Metal valve stem pulled out

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Corvette Guy
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Jones

Metal valve stem pulled out

Post by Corvette Guy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:12 pm

So, I patched a leaking tube on my TT rear tire and after I got it back together I found the metal valve stem was leaking. I tried to use some rubber cement and bike tire patch kit around the valve stem and it didn't help. So, I'm guessing I need either a new tube or new valve stem.

Langs has this stem that says it needs to be hot vulcanized, which I don't think I can do. https://www.modeltford.com/item/ST3-3/8.aspx

So I guess it's best to just buy a new tube?
Attachments
BD8C0D63-D6E9-4CD2-9D01-F479201AE36E_1_105_c.jpeg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Metal valve stem pulled out

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:38 pm

I'd go with a new tube.

I intended to try to salvage metal stems from old vulcanized tubes for use in a traditional way, using original clamp washers. After tremendous effort, I was finally able to liberate the valve from the rubber and found the base of the stem, internal to the tube, was massive. It's interesting that yours is so small and without much support or stability. I can't begin to guess as to the age of the tube, but that failure appears to be a "when" and not "if" situation. Don't feel bad about it.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:07 am

Stick on rubber valve stems will work as replacements, but modern types are too short/fat to use on clincher rim/felloe combinations.Truck tyre repair shops may have longer stick on stems. They may have to order them in, but they were available last time I needed some. They are about 3.5" long, which means the tyre/tube assembly needs to be fitted with both beads at the same time, so that the valve stem and tyre beads can be clamped in place on the rim. Trying to fit one side of the tyre and then trying to fit a 3.5" valve stem through the rim is fraught with difficulty.

Allan from down under.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 am

What do you expect from a modern reproduction? An original would never have done that!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:32 am

With that ridiculously tiny base stuck on the outside of the tube it's no wonder the stem popped off. The tube itself doesn't look torn, so I would keep the tube and install a T era metal stem. It has a much wider base that goes inside the tube, with a bridge washer and nut tightened on the outside to keep the works together.

IMG_2285 copy 2.JPG
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Post by R.V.Anderson » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:51 pm

After preparing the rubber, if you're thinking of using them, pour in a packet of balancing beads. Way easier to do it before the stem is installed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic