Electric Fuel Shutoff Valve Installation Question

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Electric Fuel Shutoff Valve Installation Question

Post by Matt in California » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:24 am

Today I did what I wanted to do for a very long time- I installed a 12 volt fuel shutoff valve. I connected everything up and decided to connect the power to the bottom of the 1926 coil box. It works, but I realized that that now I am switching between the Battery/Magneto. My concern is that the magneto could burn out the solenoid at higher RPM or fail/turn off at lower RPM.

What are your suggestions on how to connect up a fuel shutoff valve?

Matt

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Electric Fuel Shutoff Valve Installation Question

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:02 am

Without the valve, there is no chance of the solenoid burning out or the engine cutting out at low revs. If that is the worry, just throw the thing away. I wonder why it was necessary in the first place.

Allan from down under.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:02 am

I agree with Allen, best fool proof solution is to remove the electric fuel shut-off valve.
Some people that do not want to crawl under the car to turn on or off the fuel valve add a second valve at the carb, not me, but some people.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:11 am

It is a DC device, so should not work on the AC from the magneto. It would need it's own power supply from the battery. On the first go around with my Chevrolet over head, I used a VW carb that had one. I was running a distributor so was no problem wiring it into the ignition switch. You are going to have to wire up a stand alone switch that feeds from the DC side only.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Matt in California
First Name: Matt
Last Name: G
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1926 Fordor Project, TT C-cab flatbed farm field find, TT dump truck project
MTFCA Number: 30697

Post by Matt in California » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I added the electronic fuel shutoff because sometimes the float sticks and gas floods down. I want it as a part of the key switch to avoid the case of turn off the fuel at every stop.

Is there any good way of using the key switch to run accessories from the battery like you do on a modern car ?

Matt

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:14 pm

the only way I see to run it off of the switch is to use a low current relay (or you could go direct, but I wouldn't) and only run on battery.

I have to say, though that your solution to putting in an electric valve for a leaking carb is like Boeing placing cushions along their flight route to minimize crashes instead of go to Root Cause. I personally have a hand valve at the carb on all my T's because once, after 5 years, one leaked and I felt that a gravity feed system posed a risk for unmonitored off-site (or other) storage. It's easy. I agree that valves are good, but why not fix the problem? Leaking carbs can be fixed, and if they leak more than rarely, your car's performance will suffer significantly. FWIW.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:46 pm

would this work? :roll:
Attachments
ramp2.png
ramp2.png (591.63 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:58 pm

An electronic cutoff to solve a sticking needle and seat is weird. As Scott says, just fix the problem at the root, and fit a tap at the carb if you must have insurance.

Allan from down under.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Susanne » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:14 pm

The AC from the mag will NOT trigger the solenoid unless you have an AC solenoid to trigger your gas shut off. If you try to run a DC 12V (or worse, 6V) solenoid off the AC output of the mag, you will at best be gifted with a pile of smoking slag... the mag will put out up to 36 VAC...

IF you want to put a DC fuel solenoid shutoff on your car (and in 30+ years of T ownership I cannot figure why someone would do this) it needs to be on a separete fused DC link off a DC source. Running AC though it will not only not work, but heat that thing up (flashing on and off) to the gasoline combustion point.

We did a fuel pump and solenoid on an early 23 Lincoln... we had 2 fuses and a circuit breaker in line of that, and it STILL worried us. I would recommend a mechanical and physical shutoff... because you're not talking 2010 technology (nor even a '70's vehicle) but something that, if you're not willing to realize it's nature, will come back to bite you.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Matt, Try mounting a Model A fuel shutoff inside your 26 touring firewall, at least it will not fail in the off mode at a bad time.

kmatt2
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:21 pm

Matt, If this fuel shut off is for your 1926 touring with the cowl tank and you do not want to open the hood every time, then you could use a Model A fuel shut off mounted on the inside passenger side of the firewall. Plum the fuel line over to the firewall, mount the shut off inside firewall with in and out fuel flow fittings in holes you make in the firewall. Keep the holes as small as possible so if you ever want to go back stock they would weld up easy after the tank is out. It is not power or automatic but at least it will not fail in off mode on a tour requiring you to remove it to drive, you may forget to turn it on but will soon figure it outand nd turn it on. it happens to Model A drivers.

O

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:53 am

How about an oil shutoff valve for the leaking oil?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564

Post by Mark Gregush » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:32 am

Something like this would take a lot less plumbing then the Model A valve:
https://www.ebay.com/c/23011818009
Attachments
s-l640.jpg
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Now that I finally realize this is a '26 with a fuel shut off built into the sediment bulb 18" away from the carb. I don't even recommending a shut off at the carb. Open the hood and turn it off. It's an antique car. If it's a burden, then I'm guessing that the front end isn't getting oiled, floorboards are not coming out to grease the ujoint and driveshaft bushing, steering bushing isn't being greased, and the steering gearcase isn't being serviced regularly either. It's an antique car.

The mere fact that there is 12V available in the car tells me that bandaids have already been applied instead of repairs, and honestly an electric fuel shut off is a bandaid, too. I don't say this to be critical, but to say that problem solving on this car is not directed at the causes but the symptoms, which will never be satisfactory in the end.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: Electric Fuel Shutoff Valve Installation Answer

Post by Novice » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 pm

Matt. I think the electric fuel cutoff is a good idea. and have thought about adding one Myself. and since most of the T houses sell them there must be a market. I always turn the fuel off after a drive with the valve on side of the carb on both My open express and the 26 touring which also has a valve on the gas tank sediment bowl. I have had a carb float stick on the express and it will put a lot of gas on the ground in a short time. and the 26 with the vertical tank would be worse. just run valve off 12 volts. install a small toggle switch on the front of the driver seat base or put it in the dash. Your car may already have a doner hole or two in the dash from prior projects. mine did it also serves as a hidden kill switch. and if You are concerned about the electric valve failing connect it in parallel with manual cut off. should help cut down on hood latch wear which after a hundred years is pretty worn anyway. A under hood inspection is still a mandate on a regular basics. running Your T out of gas empting the carb fuel bowl can cause the valve to stick in the muck they sell for gas these days even in a good carb. AX Me how I know. Yes I have had the floorboards out of My car didn't take long with a sawzall. (Funny) ? Good Luck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic