Rear hub evaluation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ArthurB
First Name: Arthur
Last Name: Babitz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927ish Roadster Pickup
Board Member Since: 2018

Rear hub evaluation

Post by ArthurB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:48 pm

I just finished rebuilding my rear axle/ differential/ drive shaft. Everything is working great, so now I'd like to rebuild the rear wheels. They are functional but spokes are a bit loose, hubcap threads aren't great, and worse yet-- they are globbed up with metallic copper paint (spokes and all).

I have previously rebuilt my front wheels, so I have a wheel press and plenty of experience removing rust and repainting. In addition to the two wheels on the car I have two spare rear wheels for spare parts. My question: how should I choose which hubs to use in the rebuild? All the hubs and felloes have some obvious minor defects, but I'm wondering how I can decide which hubs will function best. I've heard about hubs getting "worn" but I'm not sure what to measure on a tapered hole and what numbers I should be looking for, or what other ways a hub can go bad. FYI I have just installed two new axles from Fun Projects so those should in good shape.

I'd hate to press new wood spokes into newly repainted parts and then discover I chose the wrong parts, so please help me know what to look out for as I select the components for this rebuild. FYI I will be replacing all spokes and bolts.

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Re: Rear hub evaluation

Post by Kevin Pharis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 pm

If there is no excessive rust pitting and the keyways aren’t wallowed out... they are probably just fine. Also make sure the tapers lock onto a good axle taper without the key installed for your last check. And remember NOT to paint the inner taper of the hub, or the axle tapers. The paint will break down and render the hub loose shortly after install

RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Post by RGould1910 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 am

I have encountered bent front hubs. George Garrigan who rewoods T wheels in Sonora CA routinely turns the flanges to true them up. Although the rear hubs are sturdier than the fronts, I'd check them for flange run out. A light trying cut wont hurt a thing.

Topic author
ArthurB
First Name: Arthur
Last Name: Babitz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927ish Roadster Pickup
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by ArthurB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. Good ideas.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:02 pm

Good keyways are the first point in any inspection I make. If they are OK, I bolt likely candidates to the same axle, and select the ones which go on least. They should be less worn in the taper. Then they need careful scrutiny of the inner flange, looking for cracking around the hub centre. If you still have some left to work with, the hubcap threads need to be half decent. Damage to the outer end is common, often as a result of misplaced hammer blows when trying to remove wheels. A few of the outer threads can be machined off to clean them up, as long as there is ample thread left for the hubcap. A Stevens tool to clean up the threads is very handy.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic