Dressing/Protection for Black Tires

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
David Coleman
First Name: David
Last Name: Coleman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Currently 1923 Touring; Previously 2 different 1926 tudors
MTFCA Number: 1950

Dressing/Protection for Black Tires

Post by David Coleman » Thu May 28, 2020 5:02 pm

I have a set of 30 x 3 1/3 tires on my '23 touring. They aren't new, but decent enough drivers with minimal checking, etc. Do any of the commercial tire 'dressing' or 'shine' chemical provide any real protection? Help to preserve the tires? Or is it all Voodoo ?? Thnx, d

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Dressing/Protection for Black Tires

Post by John kuehn » Thu May 28, 2020 8:45 pm

Don’t know about tire dressing. Maybe something for a shine or so but not so much about keeping them fresh. If they are older tires and you don’t drive a lot they are probably OK as is. The dressing won’t renew them I don’t think.
Others will have an opinion.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

Great question - My immediate thought was for UV protection - I have used several products but only one lasted. So I did a bit of research to see what I might buy. To plagiarize several websites. I'm sure that there are many good products available in this space
There are generally three different types of tire dressing groups, dressings waxes, and sealants
-Dressing are made from water-borne or solvent based and silicone based materials, that are combined with oils that help to penetrate the rubber and restore the product. Basically, it serves as a lubricant to re-hydrate dried-out rubber – which is a leading source of fading.
The solvent-based product is intended to leave a wet-appearance. They are sticky liquids, often clear in appearance, and contain petroleum solvents. While they make the tire look great, they can lead to premature cracking or drying of the sidewall. This can be a safety hazard, as it’s possible for tires to pop if the sidewall is cracked.
What are the Pros and Cons of Tire Dressing Products?
The water-based tire dressing is much more environmentally friendly. However, there are some pros and cons that you should consider before deciding to use these products.
Pros
They can help to prevent fading, cracking, and hardening of tire sidewalls.
It helps to revitalize the condition of the rubber.
It can be used as an aerosol or spray bottle – making it easy to apply.
Biodegradable and environmentally conscious (the water-based products).
Cons
Solvent-based tire dressings can easily sling onto your paint, as they remain ‘wet’.
Petroleum distillates in these formulas can also harm the tire, expediting cracking.
Applying aerosol tire dressings can easily spray onto brake rotors – leading to premature brake failure.
Should not be used on motorcycle tires – EVER! (makes slippery side walls - bikes lean into a curve on sidewalls)
Wax-based are long lasting tire dressing products that are basically designed like shoe polish. You apply it to the tire, leave it on the sidewall of the tire for a bit, then wipe or buff it off.
The sealant type of tire dressing is synthetic in nature, that provides a layer of protection on top of the tire.
Within these three groups of tire dressing, there are those that are matte, satin, or glossy.
-Long lasting tire gloss products do not act as an all-purpose cleaner. They are not made to remove dirt, brake dust, or replace your routine car wash. They can help to provide UV protection for the tire sidewall surface and keep them shiny.
-Spray or aerosol tire shine products contain chemical agents – mainly alcohols that dry the rubber – as opposed to treating or hydrating them. So best to avoid aerosol tire dressing products like the plague
Found a review om 3 products. I'd buy Meguires based on the Pro's and Con's
Attachments
tire shine.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Terry_007
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Bond
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1915 Chassis
MTFCI Number: 15718

Post by Terry_007 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Most products provide way too much shine. I've been using a Meguires product called "Natural Shine Protectant" that gives a natural finish. It's advertised for interiors but I've used it on tires for years. It claims to have "superior UV protection." Have found it cleans really well, does not streak or look uneven after application, dries to a nice natural look quickly, and lasts a reasonably long time. I don't like to see that that black glossy/greasy look on Model Ts.
Terry

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by mtntee20 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:19 am

Google Aerospace 303 Protectant. You'll have the best rubber, vinyl, and plastic treatment you can get. I use it and am impressed with the performance.

Good Luck.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri May 29, 2020 10:09 am

I can't remember the details anymore (nothing new there) as it was several years ago, but the guy who put
the tires on my previous Ford pickup truck vehemently said that any and all "tire treatments" are detrimental to the rubber.
That's all I can remember. But he went into detail, and certainly sounded convincing. I mean, like he coulda just as
easily promoted the "healthy use" of treatments in an effort to expedite tire sales, so why wouldn't I believe him. Just saying.

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Fri May 29, 2020 11:57 am

The old time dressing and protectant was brake fluid. Now before someone comments that it hurts rubber, remember there are rubber seals in wheel cylinders and brake hoses.

rickd
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Duquette
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring, 1914 Touring, 1925 Touring, 1927 PU, 1955 T Bird, 69 Shelby GT 350
MTFCA Number: 21848
MTFCI Number: 22173
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by rickd » Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm

I have had very good luck with Nu-Vinyl. Leaves the tires with a satin black finish and keeps them protected for quite awhile. Works great on your top as well. Its hard to find in stores in my area so I order case lots from Amazon.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri May 29, 2020 1:00 pm

Good point John, but something tells me todays "stuff" may have something else in it. Whow knows, I'm just not taking any chances.
They didn't use it "back in the day"...so why start now? LOL

DickC
First Name: Dick
Last Name: Cruickshank
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Depot Hack, 1916 Touring

Post by DickC » Sat May 30, 2020 9:37 am

John M, glad you mentioned brake fluid as I thought about it but also knew some would comment negatively. I used it back in the 50's when I worked in a gas station and the lead mechanic and I invested in "back row" used cars. We would buy cars from two dealers that they would put into a back row and didn't want to spend time with them but sell newer cars . We would clean them up, service them and fix anything that was necessary. I used brake fluid to make the tires, (that were safe), look better. Sometimes we doubled/tripled the cost of the car. One comes to mind was a beautiful 1952 Chev hardtop. Later in life when my collecting habit started, I was into car shows with a local AACA club. We would go to a show about every week as a club. At the time I had a 1937 Packard with 31,000 original miles and previously owned by the proverbial "old maid school teacher" who only drove the car for shopping on Saturday and church on Sunday. I began using Johnson's Lemon Pledge on the tires. Before someone says it, they didn't smell better but both the brake fluid and the polish provide a nice dull sheen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic