Closed Car Rear and Side Window Installation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Closed Car Rear and Side Window Installation

Post by OilyBill » Sun May 31, 2020 1:22 pm

Anyone have some good recommendations about how to get to forum posts (hopefully with pics) regarding putting in the fixed windows on a closed car? (Specifically a 1927 Coupe) I have found PILES of stuff on putting in the door glass, so no problem there. But when I search for the rear window or side window fixed glass installation, I'm not getting much except some conversational posts, mostly about other things.
Thanks, everyone!

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Closed Car Rear and Side Window Installation

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm

Making a wild somewhat educated guess; The quarter and back windows have a rubber channel around them and are held in place by the trim. Those windows would be installed after the upholstery because the trim holds both glass and upholstery in place. The rear window also should have some corner gussets that was being asked about on a thread within the last month. Depending on your rear window framing (wood or steel) as to which type you would need, hard rubber or steel.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Squirrel » Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm

I just took the trim off the quarter glass on my 27 coupe. The glass is held in a rubber channel, and the metal garnish holds it in place. But the trim fits over the garnish, so you install the glass before the trim.

I might remove the trim around the back glass next, if so I'll share some pictures of it.
quarter glass 1.png

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Squirrel » Sun May 31, 2020 3:37 pm

I removed the garnish for the back glass.

I hope these pictures help. This car has been redone at some time (red vinyl is not original?) but it appears the trim was installed as the original had been.
back glass1.jpg

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 pm

William: Lang's offers rear and side coupe window rubber channel, p/#'s 8030 & 8035. The rear is $6.95 for an 80" long piece. https://www.modeltford.com/item/8030.aspx That's what I'd start with, other vendors may have it too. Good luck with your project, jb

Topic author
OilyBill

Post by OilyBill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:47 am

AWESOME!
Thank you everyone for the pics! I now understand it to be:
The rubber seal is installed on the glass, the glass/rubber assembly is installed in the cavity in the body, and then the garnish molding is installed and screwed in to hold everything in position for the side quarter glass.
On the rear window, the glass/rubber assembly is put in place, the upholstery trim is installed, and the garnish molding is then installed to trim out the upholstery material, and also hold the window assembly in place.
Is this accurate?
I will be ordering the rubber channel for the glass tomorrow. Is there a particular vendor who has a closer-to-original rubber seal, or are they all the same, and just a stock rubber extrusion?
Thanks again for the assistance, and especially for the pics! I am going over to Frank Shore's tomorrow (Tucson Touring T's) to see how the package tray and the seat bracing is installed, in his 27 Coupe. His is fully restored and a really beautiful example. I will take pics of those.
Pictures are truly worth 1000 words.
I wish we had taken pics of this car as we took it apart. but at that time, no one had a cell phone, and I did not have a camera. Fortunately, we did a pretty good job of identifying and bagging each part as we went. so the questions I have now are mostly simple assembly questions that I SHOULD have asked and noted at the time we took it apart. I learned a lot, and next time will be whole hog on pictures, and maybe even videos of things coming apart. The car was an absolute original, and had never been touched. It also had been stored carefully, so there was only a few mouse nibbles on the upholstery, and that was it.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:09 am

William: The vendors are good about answering questions, Lang's has advised me on several occasions. ( I have no affiliation with Lang's, but they give me very good service.) The glass with edge rubber should fit inside the opening after interior upholstery is fitted. I'd be concerned about the glass falling out if it were put in first and left loose without the molding holding it in place. I would also talk with the vendor about applying a bonding/ sealing primer to the body opening before I installed the glass (like Safelite does with modern glass). I'm sure others who post here know what's best, eg., Don Booth has done many closed coupes, tudors and fordors and might offer some insight on glass installation

I have my '26 coupe apart, with old glass removed and safety glass ready to install, after I restore the body. If there's something you would like a picture of on that car, send me a pm. jab35(at)cornell(dot)edu Best, jb

Topic author
OilyBill

Post by OilyBill » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:27 am

Thanks!
You will probably be hearing from me.
I will be contacting Lang's this morning for the rubber seals. I will also check into the sealer for between the rubber and the window surround surface on the body.
Thanks to everyone for all the good advice!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic