Head Gasket Options

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paddy1998
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Delaney
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922/23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50356

Head Gasket Options

Post by paddy1998 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:35 am

Apparently copper clad head gaskets are in short supply and nobody is certain when more will become available.

Because I'd like to get back on the road sometime before Thanksgiving I'm exploring the other options, which seem to be either the steel head gasket or the silicone head gasket.

Will either of these work with a stock iron head? What, if any, are the pros and cons?

Thanks

John bevardos
First Name: John
Last Name: bevardos
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster, Coupe, pickup truck, 2-door

Re: Head Gasket Options

Post by John bevardos » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:46 am

I have used steel and sprayed copper coat ---has been working great for years .

john
Who's still makes these gaskets, I might be in the market for a solid copper one myself.

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Squirrel » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 pm

That's what I did, when I learned of the shortage and had to put my engine together, last month. I'm not worried about it.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:35 pm

Most important thing is to have the crushable metal around the combustion chambers. The water jacket holes can be sealed with heat resistant sealer, but the metal around the cylinders will keep in the compression.
Norm

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:03 pm

My last couple of gaskets have been the silicone overlay steel ring gaskets. Seem to work good for me with a high compression (7.25:1) aluminum head

Down side is you have to scrape em off piece by piece every time you take the head off. Always keep 1 or 2 on the shelf...

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:48 am

The head on my car has a small crack in the top of the water jacket. I recently obtained a good replacement and will have it surfaced before installing it. I intend to use a silicone head gasket since I have two in the shop. I won't have the block's deck ground flat since the engine is in the car. Will the silicone gasket accommodate minor flatness variations in the deck? I have not removed the old head so I don't know how flat the block is. I suppose that I will be the first to know if it seals unless others have experience with this.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic