of the axle! You need an axle driver. They can be bought and thread onto the end of the axle after you remove the nut. If you don't have one leave the nut on about half way on the end of the axle and half way off. Then install a bolt which is exactly the size of the nut and tighten the bolt to the end of the axle. I happen to have the rear end of a drive shaft which broke off right at the end of the pinion sleeve. The thread is the same as the end of the axle, so I can thread it into the nut and tighten to the axle. Leave the wheel on the ground and jack up the opposite side, It usually doesn't take very much whacking to get it loose, especially of you loosen the nut first and drive it around in a circle starting and stopping, and backing up. I usually can drive it back and forth in the driveway and it loosens up.
Norm

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Thu May 28, 2020 12:25 am

Of course, you want to screw the nut back on the end of the axle shaft backwards until it is flush with the end of the axle to protect the threads. That's how I do it every time and have yet to damage anything.

Stephen

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Thu May 28, 2020 3:04 am

Or use both methods. Use the puller as Stephan said and then drive around as Charlie said. Might take more than one try, but I'd bet it will come off eventually. JMHO Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu May 28, 2020 10:53 am

I knew a guy who did that once, and was unable to get the wheel off. I think there is a slight interference fit from the factory to allow the hub to come off. The best thing to do is to leave the original Ford taper. I hope you get it off somehow.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu May 28, 2020 1:12 pm

I do not know if Mark was clear on his. I had to do it his way one time. You jack up the opposite wheel you are trying to get off. Then you whack the wheel that is jacked up. Now put the wheel down and go over and use the puller. It finally worked for me after I had already driven around the cul de sac with the nut loose, and that did not work.

JEC
First Name: John
Last Name: Cox
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1925 Pickup

Post by JEC » Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 pm

If like an aircraft propeller shaft the taper is slightly different between the hub and axle.
The contact is a small area at the hub end of the shaft. If further out on the axle you will end up with a broken axle.

Topic author
Scott Kramer

Post by Scott Kramer » Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 pm

I got the 2 rear wheels off this afternoon. Last night I put some penetrating oil in the keyways of the hub/axle. I remembered that I had bought a heavy duty puller at Hershey years ago. The puller that I started with was a lighter one made by Mossberg. The heavier one has no name. Well two cracks with a hand held sledge hammer & a 2 foot Johnson bar on the puller & the hub came off. Thanks everyone for the help. Scott

otrcman
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Fischer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring

Post by otrcman » Thu May 28, 2020 7:27 pm

You got it off ! Well done. Any way you do it must have been the best way providing nothing was ruined in the process.

Some time back I borrowed one of the reproduction hub pullers from a friend. I tightened it as much as I dared, and nothing happened. I tried rapping the hub and the puller several times but to no avail.

Finally I called my friend and asked, "what next ?" He said to go work on something else and check in the morning to see if I couldn't tighten the puller a little more. Next morning I was able to get maybe 1/16 turn more on the puller. Still nothing.

The following morning I tightened again, maybe another 1/16 turn. But the hub still didn't pop off.

On the third morning I came out and began to tighten the puller once again. Strangely, the puller turned easily. I removed the puller and the wheel came off the axle effortlessly.

Some time during the night there must have been a loud "POP" like a gunshot. If that had happened while I was working in the shop on something else I probably would have had a heart attack.

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Thu May 28, 2020 11:18 pm

Now remember to take those wheels off once a year so you dont have this problem again. You should examine your axles and clean n regrease your bearings every year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic