Rootlieb

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Rootlieb

Post by Original Smith » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:23 am

I had to wait three months to order a early '13 set of fenders from Rootlieb because of the virus. I wasn't sure if they made the early style, so I brought them an original to go by just in case. Now, I have to wait at least six weeks, but that's ok. I'm talking front fenders.

Dollisdad
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Rootlieb
MTFCA Number: 440

Re: Rootlieb

Post by Dollisdad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 am

I’ve been reading a lot about can’t get a part, costs to much, takes to long, isn’t quite right and a hand full of other observations. Being as there are humans involved, there is always the possibility of not understanding correctly, misinterpretation, not hearing what was said, not ordering correctly and other flaws in communication. These are mostly “point of sale” issues that can be helped by being as clear as possible when ordering and allowing the other party to question your order. When you have 1000’s of parts and numbers it sometimes turns into word salad. Help each other understand if you are not sure.
Other situations can affect things also. As Larry wrote he has waited months to order and will now wait longer to receive what he’s looking for. That’s not how we like to do business. My cousin Byron has run the fender dept. for 42yrs. Earlier this year he suddenly past away. And while he had two kids that helped him, with all those years of experience, it has been a big blow to production as well as personally to all of us. And while the kids have been here for over a decade, it will take awhile to get up to speed. Sorry Larry, we will do the best we can to get you fixed up.
We always sold new gas tanks with a new cap. Now because of those being produced in China and the issues of tariffs they are requiring a prohibitive number be ordered. So that is being shopped.
And while we’re on tanks, Ed Hollier made all the tanks for years. He had a helper named Billy and when Ed past away, Billy stepped up and continued producing tanks. Now Billy has past away. There is a family member who is looking at carrying on, so we hope that comes to fruition.
So have patience with the suppliers in this hobby. You may not fully understand what issues they have on their plate. When something is available- buy it. It may be gone tomorrow .

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:00 am

Do you guys know what's the story on 26-27 tanks? I heard that somebody was going to take a run at reproducing them, but no news since. I don't need one, just curious.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Dollisdad
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Rootlieb
MTFCA Number: 440

Post by Dollisdad » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:15 am

Steve, I haven’t heard of someone taking that on. I had 3 or 4 of them and couldn’t give them away. I take that back, I think I sold one. Seems to be quite a few still floating around.

John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by John E. Guitar » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:37 am

Tom, I've got a set of Regal Underslung fenders you made a few years back. They're really great, thanks for that.

Shane Lach
First Name: Shane
Last Name: Lach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Tudor and 1921 speedster in progress

Post by Shane Lach » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 am

Steve Jelf wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:00 am
Do you guys know what's the story on 26-27 tanks? I heard that somebody was going to take a run at reproducing them, but no news since. I don't need one, just curious.
The gentleman who made all of the nice reproduction tanks, Billy Gilliland, just passed away on June 13th. I'm not sure if he was the one you are speaking of. From our brief conversations he was a nice humbly guy and super helpful. An absolute asset to the community as well.

Rest in peace Billy

https://www.hotsr.com/news/2020/jun/16/ ... gilliland/

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:23 am

The link above is the Billy who had made our gas tanks for years. I have known Billy and Ed for what seems like forever. Ed originally built our gas tanks. Billy was his helper from the age of young man in his teens early 20s. When Ed passed away years ago He willed the business to Billy. Some may remember I helped Eds wife liquidate some of his estate. During that time I got to spend quiet a bit of time with Billy. I truly enjoyed the time we got to work together. You could not ask for better folks to have in our hobby. Both were a great asset for our hobby and will be missed.
I hope that someone will take over the business. But, I have serious doubts about it. It is so labor intensive, and done with very crude home made tools. It was also a process done by a very meticulous , highly skilled, craftsman, who had done the same thing for almost his entire working life. Billy, will be missed.
His passing will have a long term effect on the availability to get gas tanks. I would guess he made at least 90% or more of the reproduction tanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic