Recommendations for rebuilding coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dunoon
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 coupe

Recommendations for rebuilding coils

Post by dunoon » Sun May 31, 2020 9:58 am

I'm wanting to have my coils rebuilt I've contacted both Mize/Lawson. Have anyone had any experience with these guys? Looking for recommendations. Thanks

Bill Anziani
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Anziani
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe

Re: Recommendations for rebuilding coils

Post by Bill Anziani » Sun May 31, 2020 10:21 am

Brent did mine with the ECCT. Excellent job, and quick turn around

JRSpada4
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Spadafore
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49891
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by JRSpada4 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 pm

Brent Mize did mine a few years ago. Very reasonable price. Quick turnaround. And the coils come back looking brand new. I couldn’t believe the difference in how the engine ran after having them rebuilt.

Ralph F
First Name: Ralph
Last Name: Fitz-Gerald

Post by Ralph F » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:55 pm

I had Erik Larson do mine with ecct.
Fitz

Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:13 pm

I sent mine to osoloso in Minnesota. Kinda scetchty. Turns out he does great work! Almost free but not quite. :D :D

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:10 am

Steve Jelf's Coils 001.JPG
Ron Patterson did mine. Excellent. Brent Mize also has a great reputation.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:34 am

What is the ball-park price range for a good coil rebuild?

Brent Mize
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Mize
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Runabout 1927 Sport Touring
MTFCA Number: 10000

Post by Brent Mize » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:09 am

I usually don’t respond due to being in business.
The price per coil is $40 for wood top and $50 for brass top due to added finishing and insulators.
That’s the price I have charged for the last ten years. Others rebuilders may differ. I got my guidance and training from Ron Patterson. He’s always been great to support and help me with problems and questions. His work is impeccable.
I can set them up on the Strobospark or the ECCT. That’s your call. I have no preference.
This is not advertisement but rather an answer to your question. All of this is on my website as well.
Thank you for your time,
Brent Mize

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:26 am

...And Brent is my coil man too. I ditto all the good recommendations above
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Darin Hull
First Name: Darin
Last Name: Hull
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Model T
MTFCA Number: 29699
MTFCI Number: 25147
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Darin Hull » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:56 pm

I'm sure all of the names mentioned do fine work. Mize did my coils. Excellent turnaround time, customer service, and communication.

Darin

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:17 pm

Brent, I don't think you should be shy about posting. Like anyone else in the T world, if you are knowledgeable, people want to hear it. I was HOPING someone in the profession would chime in. Thanks!
I wasn't asking for a to-the-penny quote. I just wanted to get some idea of what it costs, in general, to have a good job done.
I'm sure there are some guys doing it out there, and charging $10. But I'm not looking for a $10 coil job.
Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:19 am

Richard, any of these guys mentioned will do good justice to a set of coils. :)
Brent, thank you for what you do and Bill, I believe that's what I paid also. Cheap. In the long term.
Blew me away too when I put some HOT coils in the box from Andy Loso up here! Need to drop some more on his deck...
I'm not concerned about which method they are set up with. HOT.
Mike, that reminded me of your dad... :lol: These guys know coils.
I turned the carb down a full turn. Vroom.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 am

My 4 Ford Coils should be coming in the mail today.I sent them to Ron Patterson and the turn around was quick.
I put 4 that he fixed in the chassis that is now my pickup back in 2008 and I don't think the lid has been off but once since then.No need to remove it,the coils work.
I have not started the engine on my speedster project yet until those coils get here.I figure if there is any issues with starting,the coils will not be the issue and I can pass that and troubleshoot elsewhere.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:53 pm

I’ve done my own, using home made testers (recently FACT). But looking at those coils and hearing the price I have to say that I am tempted to get a set done professionally!

Matt

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:09 am

Several local guys here have had Erik Larson rebuild their coils and have all been super pleased with the performance. Adjusting them with the latest electronic device like the ECCT will allow the coils to all fire at the same amount of time for smoother and better performance. I would look to have them done by someone that uses the most sensitive and modern equipment.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:50 am

Guys,
Don't knock the HCCT adjusted coils,
If done properly they would be the better choice for a model T on the magneto because they are set for Alternating Current (magneto supplied power) and not for Direct Current (battery supplied power) as Henry(RIP) intended. Granted, they are harder to adjust because there is more work with a HCCT than doing than an Electronic Tester but that's part of the game. I suppose the next step could be to buy a more modern car if you want less work and more speeeed....Regards Neil.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:27 pm

The HCCT is a wonderful piece of automotive history and innovation for testing Model T coils developed back in the day. It remains a viable tool for adjusting coils to the satisfaction of users today.

Neil Martin wrote: "If done properly they" (HCCT adjusted coils) "would be the better choice for a model T on the magneto because they are set for Alternating Current (magneto supplied power) and not for Direct Current (battery supplied power) as Henry(RIP) intended"

While this is certainly true for DC powered Buzz Box coil testers, it does not apply to more sophisticated DC powered electronic equipment capable of applying a fast DC pulse to the coil under test while accurately measuring the Time it takes the coil to fire spark. Adjusting all 4 coils for the same firing Time using this method (known as the Dwell Time to Fire method) has consistently earned praise over all other methods of adjustment from those who actually experienced the difference. The following explanation is offered to help explain why using DC to stimulate the coil under test can actually mimic normal Model T magneto operation more accurately than the HCCT.

The HCCT briskly cranked at 2 revolutions per second (120 RPM) produces an AC output voltage pulse that rises abnormally slow to an abnormally low voltage level compared with magneto output operating at normal engine speed (1000 RPM). Here is a plot illustrating the 120 RPM HCCT magneto voltage output (blue trace) compared with magneto output at normal engine speed (red trace - 1000RPM) and 12V DC battery operation (green trace). Note that 12V DC powered electronic test equipment pulse (Green trace) more closely mimics the positive magneto output pulse at normal engine speeds (Red Trace) compared with the briskly cranked HCCT output (Blue trace). The HCCT positive AC pulse takes over 8 times as long to reach its peak value (4V) that is less than 1/3 the amplitude of the magneto output (>12V) at normal engine speed. In summary, just because the Model T magneto output produces an Alternating Current does not mean the coil test stimulus Must be an Alternating Current pulse. A fast Direct Current pulse can actually mimic the magneto output voltage at normal operating speeds better than an abnormally slow rising Alternating Current pulse with abnormally low peak voltage value.

Mag output vs RPM.JPG
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Poppie
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 11 tourer 18 tourer 18 TT

Post by Poppie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 am

I'll still say, Don't knock the Hcctester for coil test and set up.
Mike Kossor, Re voltage traces on your graph and I was under the impression that the T magneto gave a voltage range of +or-- 8 to 28 volts .
Why don't you mention the maximum minus magneto voltage (That is the voltage generated under your zero line) generated in your formula? Doesn't it count in voltage feed to the coil bank. Try comparing output of a half wave rectified battery charger and a full wave rectified charger.
Why was the blue trace started at minus 4 volts and the other two at zero volts? I feel it is misleading .
In the comparison it is lagging about 16m/s .
Electricity is a fantastic subject especially in Model T's and I am willing to learn every day. Far beats watching T V.
My last Query... Your red trace, Is it a true trace from a T magneto or an electronic generated one? Your one seems too spikey.
Thanks for your time...Regards Neil.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:43 am

Neil, I am not knocking the HCCT, I was responding to your comment which is not supported by the test data I have taken and contrary to the experience of others as explained in my post. Regarding your questions:

A typical Model T magneto will produce a voltage output in the range of 8V to 28V measured on an analog AC volt meter Operating at NORMAL engine RPM. That was my point! An HCCT does put out the same AC voltage waveform BUT with abnormally S L O W rise time that only reaches about 4V PEAK which would only measure about 2.3V on an AC volt meter at a BRISK hand cranking speed of 120 RPM.

Regarding magneto voltage polarity; The magneto does produce an AC voltage of positive and negative voltage pulses as illustrated in my diagram. At normal engine speed of 1000 RPM (Red Trace), the simulated magneto voltage pulses range between -18V to +18V. At briskly hand cranked speed, 120 RPM (Blue Trace), the simulated magneto voltage pulses range between -4V and +4V. Note that only a single magneto pulse cycle occurs (-4V to +4V back to -4V) at hand crank speed in the same time 8 cycles are produced (-18V to +18V to -18V) when the magneto is operating at normal engine speed (1000 RPM). My point is; the HCCT excitation of the coil under test is definitely AC as you stated BUT the voltage rise time abnormally slow AND abnormally low in peak voltage value; far different conditions than the coil actually operates at normal engine speed on magneto so not necessarily the best test conditions for adjusting coil points. Regarding voltage polarity; The coil functions fairly equally by positive voltage pulses and negative voltage pulses. Which polarity of voltage pulse the coils will be operated in your car depends upon how the magneto is wired. Once the spark lever is advanced to the 3rd magneto voltage pulse which typically provides best performance, the polarity of the voltage pulses will remain the same polarity (positive OR negative) regardless of engine RPM. The magneto voltage does NOT alternate polarity when the coil produces its spark. The coil begins charging when the magneto output rises from 0V and fires spark near the next voltage peak that occurs. This is why a fast 12V pulse of DC voltage is a good approximation of the magneto output operating at normal engine speeds and good for adjusting coil points.

The voltage wave forms I provided are simulated output, Not measured voltages. They serve to illustrate the relative relationships between voltage magnitude and time scale. I hope this information was informative and educational.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic