Just to be sure

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Larry e rutt
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Rutt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor

Just to be sure

Post by Larry e rutt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:42 pm

I hear people say I can remove my fan, I hear people say I can remove my water pump... can I remove them both at the same time or one or the other ?

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Re: Just to be sure

Post by Russ T Fender » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:10 pm

I have taken the water pump off of every T I acquired that had one when I got it. Some had relatively new radiators and others were original radiators. Never noticed a difference. The fan is another issue. You probably don't need it if you are moving all the time but it sure helps when you are sitting in traffic or at a long traffic light in 80+ degree weather. In Florida where I am there are lots of draw bridges and sitting at one for 10 minutes is common. If I see the mercury going up I race the engine a bit and it drops right black down. That tells me the fan is necessary when it's hot outside; maybe not so much when it's cold.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Perhaps you will be ok removing both, after replacing installing new berg's radiator and thoroughly cleaning engine head and block water passages. Personally, I would never disconnect fan, but some who post here do. Take care, jb

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Val is correct, with one qualification. The water pump isn't needed if the radiator still radiates. If it doesn't, maybe the pump helps a little. Over the course of 100 years the radiator fins can work loose. Without good solid contact between the fins and the tubes the radiator is toast. The only cure is another radiator. You might possibly find an old one that's good, but probably not. There's a reason those old radiators aren't on cars anymore. If you thoroughly clean and flush the cooling system and still boil, it's time for that replacement. For black era, that's a new Berg's. For brass, I go with a recore.

Fan: Henry didn't spend money on things that weren't needed. It's there for a reason.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:47 pm

The question would be why was a water pump put on the car to begin with.
Maybe the previous owner or the one before him had it put on.
First reason would be the car was getting hot or boiling over after a drive or even after it was running for less than an hour.
Maybe the car would start to gurgle or boil over coming to a stop.

If it’s the radiator or whatever the cause is a marginal cooling radiator will work but after slowing down or stopping the boil over starts to happen.

It could be something else but if it’s and old original that’s usually the problem.

The fan came with the car when new and if it’s working I would leave it alone. Most people do.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:01 pm

There have been many discussions about the usefulness of a water pump. In all the designs I've seen I have not seen any that actual "pump", they all have impellers that, at best, enhance the fluid flow. I have a Berg radiator, fan and no "pump". As for the fan (I provided this in a previous discussion about splash aprons) the fan has a function!
"When traveling the air in front of the radiator is at a high pressure and the air flow through it can be enhanced by creating a low pressure area in the engine compartment (i.e. Bernoulli Principle). The more air flow through the radiator the more it cools. The splash pans & hood are necessary to make a low pressure compartment and the louvers aid, not only as a method to expel the air but their shape also creates an external low pressure area pulling the air out of the engine compartment. Without them (one or all) air turbulence would result and the low pressure area wouldn't be as effective and the radiator's cooling would not be as efficient. When stopped its up to the fan to create the air flow for the creation of the low pressure zone. Obviously not as much when traveling." As you are aware the purpose of the fins on the radiator are to dissipate the heat into the air and the more air passing through them will cool the fluid in the radiator. So keeping clean and straight is important. Simple test for you to decide on the fan. With the car stationary, note the difference in air flow by putting a tissue in front of the engine while its running - once with the hood on and another with it completely off - then decide. Also on '26 T's Ford made some design changes to assist in better cooling - radiator and also added a neck on the end of the fan pulley to bring it closer to the back of the radiator.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Is it running OK? Not overheating or any thing like that? Then leave it the heck alone. You're spending $ for no reason at all and you might be looking to spend a lot more if the pump is keeping a tired radiator at bay. I've had 2 T's with pumps and kept them both for exactly the reason stated above. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:49 pm

I know one pump that was installed because the fellow ran the car all the time with timing retarded. It ran hot after installing the pump also. He had me look at it and drive it. After explaining the timing to him while I drove it, it ran normal temp the entire time.
If there is a chance the fan could go into the radiator, I would remove or replace it. Too expensive not to.

Topic author
Larry e rutt
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Rutt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 fordor

Post by Larry e rutt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks for the info....my thought was... I have a 26 fordor, with a new berg radiator.. the fan has been being a problem, so I thought I'll just take it off which creates another problem, the belt to turn the pump, well I here some say that should go...... I dont know what to think, maybe I'll take them off, maybe I'll fix them... thanks anyways

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:39 pm

Larry e rutt wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:08 pm
Thanks for the info....my thought was... I have a 26 fordor, with a new berg radiator.. the fan has been being a problem, so I thought I'll just take it off which creates another problem, the belt to turn the pump, well I here some say that should go...... I dont know what to think, maybe I'll take them off, maybe I'll fix them... thanks anyways

Try it without the pump. If it's fine without it, leave it off. Then buy a ball bearing fan hub and never worry about it again. (Also inspect your fan blade for cracks!!! Or, just spend $12 or so for a new fan blade.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic