ultra black gasket maker plus gasket?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
bobt
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 touring 1926 roadster

ultra black gasket maker plus gasket?

Post by bobt » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:50 am

Hello. I recently replaced my Transmission bands and I am not happy with the oil leaks now. I own two model ts and I am very aware about them marking their spot. My question is--Should I use the side gaskets with ultra black gasket maker or just the ultra black alone? I plan on using the front felt seal and the rear round gasket. my main leaks were at the pan ears. Thanks, bobt

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: ultra black gasket maker plus gasket?

Post by RajoRacer » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:10 pm

The leaks COULD be coming from the rivets securing the c.c. ears - best wipe all oil down then re-start the engine and LOOK closely !

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:44 pm

Check that the pan gasket surface at the pan ears has not bent downward. I just had to remove my freshly rebuilt engine because I had a major oil leak at the passenger side pan ear. I missed the pan being bent down about an 1/8 inch. My pan was tested on my pan jig, and a flashlight, as well as a feeler gauge inserted from the inside, showed the pan was OK. But because the gasket surface lip was bent down, there was no support for the gasket. My leak was a stream the size of a pencil. I had no trouble seeing it :) :) .

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:55 pm

I don't use the felt seal but do use the side gaskets with Ultra-Black. I use a bead of Ultra-Black in place of the felt. I also wipe the gasket surfaces with oil to leave a slight film so the parts will come apart.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic