what is an original 1920 frame worth?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jed
First Name: Jed
Last Name: Welsh
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster pick-up

what is an original 1920 frame worth?

Post by Jed » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm

What is an original 1920 frame worth? The frame is straight but has a small bulge in the middle of the right side.

Is a complete, but rusty frozen engine worth anything? By complete I mean: engine, manifolds, carb, starter, generator, fan, timer and even a {coil box(in really bad condition)}

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: what is an original 1920 frame worth?

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:30 am

Running board brackets? Which style? What about the spare tire and battery brackets? Fender brackets?
Location makes a big difference. Some parts of the country have lots of frames, other areas seem to have nothing within hundreds of miles. I would imagine in this case it would be near Napa in Califunny?
Frame should be worth somewhere between twenty and a hundred dollars depending on real condition, more if all the brackets are on it and good.

Stuck engines are tough. I have had some given to me. The sad fact is they can be a killer to get apart, and then may need expensive machine work to rebuild. Sometimes, they come apart easy and have the nicest parts inside! Someone that has been through several of them can get a "feel" for them.
The year of the engine is very important. Earlier engines are worth more, the earlier they are, the higher the price! Starter/generator era engines are near the bottom value-wise, but if they have the starter and generator along with a few other external pieces, those may be worth nearly as much as the rest of the engine. The transmission and the drums might be the most valuable parts. But they cannot be adequately assessed without almost fully disassembling the whole thing. And that could take a couple full days if it doesn't want to cooperate.
If it looks pretty good? It might be worth a couple hundred. If not so good? Maybe fifty bucks, or even less.

It isn't all about the money here. It would be nice if all the people interested in preserving these cars all had deep pockets and could offer high prices just to preserve things. However, most hobbyists struggle with dwindling discretionary income. An engine really isn't worth all that much as scrap metal, unless the state is using taxpayer's dollars to subsidize the scrap metal industry and collection.

Is this something you want to sell? Or looking to buy? Either way, you should first assess just what is there. Determine if the engine is just a commonplace year, or something that may be worth much more? If looking to buy? What are your plans for it? Might make a big difference in deciding what it should be worth.

Good luck!

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Wayne covered the subject pretty well. Getting pictures of it out there in ads or on forums like this is the best way of finding someone interested in it. Putting $100 or best offer or more or less depending on how bad you want to get rid of it. Or maybe just make offer. There will be someone who would like to have it but finding them is a problem. Also, those most likely to enjoy it may not have the funds to pay much. Many of us have things we would like to get rid of but the items aren't that valuable these days. Pictures would show if there is anything special or of great value and we may be able to help here in that way if we can see it.
Rich
When did I do that?

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:11 pm

100.00 for the chassis if the spark plugs were still in it and the oil filler cap was on it. Yes I know it’s probably gotten water in it but if the plugs were out of it 50.00 at the most.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Usually parting out something is worth more than the whole. All depends on the condition and part. For example the frame with a bulge is of no interest, a front or rear cross member in decent condition may be worth something. You would get a better answer if you included pictures
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

richc
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Chillingworth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C-Cab TT
MTFCA Number: 30527
MTFCI Number: 23207

Post by richc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm

I have a 1914-16 frame that had the opposite of a bulge - it apparently had been bumped in at one place on the side rail. I know a '14-16 frame is worth a bit more making it worthy of a repair if possible, but it was pretty easy to fix.
Frame1s.jpg
Rich C.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic