Bendix noise?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jon Hall
First Name: Jon
Last Name: Hall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 roadster, 1923 Depot Hack
MTFCA Number: 23757
MTFCI Number: 19197

Bendix noise?

Post by Jon Hall » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:11 am

My '26 roadster started up just fine for the season, except for a noise that seemed to come from the Bendix drive. I took off the Bendix cover thinking that a screw or bolt might be loose, and did not fine that.I put it back together and it still made the noise. It seems to be two knocks with an interval, and then another two. Any suggestions as to what it might be? I keep this T at my camp on a lake upstate, so it isn't right on hand. BTW the engine runs OK.
Jon Hall
Portland, Maine

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Bendix noise?

Post by Squirrel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:35 am

Is the interval equal to the time it takes to turn the engine one revolution? If so, it might be something other than the Bendix that is causing it.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:06 pm

Could be the spring loaded drift pin on the Bendix counterweight is missing or stuck.

That little friction making piece keeps the Bendix gear from running forward on the screw shaft back into the ring gear.
The knocking may be the gear running into the ring gear and bouncing back off.

703621.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:53 pm

I had the same thing happen. Thought the starter shaft was bent, so took of the cover for a look. All OK and shaft running straight. It turned out that the Bendix cover just needed to be centered more accurately. There's not much clearance between the cover and the bolt securing the Bendix spring.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:45 am

Jon, there is very little clearance between the bendix cover and the spring retaining bolt. The bolts need to be the special type with the head just half the thickness of usual bolts. Check the inside of the cover for any register marks where things may have come together.

Occasionally, I come across bendix springs which are heavier than standard T issue. This will also position the bolt heads closer to the cover due to the thickness of the spring.

Allan from down under.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:40 am

Jon,

When you say 2 knocks, then an interval, then 2 knocks, etc., it makes me think that you have a couple of bad teeth on your ring gear. If the trouble were in your bendix, it would knock at even intervals, (e.g. * * * * *, versus **....**....**....**). If you remove the bendix and have someone crank over the engine slowly, while you inspect the ring gear, you may find the problem. Then you have to decide whether it's just a worn out ring gear or if something came loose and damaged it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic