Pay pal users beware

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
FATMAN
First Name: ROBERT
Last Name: BERGSTADT
MTFCA Number: 1575

Pay pal users beware

Post by FATMAN » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:17 am

Yesterday I got a text from pay pal asking if I authorized a payment of 3500.00 to someone I never heard of, so I logged into my pay pal account, it was there, I called them to appeal the case and they told me my money would be back in my account within 24 hours, well this a m I got a email from pay pay saying there was no fraudulent activity and that's that . I sell a lot on e bay and now I am screwed, so please change your password every other day and never trust pay pal, I wish e bay would take another type of payment, Bob

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Re: Pay pal users beware

Post by tdump » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:29 am

Contact your bank and police,and see what can be done there.No way I would let them shaft me out of 20 buck,much less 3500!
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:14 am

Calling the local police or sheriff is a complete waste of your time. I was cheated when buying lamps for the 09 and paid by Western Union.
No one cared.
Not the local police.
Not the county Sheriff.
And biggest surprise to me, neither did Western Union.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:44 am

That’s a load of bullcorn Bob !!
I was steamed when they put money on a 21 day hold a while back for a part going to Canada.
Even though the buyer contacted them several times and they promised to release it in 24hrs they waited the whole 21 days and I had to cough up $80 shipping beforehand. Then they shut the boarder down and the buyer had to wait even longer to get his part.
Then they did it again for 2 FeeBay sales !!
FeeBay and PayPal suck !!!! :evil:
Fortunately I don’t have anything close to $3500 for them to steal in the account I use for PP.

marctee
First Name: Marc
Last Name: hall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by marctee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Yes FEEBAY sucks. And now faypa lalso. Sorry youre going thru this . good luck.

Topic author
FATMAN

Post by FATMAN » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:16 pm

I do not keep that kind of money in pay pal except this time property taxes were coning up and I let it grow to pay them, did not happen, I usually only leave a few hundred in that account
Bob
trying to see if e bay will change their policy to take more payment options rather than pay pal, I called them again ( pay pal ) and insisted they look at this case again, since 2002 I have had close to one million dollars go through them,

Dan B
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring

Post by Dan B » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:18 pm

Was the payment linked to your bank or credit card? In either case I’d be calling them next.

Seems a little fishy to me that PayPal would drop the case so quick. Maybe it’s part of the scam?
1923 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:25 pm

tdump wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:29 am
Contact your bank and police,and see what can be done there.No way I would let them shaft me out of 20 buck,much less 3500!
Bob wasn't shafted by PayPal, they are putting the money back in his account. Its PayPal that needs to call the Police if there was a crime, that's why we use them. Not sure why they say there was no fraudulent activity - could have been a computer glitch, I have seen that in other systems. By that I mean the origin of the transaction slipped up and sent Bob's account number by mistake - yes that happens. I had a checking account debited by someone's ONSTAR system. Think about that for a minute - once noticed they shut the car down. Good for PayPal to follow up. PayPal has rules, like them or not, to protect seller's and buyer's from getting screwed - one of them requires an account holder to be a member for several months before they can receive the funds accumulated in their "PayPal Account". This is about the only way to verify a good account holder. It would help to know what the source of the $3500 transaction was: an eBay purchase, send money to a friend, a Macy's purchase :D etc ., so we can understand who was at fault.
NOTE: eBay and other like services have options to automatically invoke PayPal to pay for the purchase separately from options to eBay for their fees without you having to approve each individual one. Also PayPal has similar options on their side to automatically authorize payments to online accounts without having you approve each one. So turn those options off. Money Orders usage? https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/banking/money-orders
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Bmettli
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Mettling
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 touring, 1933 Dodge
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Bmettli » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Never follow a link to login, that’s how they got you. They spoofed the site and now had your login credentials. Always verify by logging in from the home site, never follow a link.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:44 pm

I had some friends that got burned by PayPal when we were considering using them. After that we only have one credit card we use and that’s it. We pay cash for gas and use checks for the rest. We don’t do online banking for paying bills. No debit cards. We mail in any payments that we have as much as we can.

We have lots of friends that do all their bill paying on their I phones and that’s fine. And no we don’t bury our money in cans in the back yard.
We have track phones and not I phones.
Our personal information is out there of course like most peoples. We are just trying not to make it to easy for so called honest people on the web to get our info.

Topic author
FATMAN

Post by FATMAN » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 pm

Frank, they have not told me I will be getting back the money, under review again, 2nd call, it was not taken from a credit card it was the money in my account at pay pal, it was not a purchase, it was cash sent to some one in Hawaii

Fordwright
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Popove

Post by Fordwright » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:50 pm

I remember getting phishing emails nearly every day from what was purported to be PayPal. They had a convincing page, complete with logo and all. But I never got bit, even once.

The easiest way to avoid a phishing attack is to look at the sender's email address. If the last two parts don't say "paypal.com" it's a fake.

An interesting thing happened recently. I got an email from PayPal saying that my credit card is no longer valid. I don't think it was a fake. I haven't used PayPal for over 15 years, and I didn't realize that they had maintained a valid credit card for me on file for all those years. I had changed credit cards many times over the years, each time the new card had new numbers, as protection against online fraud.

Recently, working with my bank, I was informed that getting new credit cards is not always adequate protection, as it's possible for some companies to track your changes and keep themselves updated with your new credit cards. This is apparently what happened with PayPal. The bank suggested changing my credit card account number, which would make it difficult for them to track me. I did so, and it seems to have worked on PayPal. It did not however work on Sirius XM, because they still managed to apply charges to my credit card, despite the change of account number.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:14 pm

I guess subconsciously that's why as soon as money is in my P.P. account I immediately transfer it to my bank. Maybe I'm just lucky. But now I will CONSCIOUSLY get it transferred toot-sweet so maybe I will beat the thieves to the punch. But then also, I dont sell that much anyway. I do buy quite a bit of stuff they P.P. but that's a whole different set of actions.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 pm

I don't know why PP couldn't require a second level of verification for transactions over, say, $500.

fschrope
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Schrope
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923, 1926, 1927 TT's, 1918 cutoff touring, 1922 Coupe - original

Post by fschrope » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:55 pm

I've never had a problem with paypal, but am still cautious. I don't have any credit card attached to it. There a checking account attached. It has no over draft protection and I keep a few bucks in this account. I have another checking account at the same bank that is my main account. If I get much cash in the paypal account, I immediately transfer it to the checking account and as soon as that transaction is done, I transfer the money to the other checking account. The most they can get me for is what's in the checking account which is usually about a hundred bucks or so.

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:17 pm

NEVER use Western Union for anything....their money sending documents are some of the most highly forged in the industry. And there is absolutely no recourse to get your money back.

Never buy a money order from Wal-Mart or the local 7-11 either.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Bmetti has it right. A scam e-mail was opened and the cat's out of the bag. That's one. Two is that amount of $ in there. Luckily for me I was warned about these e-mails and it's very much like the phone scam thats from "the IRS". very convincing if you're not on to it.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 pm

I don't think the answer is to transfer it quickly before they steal it. That's like crossing the lake in a leaky boat before it sinks. Better to plug the leak. I knew a guy who saw his bank account being drained $20 to $40 at a time every time he got paid. He felt it necessary to pay all his bills before the money disappeared.

I removed the Russian free movie app that was causing the problem, and I expected that he would have learned his lesson, but a few months later, he had the same free movie app again. I asked him why he reinstalled it, and he said he missed the free movies.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Fordwright that’s about right! Some people just want the convenience and that outweighs anything else. What’s a few bucks anyway now and then!!!

John iaccino
Last Name: Iaccino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Roadster, Open Runnabout
MTFCA Number: 17802

Post by John iaccino » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:42 pm

When I sell anything I only take personal checks or Post Office Money Orders. I recently had someone interested in an item, but would not take PayPal.
The entire deal fell through without even a hello, goodbye, or go to h@ll. Makes me wonder if the interest in the part was legit.

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 am

FATMAN wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 pm
Frank, they have not told me I will be getting back the money, under review again, 2nd call, it was not taken from a credit card it was the money in my account at pay pal, it was not a purchase, it was cash sent to some one in Hawaii
Bob, If your account was compromised I wold expect that me than one transaction would have taken place.
In order for PayPal to send you a text you would have had to register your cell phone in your account info. If you sell phone number isn't there ... then you were had. If it was really PayPal and the money was "sent to a friend" protection is not guaranteed. BUT if you were called by them on the same day as the transaction the money should be recoverable because it takes if the recipient transferring the money to a bank account that process takes a few days. So did you file a complaint in their resolution center or just by phone. Either way you should be able to see the status.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:56 am

R.V.Anderson wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 pm
I don't know why PP couldn't require a second level of verification for transactions over, say, $500.
Not sure if this is what R.V. exactly means, but in my case, when I sign into P.P. I also have to request a "3rd. layer" for I.D., that is, they send me a code via my cell phone in order to sign in. I would like to THINK this should/would eliminate the problem that the O.P. posted? Maybe not.....

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:24 am

My practice for many years has been to keep almost no money in the PayPal account or the bank account that it is tied to.

With online banking, it's super easy to move money right before/after transactions. Then...the account goes down to just a dollar or two.

I also use this technique with the debit card (and the account that it's tied to) that I use at drive-thru windows and at gas pumps. I get my iPhone out, move a small chunk of money from my main account into the account tied to the debit card, make the transaction, then before I leave the parking lot, I move the remaining money back to the main account.

Anyone getting ahold of that debit card number will find out there's nothing there.
Last edited by RustyFords on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1924 Touring

Topic author
FATMAN

Post by FATMAN » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 am

I never open emails from them, if I get one I just ignore it and log in after closing e mail, good news I hope
after 2nd denial I called them for the third time and they gave me a case number and the man on the phone put me on hold and talked to his supervisor and they told me I will get the money back in 24-48 hours, we will see, hope so, Bob

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am

FATMAN wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 am
I never open emails from them, if I get one I just ignore it and log in after closing e mail, good news I hope
after 2nd denial I called them for the third time and they gave me a case number and the man on the phone put me on hold and talked to his supervisor and they told me I will get the money back in 24-48 hours, we will see, hope so, Bob
Good news. They may put a hold on that money for a short period of time in case the other party disputes the claim which I doubt they will/can do.
Mick Jagger

Fordwright

Post by Fordwright » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:33 am

Whatever you may think about Google Mail (Gmail) they do a good job of filtering out spam and malware. Whenever a gmail user flags an email as spam, it goes system-wide and gets blocked from going through to other users.

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:38 pm

R.V.Anderson wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 pm
R.V., Any Paypal member can set up a second level verification to log in to Paypal. To do so, follow the instructions on Paypal. You will be asked if you want a "code" texted to your cell phone, which you must enter after initially logging in. The code will be different every time you log in so a hacker can't guess it, unless he has ESP. Only drawback is it adds time to the log in process which is a pain in the butt: so is losing $30.00 or $3000.00.

Topic author
FATMAN

Post by FATMAN » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:55 pm

money is back in my account, thank you for all your input, Bob

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:06 pm

Good news Bob! Sounds like they contacted their Bonding Agent.

Terry, you might not have seen my post above regarding authentication for log-ins. I've done this with P.P. ever since I started with them. Just makes sense. Same with all my online stuff. That's the great part of a cell phone, unless the crook steals it, they really can't sign in.

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Bob, that's great news.

Terry, I didn't know that, thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic