Installing balance beads

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
R.V.Anderson
First Name: R.V.
Last Name: Anderson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914, 1920, 1923, 1923

Installing balance beads

Post by R.V.Anderson » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Has anyone outside the asylum ever tried and succeeded with the air-gun method in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaPu2IZy8c

I tried it but got absolutely nowhere. The beads move down the tube about half an inch before they pack together at the valve stem and stay there despite taking a wrench and tapping my fool head off on the stem while keeping the pressure on. And when taking it off. And yes, I took out the valve core before the attempt.

I tried putting tiny amounts of beads in the tube, I tried putting larger amounts in the tube. I tried various PSI from 5 to 60. Results 100% the same each time: the beads pack together at the end and won't budge.

The only thing left to me is to take a magnifying glass and tweezers and drop them in one bead at a time, slowly, over the years remaining to me, leaving the job to my heirs, and then to theirs, to complete.

So-called "unsightly" stick-on wheel weights are looking more sightly by the minute. At this point I'm ready to lash a smithy's anvil to the spokes at the wheel's light end.

I am near 100% convinced that the only way to install these is to dump them in the hole in the tube that is formed when replacing a rubber valve stem with a metal one.

modeltbarn
First Name: Gary
Last Name: London
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 16592

Re: Installing balance beads

Post by modeltbarn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:18 pm

I tried using a vibrating engraver; it worked but was painfully slow. I now do them after cutting off the rubber stem, prior to installing the metal one. It's quick and easy.

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:34 pm

R.V.; It's a PIA job but can be done. I cut a piece of coat hanger about 2" long and put a little jog in it, chucked it in my drill and used it as a vibration generator on the side of the rubber valve stem. Before applying the vibrator, I clamped a small piece of metal (using a small hose clamp) to the valve stem so the wire didn't dig into the rubber and damage the stem. I discovered that positioning the drill so that wire tends to shake the stem up and down as opposed to side to side works much better. I also attached a small funnel (hose clamp again) to to valve using two different sized vacuum hoses, one as a sleeve so that there was no difference in inside diameter from the funnel to the I'D of the valve stem. Each wheel took about 5 min. after I figured out the process. I've never used pressure as I think that would make matters worse. Good luck : Bruce

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:36 am

I use a small orbital sander to vibrate the stem.

Colin Mavins
First Name: Colin
Last Name: Mavins

Post by Colin Mavins » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:53 am

Is it because you guys are driving high miles on your cars why are you balancing your tires , my 12 has original wheels the first set of tires new in 1953 lasted until 2014 the second set has no problem will wear or vibration , so I have to ask why do it . The other question is once the beads are in you can not take them out am I correct I also use old original tubes with the old steel stems. Cheers Colin

Jem
First Name: Jem
Last Name: Bowkett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring #9267
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Jem » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:40 pm

I confess. I don't use them in my T, but my V8 & my VW camper.

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:28 pm

I use about an 8" piece of gold tygon fuel line hose. Regular vinyl will work ok too, but you need a piece longer than the one provided. I rotate the tire between 10 and 2. Attach the hose to the stem after removing the core. Make sure the air is out of the tube, Fill about 2"-3" of beads in the tube. Make sure you have plenty of air pressure and shoot them in just like the video. But make sure you let the air come back out of the tube before reloading and attempting it again.

rofirestone
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Stone
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring--1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 23830
MTFCI Number: 18986

Post by rofirestone » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:36 pm

I drill out the stem first, don’t damage core threads.

bnchief
First Name: Steven
Last Name: White
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 73
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by bnchief » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:53 am

lucky in that the gentleman who provided the (5) wheel RAL 1001 powder coating first primed wheels and applied several layers of powder coating thus filling in all of the rust pits on in-sides and out-sides of rims and spokes. (He only charged $80.00 per wheel). I just used the rubber rim liner to cover inner ends of spokes. Gentleman and I checked in-sides of powder coated rims for rough and or sharp edges ......no rough or sharp edges of powder coating were observed.

2. Ordering Coker 550-19 tires from Summit was not a problem. The Summit part no. is COK-741771 & description is EXCELSIOR STAHL SPORT RADIAL. Price was $271.00 each, $1,355.00 for (5), no tax, free shipping from Coker warehouse. Tires and tubes arrived together from Coker about (5) days later.

3. Ordering tubes with metal stems from Coker was different. Check your Coker emailed invoice immediately. First gentleman was trying to save me money and according to the email order invoice, he was sending me less expensive tubes with long rubber stems ...... second gentleman was again trying to save me money and emailed invoice indicated sending cheaper bias/radial tubes that came with metal stems already installed. After calling, third gentleman got it right ..... Coker Item no. for tubes, 500/600R19 TR150 CENTER RADIAL BR19, $46.00 each ........ valve stem installation Item no. IN - VALVE STEM INSTALLATION $5.00 each ..... valve stem Item no. 90991 RUBBER BASE NICKLE STEM TR127, $7.00 each. Per your question on will standard Model A metal stem caps fit ..... I did not ask who manufactures metal valve stems for Coker.

4. Snyder's beads in tubes ...... be prepared ...... one envelope inside the outer envelope was torn but I did not lose any beads. Next, slip 1/4" rubber hose over metal valve stem & slip small plastic funnel tip in other end of rubber tube. Three tubes filled easily and quick. Number four had vulcanized rubber blockage and took longer. No. five would not fill with vulcanized rubber on inside of metal stem. Tried a 9/64" drill bit, but it would not "cut" this rubbery vulcanized rubber. Went on line to find a K&S #98353.5mm x225mm, (three thin wall brass tubes), www.ksmetals.com, Chicago, IL, and from a hobby shop ordered tubes. Inserted brass tube in metal stem and beads bypassed the vulcanized rubber blockage.

5. Tires & tubes were not tested for balance but at 55 mph prior to installing; however, absolutely no bouncing with (4) ounces of tire beads installed per tube.

6. Snyder's tire bead manufacturer says his beads can increase gas mileage when used on large trucks ...... Caution ...... don't put more than the recommended 4 ounces of beads in your Model A tubes if your gas tank is full ..... you do not want your gas tank to over flow after driving 100 miles.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating installing Coker IF YOU READ THIS USE THE BRASS TUBE THAT IS MENTIONED IN THIS WRITE-UP IT IS HOW i DID MINE AND WORKS WELL. tHIS POST IS FROM THE VINTAGE FORD FORUM.

aDave
First Name: David
Last Name: Dufault
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915
MTFCA Number: 303
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by aDave » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:00 pm

RV...what Roy Stone -rofirestone - above wrote....drill out the valve stem. Sounds like you have an obstruction someplace

billgall
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Gall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo, 1915 Touring
MTFCA Number: 30362
MTFCI Number: 23284
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by billgall » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi R.V.,

I'm confirmed INSIDE the asylum but it was a cold winter day when I poured the beads in my 1912 Torpedo. I had more problems with static electricity making the beads stick to the vinyl tubing than with any clumping or packing together. I suspect that high humidity makes them stick together like that.

I've seen that video before I bought the beads but didn't need to vibrate anything like that. If I recall, I ended up spraying the vinyl filler tube with Static Guard to get the beads to flow better and stop the static. Not sure what the solution would be in high humidity though.

I will say they work fantastic. Gives a very smooth ride.

Bill Gall
Bill Gall
Greenwood, IN
1912 Torpedo
1915 Touring
MTFCI Gold Card Judge

Topic author
R.V.Anderson

Post by R.V.Anderson » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think what I will do will be to remove the vulcanized metal-stem tubes that are on the car now and replace them with my spares, which are new rubber stem tubes that I will cut off and replace with original metal stems. While I have made that nice smooth hole for the metal stem I will pour in the beads. I have a pair of wonderful new 30 x 3 rubber stem Lesters that I will start with. The left rear tube already has a metal stem that I installed last year, so that will simplify things a bit.

The tubes that are on the car now, and have been great for many years, will then become my spares.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm

R.V. Stop whining!
It took 500 rears to build the cathedrals of France, and what do you think THEIR mileage is?
I don't know either, but it can't be very good.
Anyhow, don't even worry about saddling your children's children's children with this task.
If they don't like it, they shouldn't have become your heirs!
Leave strict instructions, along with the tweezers, in your will.

Topic author
R.V.Anderson

Post by R.V.Anderson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic