Thin bushing removal?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406
Board Member Since: 2016

Thin bushing removal?

Post by ivaldes1 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 pm

Hi, I am wanting to replace the pictured brake cam bushing but it is just a thin shell left. The regular bushing removal tool moved it only a little because the bushing is too thin. Is there an easy way to take it out?
Attachments
IMG_0847.jpg

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Thin bushing removal?

Post by Squirrel » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:21 pm

I don't know about easy, but a cape chisel might do the job.

chisel.jpg

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:25 pm

The chisel is a good approach. Another I'd suggest is a hack saw blade. Cut it in two places and push out the pieces.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:56 am

Thanks so the replacement brass bushings are 1926-27 but the outer diameter seems big for the hole am I supposed to sand it down?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 am

You can leave the hacksaw blade in its frame. Undo the blade from the frame, thread it through the hols and re-attach it to the frame. Now you can apply the usual load. If the old bush is a split steel bush, make your cut opposite the split. If it is a bronze bush, you can make two cuts.

Allan from down under.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:27 am

ivaldes1 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:56 am
Thanks so the replacement brass bushings are 1926-27 but the outer diameter seems big for the hole am I supposed to sand it down?
I replaced my brake bushings a few months ago using a bushing driver and a big hammer. I did nothing to the outside diameter of the bushing. It was an easy job. This was on my '26.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:54 am

Don’t remember what size it was but I used a socket out of my tool box and it fit just right to use as a driver to drive the bushing out. I put it on an extension and that’s all there was to it.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 am

Measure the ID of the hole and the OD of the new bushing. If the bushing is only a couple thou oversize, I would go ahead and press it in. If it's oversized a lot, I would make a mandrel for it, stick it in a drill, and turn it against some coarse sandpaper. It could also be turned down in a lathe.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Post by Tmooreheadf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 am

How about an old threaded tap that could be screwed in and knock the whole thing out with a drift and hammer! Or maybe it is too thin!

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am

Looks like there is plenty of bushing there. The indent is from your driver tool. I’d say that either you have the wrong driver or it’s poorly made. The outside diameter of the driver you are using is too small.

Virtus
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Robertson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Ford model tt 1921 right hand drive

Post by Virtus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 pm

I've spent a lifetime working with and on excavators. Often having to remove damaged and worn bushes of various sizes and metals. The most effective method is to heat the bush with propane gas or similar and then douse it with plenty of cold water. This usually breaks the seal between the different metals allowing the bush to be driven out with ease. Good luck!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Your right about heating the bushing up and cooling it down. I’ve taken them out of springs and fittings doing that then almost pushing them with with a socket or bushing driver. The rust breaks down to sort of release it.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:18 pm

Adam wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:00 am
Looks like there is plenty of bushing there. The indent is from your driver tool. I’d say that either you have the wrong driver or it’s poorly made. The outside diameter of the driver you are using is too small.
Adam has it! Your driver tool diameter is too small and it's forcing itself into the bushing, spreading it further open and only making things tighter. You need a driver with a bigger shoulder. For comparison, slip your driver tool into the new bushing and see how much smaller the driver diameter is compared to the outer diameter of the bushing. They should be nearly the same size.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:17 pm

I am using the 'Shackle and Spindle Arm Bushing Driver' from Lang's https://www.modeltford.com/item/3820-44T.aspx I've cut it with a hack saw on 2 sides (see pictures) and whacked it pretty hard with a 5 pound hammer but it doesn't seem to budge. The brake drum backing plate is off. The insect larvae uncovered is a plus. I could use advice at this point because it doesn't seem to be moving. Hack saw it more? The last picture has the new bushing right beside where it is supposed to go for comparison.
Attachments
IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:27 am

They are out with a combination of hack saw and hammer. They really wouldn't move at all until they had been cut enough with the hack saw to collapse or compress.
Attachments
IMG_0854.jpg

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:31 am

I'm surprised no no has suggested using a small round punch ground to a narrow point on one side. Get it started on one edge of the bushing next to the backing plate. Use a small hammer and tap it down repeatedly so the point of the puch cuts a groove in the bushing . Keep tapping until the bushing is cut through from top to bottom. Then use the tool to curl inward one edge of the bushing next to the cut and work it out of the hole. It works. Being careful you don't damage the backing plate as you invariably do using a hacksaw blade.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:46 pm

There are punches made for removing thin bushings. They form a half-circle on the leading edge. You place one edge of the "Smile" against the edge of the bushing, then tap down on it, and it cuts and collapses the bushing as it goes. Snap-On sells these.
When using a hacksaw, don't go all the wall through. Saw gently until the bushing is to the point it will collapse on itself. Watch the saw kerf to see a color change. "As long as you see gold, you are golden. If you see black, pull back." - reorient the blade with your aim, to make it ride on just the areas that still show gold (brass color)
When you have it very thin in 2 places (doesn't have to be across from each other. 2 slots at 45 degrees relative to the centerline of the bushing will work fine) get a thin pointed awl or scribe, place it on the joint line between the bushing and the structure, and tap it in. You will see the bushing lift and collapse, and it will soon pop right out.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Turns out my bushing removal tool was fine it would simply not budging whatsoever until I cut it with a hacksaw. I was whaling on it with a 5 pound sledge, was bending the plate and it wasn't happening. After I cut a sufficiently deep cut to make it collapse a bit then and only then it moved.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:07 pm

As previously stated, the driver you had WAS too small for the job. Had it been correct for removing the bushing, you very likely would have driven it out with a 5 pound sledge in about 6 wacks. The small diameter shoulder of an undersize driver actually peens the bushing into the bore and makes it stick harder. Just my observation having removed these particular bushings dozens of times.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 pm

I guess I am a oddball but on bushings like this,I use a dremel tool and a carbide burr to cut a "ditch" on 2 sides of the bushing,not really a thin slot but more of literaly a ditch shaped groove.This weakens a large area on 2 sides.I watch Closely for a change in metal color so I don't go to far.Punches,Well I use a very thin 1 to get started.
To install the new bushings, i have a old fridge-freezer in the shop with ice and drinks in it. I put the new bushings in the freezer for a while before trying to put them in.shrinks them and makes them a bit easier to press in.IF you can put that backing plate in a vise or press and press that new bushing in,it might work easier than putting in with ahammer.
My dad repaired alot of worn backhoe bushings in his days as a mechanic and he would get dry ice to put the new bushings in for awhile before install.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:30 am

I have found that what works best for me after messing with junk, er, I mean things mechanical ;) for over fifty years, is to heat the I.D. cherry red with an oxy/acetylene torch and then walk away and let it cool. This not only breaks down the rust to a powder, it shrinks whatever it is that you are trying to remove. This works on just about anything that is in inside of something, bushings, bearing races, pipe fittings etc., etc. And no, it doesn't get the outer parts too hot either, unless you just set there and let it cook. If done right, the outer part won't get any hotter than if it was setting out in the blazing sun at 100+ Deg. If done correctly, usually the offending part will almost fall out by itself, unless of course, it has been beat to death with the wrong driver and a big hammer. ;) ;) Just trying to help. JMHO. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:50 pm

Adam wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:07 pm
As previously stated, the driver you had WAS too small for the job. Had it been correct for removing the bushing, you very likely would have driven it out with a 5 pound sledge in about 6 wacks. The small diameter shoulder of an undersize driver actually peens the bushing into the bore and makes it stick harder. Just my observation having removed these particular bushings dozens of times.
Yup. You are correct sir.

Topic author
ivaldes1

Post by ivaldes1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:48 am

What is and where can I get the proper driver?

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 pm

ivaldes1 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:48 am
What is and where can I get the proper driver?

Ignacio,

You can see in your old bushing how the driver jammed itself in for what appears to be about 3/32" at the one end. This is what made the bushing so tight, even after it was split. The driver being rammed into the end of the bushing expanded it and made it all the more tighter. Therefore, a proper driver would have a wider shoulder, to more fully engage the end of the bushing, and a diameter just a little bit smaller than the outside diameter of the bushing you're removing. Where to get one is a different matter. Aside from making one on a lathe, you might try measuring the bushing diameter, then sourcing a length of metric drill rod from McMaster-Carr. I say metric because some metric sizes will be just a tad smaller than fractional sizes. In most cases, the next available smaller fractional size is already too small. Anyway, once the rod is purchased, it would be ideal to step down the diameter of one end to just slip nicely into the bushing. This gives you a nice pilot, or guide, to center the tool over the bushing. That's where a lathe would be handy. The pilot however is not 100% essential, if you can hold the tool central to the bushing until it begins to move. After that, the the hole you're driving the bushing out of becomes your guide. Hope this helps.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Ignacio, I bought the same bushing driver that you bought. It worked perfectly to replace my brake bushings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic