Body and Serial Number Data Collection Input Wanted

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Body and Serial Number Data Collection Input Wanted

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:52 am

We have had numerous discussions over the years about the possible correlations between body serial numbers and and car/engine serial numbers. With our new format, we may have an opportunity to collect data from current and past owners of surviving cars in a practical way.
I have traded a few notes with Admin Jeff about this, and he says it is probably doable. So, we need to come up with some parameters for the information we think we would want/need to accomplish this.
A few of my thoughts. What we need is an ongoing effort to correlate body serial numbers and engine serial numbers in order to develop a probable timeline between them. Early brass era should also try to correlate the serial number used on the firewall data plate. Early brass era cars (up to about 1911) may be better served by researching the shipping/invoice information in the archives. This all would mostly be for brass era cars, however it could even go well into the black era cars, especially coupes and sedans which for many years were provided by outside suppliers.
Primary information wanted will be original engine number if known, body maker if known (there were several during the brass era), body serial number and date code if applicable, and the firewall "car" serial number on either the data plate on the firewall or small tag on either the firewall or front seat riser (again, if applicable).
A problem is that some misinformation will undoubtedly be gathered. To that end, I am thinking of some rating assessments of the car's general originality. Maybe a "one to four" scale of "believed mostly original and mostly correct down to a car with many changed or incorrect pieces.

If we do this? I think it will basically have to be an honor system to gather individual data points. Ask for a short, simple, known history? Rate the car's overall correctness. It could be done in any of many ways. I was toying with a four level rating. 1: Car assembled from multiple sources, maybe quite a few incorrect parts. 2: Maybe assembled from multiple sources, most parts close to right, or maybe somewhat an original car with many pieces changed over the years. 3: Whether basically an original car or restored, is believed to be a survivor and mostly original pieces, but some changes. 4: All original, or believed to be restored from an intact original car, and retaining most of its original major parts.
Maybe also an overall "confidence level" that all key serial numbered parts are original to the car?

What are your opinions? Good idea? Bad idea? Do you think it could work?
Certainly, this isn't an Earth-shaking super important something that could lead to world peace, or anything of the kind. But it could help model T owners date their cars if the engine had been changed in the past. It could help restorers better choose the right parts for their car. We have on the forum tried before to gather some of this information. However, on the old format, it quickly sank out of sight. Now, we may have an opportunity that could continue to work for a long time.

Belliott3
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Elliott
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Model T Touring
MTFCA Number: 52438
MTFCI Number: 22121
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Body and Serial Number Data Collection Input Wanted

Post by Belliott3 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:01 am

Wayne, I for one am all for it; thank you for taking the lead! I don't see why other early (or later) T owners wouldn't want to divulge their car's known or guessed originality. After all, we don't really own these cars; we are merely caretakers for future T owners and as such, we owe it to them to keep as accurate information as we can. Thinks about it this way; if you were considering buying a fairly expensive, early brass car wouldn't you want to know the history of any repairs or restorations done to the car? Wouldn't you want to know if it has all original parts or had the body replaced? Would it make a difference to you (and the price) if it was a "built" car from bits and pieces of other cars? I think the answer is yes, so let's get on board with Wayne's suggestion. I'll be happy to submit my car's full known information and look forward to what other early cars have to say!

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 am

Wayne, are the archives you mentioned searchable online or would one need to visit the Benson Ford Library?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 am

I strongly suspect my 1915 was assembled from parts in the seventies. The engine serial number is the only number I've found on it. Is there any reason to include cars like that?
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 am

14832783 is the number stamped on the engine of my '27 touring car. The same number is also stamped on the frame rail under the passenger side front floorboard. This corresponds to March of '27. Although the car has been repainted and reupholstered, it appears to be about as original as a 91-year-old car can be.

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Thank you Bill E! It may take a little while to get this going. Then we can see where it goes.

Mark N, The last I heard, MOST of the material at the archive is not searchable on the internet. There is a huge amount of material there, much of which has never even been cataloged. Some of it is in its original format, and would first have to be scanned, and some of it was photographed decades ago and is now on microfiche. I have never been there, and likely will never be able to. All I know about it is what I have read (mostly on this forum over the past twenty years), and much of what I have read may not even be true anymore. Some information is readily available. I understand that for a small fee, one can get the build information for a specific car provided it happens to be one of the many cars in those few early years for which the information has been found. My understanding is that some but not all 1909 and 1910 (and maybe into early '11?) build sheets or shipping invoices survive and were cataloged some years back. But you would need to contact them directly to find out current details.

Steve J, I love your runabout. And I think that you have done a lot of good for it making it more and more correct. That is part of the goal with this idea. To help sort out timeline details to aid other restorers and preservationists in making their cars more correct (I still say that I am not a true purist!). Your car, like mine, may not be a really good set of data points? However, even they can offer some information, and including them I think would be a good idea. Mine, I would rate as a number 2, an assembled car, mostly correct parts. I have almost twenty years in accumulating correct parts for it. (I am not a purist!)

John C, The '26/'27 cars are pretty well understood and sorted out. However, I am not against including them. Who knows where such a list could go? It could help with future provenance and benefit the car fifty years from now?

One of the main goals is to help outsourced bodies in being dated. What year is that center-door or coupe? As it stands, if the engine has been changed, or enough other details replaced? Knowing the difference between a 1919 and a 1921 can be tough. The same can be said for the '24/'25 coupes and sedans. But these cars often had body supplier serial numbers. With enough data points on those, we may be able to date a car to within a couple months by that body serial number. Of course as long as the serial number is still intact on that car.
Again, on the early brass era Ts, some of this information could maybe be correlated by searching through those early build sheets and invoices. However. I can only speculate there myself because I haven't actually seen much of them myself.

Lets see if we can make this work. (More input and opinions may be needed!)

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Wayne

I would contact Hap. I think he is doing this already. Might be a good place to start.

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 am

Hap T has done a lot of work on this. He has also been very busy lately with work and family. So I have been putting off contacting him myself. I have exchanged messages with him in the past, and I hope he will be interested in this now. I don't have a lot of time either, due to family issues. However I was forcibly retired a few years ago, and therefore have some time available (usually late at night).

Hap_Tucker
First Name: Hap
Last Name: Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 100
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Hap_Tucker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 am

Wayne and others,

Yes, I am very interested in this topic. But currently I can relate to the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon that says: "God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind I will never die."

I will gladly work with you or anyone on this. But I am really slow right now. I can make my files available -- let me know if you want a copy. Yes, I have some information, mostly on the 1915ish cars, but also limited. I have a little more information on the Beaudett (also spelled Beaudette) body numbers. But even for them I have very little hard data.

I would recommend looking at pages 489 to 499 of Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford." He has the body numbers and body maker (manufacturer) listed for many of the Model Ts manufactured during the Jul 1910 to Aug 1911 time frame. Note he only is trying to list every 100th engine/car number. So it is far from a complete listing.

As Trent mentioned in a different thread -- there is not a nice correlation between the body numbers, engine numbers, car numbers (ok car numbers were the same as engine serial numbers up until Oct 6, 1911 for USA cars ref http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc11.htm -- note they used the term body number and they should have used the term "car number" i.e. the number on the ID patent plate. Note for Canadian cars the engine number and the ID patent plate/car number continued to match well into the 1920s). There are numerous reasons why that is the case. However, so far with the Beaudett body numbers the most I have seen them off from the engine number was about 6 months (I would have to look it up and I do not have time to do that). And in that case we know the body was about 6 months older than the car. But it was a very original car that still had the original upholstery and the upholstery was the 6 months or so later style upholstery. My guess and it is only a guess, is that for some reason that body was not run through the upholstery shop and installed on a car for about 6 months after the body was made. If you look at some of the photos of the upholstery area of the 1915-1917 factories, it appears they staked the bodies vertically on the cowl. And then took them down to add the upholstery. In the photo below note that bodies are stacked between the columns. But also look at the back right hand side. Those bodies appear to be stacked against the wall to me. If they are, then if someone was tasks to never let the crew run out of bodies, they would be motivated to keep putting new bodies in the front of the stack. And to never let the stack get empty. That may or may not have been what really happened. But it is one idea that helps me understand how it might have happened. As well as the body manufacture probably had a sample/bench mark model that folks were supposed to make their bodies look like. (Note as late a the 1929-31 Model A Station Wagons -- the body maker was given a sample body to produce off of and not blue prints ref: my poor memory as my "The Model A Ford as Henry Made It" book is in a box in the garage. But I'm 90% sure I read that in that book. If one of you has easy access to the book -- please check the station wagon section let us know if I remembered correctly or not.)
lr-bodies - stacked factory.JPG
Note the early bodies were delivered to the Ford Factory fully assembled, painted and upholstered -- so depending on when a car was produced the methods used could be different.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off
Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

Thank you Hap! Any suggestions as to questions that should be asked in an owner survey online?

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:13 am

116.jpg
1912 Canadian touring a complete car when purchased 1960. Serial number 146808 Built in Walkerville Ontario Canada Sept 1912. Engine and dash plate are the same, body number G7652 built by Gray and sons Chatham Ontario, Radiator number 7102 built in Walkerville . Four opening doors, all Edmond & Jones lamps and generator, Kingston Coil box,Came with dash drilled for right and left hand drive.

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Wayne-
My database mostly focuses on cars after s/n 70720, although I have some earlier, too. Some of the information I have in my database includes:

Engine serial number
Engine cast date
Head cast date
Patent Plate (body ID tag) number
Body Manufacturer
Body number
On Beaudette bodies only, bead nailed on, or rolled?

I also have information about 1912 cars:

Step or slab-side body
Firewall one piece or two piece?
fore-doors?
fore-doors in place or removed?
back door hinges in front or back?
back door latches handle inside or outside?
(1912 cars get really complicated)

It is critical to know for a fact that the car body & engine were originally together!
My database has lots of holes in it where owners sometimes just don't know. Unfortunately my biggest gaps are in engine casting date and Patent Plate number.

Fortunately, thanks to previous caretakes, I have tons of documentation for my 1911.
1911 original photo 2.JPG
1911 Forest Grove.jpg
: ^ )

Keith

TrentB
First Name: Trent
Last Name: Boggess

Post by TrentB » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi Hap,

I seem to recall that all bodies delivered to Ford before 1914 arrived from the manufacturer painted and trimmed (with floorboards). Beginning in 1914 with the completion of the the four big (!) 6 story buildings (Designated W, X, Y and Z) Ford began receiving bodies in the “white”, that is unpainted and un-upholstered. The following year, 1915, Ford began to build some of their own bodies as well as painting and trimming.

The basic reason for why Ford had to wait for the big 6-storied buildings to be built was because they needed the space for the different layers of paint to dry. I have seen photos of some of the floors inside the 6-storied building filled with Model T touring car bodies stacked on their noses waiting for the paint to dry. Remember that at that time there were 4 different coats of paint on a finished body, and that each coat took 24 hours to dry before the next coat could be applied.

For anyone wanting to know more about how Model T bodies were painted, look for an article that was published in the Vintage Ford in the late 1990s.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Topic author
Wayne Sheldon

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Keith T, Several very good suggestions. 1912 is a tough year, I have often suggested that it may have had more changes throughout the year than any other year did. The only other year that arguably comes close is 1909. This of course in terms of multiple on-going significant changes throughout the whole of the model year, not like the single significant change between '25 and '26 for instance.
Between you, Hap, and a few other long-time researchers here, there are already several lists of vehicles with a lot of useful information. My hope here is to get a broader base across more years. Hopefully, some few years down the road, all the lists can be combined to give a more complete picture of the serial numbers and their relationships. If we can incorporate the timelines of all those changes Ford is so famous for, future caretakers can (if they choose) make their cars much more correct to its timeline.
I like the idea of tracking some of the changes specific to 1912. I have known several people with 1912 Ts. They changed a lot and often. It sometimes seems Ford didn't make the same design for more than two months the entire year. I don't think it was really quite that bad. What with the overlap times, they probably made some variant for at least three months. :roll:

Enos
First Name: Enos
Last Name: Wiseman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Roadster
MTFCI Number: 23641

Post by Enos » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:24 pm

I've had a couple T's and with US numbers. This 27 Roadster I have now has a Can number. Is there a data base to find info on the Canadian cars? Thanks

RussM
First Name: Russell
Last Name: Medhurst
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, 1924 tourer, 1926 coupe

Post by RussM » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:44 pm

My first post so hope I’m doing it correctly. I saw Hap Tucker seeking coupe body numbers but don’t know how to flag this to him.
I have a 27 coupe with no number on the chassis that I can find but a number in the engine compartment on the firewall under the bonnet hinge A5934. I fancy I read somewhere that the prefix meant something. I’m in Australia and it was converted from LHD here but I don’t know if it was US or Canada manufacture. It currently has a 23 engine however I am rebuilding a 27 engine for it. Any information on body manufacturer appreciated.
Thanks
Russell M
Downunder.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:37 am

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:52 am
We have had numerous discussions over the years about the possible correlations between body serial numbers and and car/engine serial numbers. ....
A few of my thoughts. What we need is an ongoing effort to correlate body serial numbers and engine serial numbers in order to develop a probable timeline between them. Early brass era should also try to correlate the serial number used on the firewall data plate....
A problem is that some misinformation will undoubtedly be gathered. To that end, I am thinking of some rating assessments of the car's general originality. Maybe a "one to four" scale of "believed mostly original and mostly correct down to a car with many changed or incorrect pieces.
If we do this? I think it will basically have to be an honor system to gather individual data points. Ask for a short, simple, known history? Rate the car's overall correctness.
Maybe also an overall "confidence level" that all key serial numbered parts are original to the car?

What are your opinions? Good idea? Bad idea? Do you think it could work?
If you are truly going to do a "correlation analysis" you should not excluded data you obtain based on any external influence as noted above. That would bias the results. A true correlation analysis in research is a statistical method used to measure the strength of the linear relationship between two variables and compute the strength of their association.
For example:
From the Model T Encyclopedia " The engine number was also the serial number of the car. Engines were numbered when they were completed, and for the most part went into a chassis within a day or so. However, some engines were assembled and numbered at branch assembly plants. Highland Park would ship a block of engine-number records to an assembly plant and these engines might be made weeks or months afterwards. Consequently, engine numbers can only be used to date the "engine" NOT the car.
Now, correlating the engine number date (month & year) to perceived date of the Model T (even if that date is in dispute) should provide a number of vehicles within the expected range. But there may also be some other groupings , earlier models having engines dated a year later - what might that indicate? Would it substantiate the fact of Highland Park shipments of engine blocks to assembly plants?
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:47 am

I have a 27 coupe with no number on the chassis that I can find...

If it's a USA car it will have the serial number stamped on top of the frame rail under floor board. (Usually the right rail, but sometimes the left.) If it's the same number that's on the engine, the car has its original engine. I don't know if this applies to Canadian cars.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:48 am

It might be interesting to collect as many numbers on all "years" as people are willing to provide, including those appearing on cars known not to be original builds.

Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:44 pm

Why that is a wonderful Idea! Amazingly seven years ago the same suggestion was made. And now like the seven year locust, it has come to the surface again!! I did suggest a simple start with 1922 T Coupes--about 4 responses....

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50 ... 1424784315

A register for Model T Fords
Monday, February 23, 2015 - 10:15 am:
Fifteen Million or so Model T Fords were produced. The guesstimated survival rate may be 300,000 world wide. Has any one through clubs, or associations ever compiled a geographic register identifying motor VIN and current location with owner optional?

Managing a percentage of the surviving 15 million vin numbers is a hand full. Breaking into small groups maybe manageable?

Stamped manufacture numbers?
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/33 ... 1365199929
Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 08:17 am:
This may be my final question on stamped vin/body numbers on post 1916 Fords. From the past posts, a majority of the early Fords, up to 1916(?), had other numbers stamped on various body parts. From the various discussions, cars after 1916 could have a stamped number, but the majority did not.

The difficulty is records for the cars of the late teens and twenties are not available from standard sources - The Henry Ford.

Without a copy of a sales invoice or shipping invoice, there is no positive means to identify which satellite assemble branch received and assembled the car.

If fortunate, the car may have a dealer identification plate.

Hap_Tucker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 cut off touring; 1918 touring; 1922 Speedster

Post by Hap_Tucker » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:41 pm

Russ,

Welcome to the forum! You are doing great on your first posting. But I would suggest you consider starting a new thread. This thread is fairly long and is discussing body numbers, Factory plant numbers, engine serial numbers etc. I think you will have many other questions about your coupe and they will be easier to find and answer in a thread dedicated to your coupe.
From your profile you also list that you have a 1923 Huckster and a 1924 tourer along with a 1926 coupe. So, there is a good chance you have been around T’s for a while. But if you are fairly new to T’s – please let us know that. We can provide slightly more detailed answers if we know you need them

First the easy part:
You commented you didn’t yet know how to “flag this to him” (in this case me – Hap) -- If you click on the link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9379 it illustrates how you can search for folks that have posted on the forum. Caution if you have a small screen the first choice to search on is the user name. But if you scroll down just a little it lets you search by first name, or last name, or both and that is easier for finding some of us. And there are a lot of other choices also.

The good news if a person has already posted a comment on a thread and if they set up their bulletin board options to notify them when a new posting to a thread occurs that they have posted on – the system will automatically send them a note saying “something new was added to thread “X,Y,Z.” Then they can click on the link and it will take them there. And since I had also posted on this thread, I got that message and went to see what was posted.
You can also click on their name on the left side of the screen at the beginning of their post --in my case “by Hap_Tucker” and it brings up their profile. And again, if they have their bulletin board preferences set up to allow you to send them a Private Message (doesn’t show your e-mail or their e-mail) you can do that. And some of us also have it setup so you could just send us an e-mail direct (which works better for some folks) by clicking on that choice.

Now the much harder question: You posted:
I have a 27 coupe with no number on the chassis that I can find but a number in the engine compartment on the firewall under the bonnet hinge A5934. I fancy I read somewhere that the prefix meant something. I’m in Australia and it was converted from LHD here but I don’t know if it was US or Canada manufacture.
Hap’s initial guess (hypothesis) based on very little information about your car’s body and it’s chassis.
Guess – the 1926-1927 coupe body you are asking about was imported to AU within the last 40 years. Someone cut out the original LHD firewall and replaced it with an Australian RHD firewall. That A5934 indicates a firewall that was originally was assembled in the Geelong Ford Plant in Australia. It would have originally been part of a 1926-27 style body that was dropped onto a chassis that was assembled from parts supplied by Ford of Canada.

Major inputs:
You and your T are located in Australia where they drive on the left side of the road and use Right Hand Drive [RHD] cars.
You stated the 1927 coupe was converted from Left Hand Drive (LHD) [implied – to Right Hand Drive RHD].
In your profile you list a 1926 coupe -- is that the same body/car you are now restoring as a 1927?
If so, is that based primarily on the 1927 engine that you have for it?

Below are some key clues that are missing but that may or may not help us put more of the puzzle pieces together. Please provide any of those you know. You may have already done that and I missed it. If so please let us know again

What history, if any, do you have on the car and especially the body? Do you know when or where it was imported? Several closed car bodies or complete cars were imported during the 1970s or so.
Was the original LHD firewall cut by a previous owner to allow the RHD steering column to be installed?
Was the original LHD firewall set up where it could be used as a LHD or RHD (on some UK cars such as MGBs in the 1960-70s had the steering column hole/location on both sides of the body. So the body shell that included the firewall could be used for either LHD or RHD. Note I have only found one photo of a 1927 Canadian LHD that shows the firewall and steering column. It only had the factory cut out for the steering column on the left side of the firewall. It did not have a cut out for a steering column on the other side. But a sample size of one is really small – so I thought I would ask the question. If anyone has additional information about that please let us know.
Was the LHD firewall replaced by a RHD firewall and if so any clue on when or where that occurred?
Note the letter and number stamped on the engine side of the firewall near the radiator support rod is common on the 1926-1927 style Model Ts assembled at the Geelong Ford Plant in Australia. That is the Assembly Plant Letter and I am still working to find out what the numbers mean following that letter. It would be stamped onto the body to indicate the car was assembled at the Geelong Ford Plant. So for that to be on the firewall of what was known to be a LHD body indicates to me that the firewall or at least the numbers were not original to the LHD body. See the posting at: and scroll down to the Canadian and Australian Assembly Plant letters/numbers. I cannot locate a better reference – but one of the early posting has USA, Ford of Canada, and the one photo of John H’s A490 stamped firewall on his Australian assembled 1926 touring car that is still original and unrestored. That is way down in the thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/111490.html where it starts off: By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker on Wednesday, November 04, 2009 - 09:46 am: Note we have gotten additional information after that posting. But the “A” turned out to be used in Australia at the Geelong Ford Plan.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/106533.html is a thread that covers where to look on many of the 1926 and should be all of the 1927 Model T chassis/frame for the engine serial number.

Note "IF" the Coupe body was from Canada -- there would likely be some Robertson Square head screws used in some places on the body (for example holding the rear window curtain)? Door hinges will most likely be standard slotted screws.

USA Coupe bodies did NOT use any square drive Robertson screws. What is a Robertson Screw? Please see: https://www.robertsonscrew.com/

See also the Australian Closed car thread at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1343296719

Photos are always welcomed and they help generate interest in the thread. Again, recommend you start a new thread about your car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

RussM
First Name: Russell
Last Name: Medhurst
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, 1924 tourer, 1926 coupe

Post by RussM » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:53 pm

Hap, thanks so much for your very comprehensive response. Sorry I have taken so long to reply but there’s been a few health issues for my wife this end and T’s have been on the back burner. The good news is after heart issues she’s back on track and we will be getting out in the coupe next month for a four or five day Club long rally.
Re the car details, I now believe as you suggested the coupe was converted to RHD in the seventies/eighties in South Australia. A complete RHD Geelong firewall has been used with no joins visible as it is covered by the bonnet welting. Club experts have confirmed it is a 27 and I am having a 27 motor rebuilt as we speak to replace the earlier twenties motor in it.
I have a lead on the family who owned it in South Australia which I will follow up to see whether they were the restorers (I think so) and whether they brought it in to Australia. From South Australia it went to New South Wales in 2016 then to Victoria with me in 2020 and it’s also attended the National Rally in Queensland so it’s seen a lot of Australia. Re Robertson screws there aren’t any I can find, and similarly cannot find a chassis number. It came with a Ruxtel but no Rocky Mountain brakes and for safety I am in the process of fitting some now. Again thanks so much for your input. My wife is looking forward to the added comfort of now having a T with doors and weather protection. The Huckster is now on public display in a collection in NSW. Russell

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:56 pm

Maybe a Model T Serial number registration section can be formatted in the MTFCA Forums along with the classified ads and General Discussions that members can go to to register their Model T serial numbers, whether the numbers match and the body style, present and past. All the information needed for this project to be useful. Jim Patrick.

Hap_Tucker

Post by Hap_Tucker » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:49 am

Russ,

I'm so glad your wife's heart issue has improved! That is great to hear. And be sure not to try to have her do too much too quickly until she is fully recovered. If you have any questions -- have her ask her doctor.

I am so thankful we live when we do. A few years ago, I had a friend who passed out and they took him to the hospital. They figured out he was having heart issues and that in his case, he needed a pacemaker. And they had it installed within a week. If that had happened back in the fall of 1908 when the Model T was introduced -- I don't think my friend would have made it.

It is just starting to warm up in some places here in the USA as Spring is trying to approach. Further north they are still having snow. But here in South Carolina it is a very comfortable 75 F / 23.9C for a high today. But that ends this weekend when the lows will go back down to 35 F / 1.7C and highs in the 55 F /12.8 C. I suspect Fall will be approaching in some places "down under" by next month. But if the forecast for the tour is "hot weather" then you may want to consider taking a modern car with air-conditioning for her comfort and safety.

Again thank you for the update. And best of luck to you and the family.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic