True Fire Ignition

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
JB007
First Name: JOHN
Last Name: BENSON Jr
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2000

True Fire Ignition

Post by JB007 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:02 am

Hi,

Looking for a used / new true fire ignition or information on where I can get mine repaired. It seems hard to find any of this information, or if I need to remove it is there a similar system available ?

Thank you
John
8-)

Fire_chief
First Name: Charlie
Last Name: Gagel
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 12 Tourings(2),14 Tourings(2),15 Touring,22Touring,22 TT,21 Fire Truck,14 Chief Car
MTFCA Number: 8377
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 22437

Re: True Fire Ignition

Post by Fire_chief » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 am

I have removed 3 units from my cars.
I now run I-Timers. Worth the effort to change over.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 am

Or, heaven forbid, 4 rebuilt coils and drive the car for another 75 years.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:40 am

John
I’ve been running one in my 13 for almost 20 years. Works great. Contact me off list and perhaps I can help you with yours. I don’t want to fight with the “naysayers”!!

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Bill Robinson » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:11 pm

I loaned a friend one of my old Tru-Fires because his coils were bad. We had a ride coming up soon. The Tru-Fire was no good. I sent him another one. It didn't work either. I suggested replacing the wooden parts in his coil box with the new plastic parts. He did. Guess what. Both Tru-Fires worked great. Then he installed his 4 bad coils. No problem with them either.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:18 pm

John, You asked if there was another system available.... Yes, your in Luck. Of course there is the original mag and coils with Ford Timer and most recently both the I Timer, mentioned above, or the E Timer both made by Mike Kossor. You didn't tell us if your Mag was not operating.

I have no idea now many TrueFire systems were made or sold but you will see quite a number of posts here about problems and difficult to get help. Search E or I timer and you will find lots of information about the best performance available for your Model T. The Itimer requires properly adjusted coils but the ETimer is perfect if your mag is not working and want a stock looking car that runs on a 6, 8, 9, or 12V battery.

You will discover it Very hard to anyone that has ever had any problems or anyone that doesn't absolutely love it! Mike has ads in both magazines.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:39 pm

I agree that Mike's products have a great reputation and you won't likely be disappointed if you use them.

And, having said that, I won't suggest that you use original equipment if you're not inclined. And I won't engage in childish name calling if you were to use modern technology. Each person's choice is theirs for their own reason. That said, coming to a Model T forum, suggesting that someone TRY an OEM part and then being called an insulted nome for it, pretty much puts it over the top for me. I'm sure you got excellent advice from your email exchange and will be on the road soon. As for me, time for a break.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

rofirestone
First Name: Roy
Last Name: Stone
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring--1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 23830
MTFCI Number: 18986

Post by rofirestone » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:59 pm

Scott, well said.👍

frontyboy
First Name: dick
Last Name: dock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: T sprint cars

Post by frontyboy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 pm

Well I have run Tru Fires in myT's with no problem for a number of years. I did learn from experience, that its imperative to insulate the inside of the coil box. The Tru Fire has very high voltage at the contact points of the Tru Fire slide in unit and the wood around the spring contacts on the back wall of the coil box.

I glued hi dielectric mylar insulation strips to the back inside wall of the coil box. Once that was done I have never had any mis fires or problems with the Tru Fire system. If you read the installation instructions which I did not , it tells you it may be necessary to insulate in those areas. If memory serves the Tru Fire puts out almost 60,000 volts at the spark plugs.

I know a lot of people here poo poo the Tru Fire system but my guess is its operators fault by not following instructions. I am most satisfied with Tru Fire.

frontyboy

Les Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:22 am

So John asked for help about his Trufire. I think it is fair to assume that he is aware of and perhaps knowledgeable about the stock T ignition system. So I have offered to provide the exact help he asked for. Seems reasonable to me

Ron Patterson
First Name: Ronald
Last Name: Patterson
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Ron Patterson » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:31 am

Contact Jim Golden, he has had significant experience repairing True Fire ignition systems.
j1mgolden(at)comcast(dot)net.

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:32 pm

Thanks to all for helping John,

Scott, I reread all the posts and I could not find where anyone was childishly name calling? It certainly wasn't in my post.. If you thought that I am truly sorry for you misinterpretation! John did ask about any other type systems that prompted my response to him.

Since he already has a TF It looks like he'll get it fixed with the help of others. I hope so, that's what we here for. Happy Fourth
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Topic author
JB007
First Name: JOHN
Last Name: BENSON Jr
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Roadster
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by JB007 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Thank you to all for all this information, I have reached out to Les ( thank you for inviting me to e-mail you ) I have also been in contact with Jim Golden. I am new to the model T community and a novice at being a Model T owner. I'm sure with all these recommendations and help I will be on the road soon.

Happy 4th of July ! https://images03.military.com/sites/def ... k=pRDE0jvA
8-)

Les Schubert

Post by Les Schubert » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:16 pm

John
While I have not received a message from you, it certainly seems like you have received some good advice (about the coil box and Jim Golden)!
Fortunately for me, I have never had to repair a Trufire!? But I am pretty good at understanding electronics.
As I live in Canada, shipping to me may not be the first choice, but if all else fails I will certainly try to help you

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic