Gas Tank Refurbishing / Renu

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
schoutenbr
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Schouten
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50936
MTFCI Number: 25285
Board Member Since: 2020

Gas Tank Refurbishing / Renu

Post by schoutenbr » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:25 am

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with a gas tank that has been refurbished with the Renu process that is offered out there by various repair shops, or have any other suggestions for refurbishing a gas tank? The gas tank in my 1926 Touring is in need of refurbishing, the sediment bulb upon inspection was full of rust sediment given that the tank has corrosion issues. There appear to be no leaks in the tank so that a refurbishing of the tank should take care of the issue. I'm aware that there are no new replacement tanks offered out there for the 1926/1927 Model Ts. I do already have the tank out and I'm ready to send it off for refurbishing. By the way, I agree with everyone out there who has indicated that removing a 1926/1927 cowl tank is a challenge, but I did get mine out! Thanks in advance for any information/guidance that you may have.
1926 Touring

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Gas Tank Refurbishing / Renu

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:54 am

10 years ago, after removing the rust with a diluted 50/50 mixture of Muriatic Acid and water, I lined my ‘26 tank with POR-15 (www.por15.com). I used the silver color in that it helps in seeing in the tank during tank inspections. When you reach the coating stage, seal the tank with pipe plug and gas tank lid and pour an entire quart in and slosh it around until everything is coated, then drain through the sediment bulb drain port into the POR quart can for re-use elsewhere. Take care to chase the drain port threads and soak the gas tank lid in lacquer thinner to clear the port and keep it from hardening on the threads or in the gas tank lid breather vent hole. Still looks and works great! Jim Patrick

WayneJ
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Jorgensen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout, 1918 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31697
MTFCI Number: 23399
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by WayneJ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:15 am

I used renu on the gas tank from a 1955 Plymouth, 6 years ago. No issues since.
Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL
1915 Runabout
1918 Runabout

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:25 am

I had my '27 tank cleaned after which the repair shop "sloshed" it with some sort of a red coating. Other then having a bad gasoline issue which was my own fault, I have had no tank issues. And yes - those cowl tanks are a bear to service.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic