Got me a new toy (tool) :)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Got me a new toy (tool) :)

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:42 am

I received a new tool for the shop a few days ago. It is a tool I purchased before Chickasha that was going to be delivered to the swap meet. Well we know how that turned out. Thanks to three very good Model T folks, the stand has made it from Colorado, to Tulsa, then on to Dardanelle Arkansas and then on to me. Thanks so much to Nick, Mike, and Bill. I have always wanted a rear axle / front axle rebuild stand. There are other makes of stands that are more efficient, or just work better than the KR Wilson stand, but Im very happy to have this one. Ill restore it this fall when it cools off a little and running the sand blaster will not kill me.... There is really very little to do except to sand blast and paint. The hand wheels have been broken and repaired with incorrect shaped parts. I may have some new hand wheels and spokes water blasted from plate to match the originals. The center part of the current wheels is the original part. I just need the wheels and spokes.
zzzzzzzzz (1).JPG
zzzzzzzzz (3).JPG
zzzzzzzzz (4).JPG
zzzzzzzzz (5).JPG

Topic author
dobro1956
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring

Re: Got me a new toy (tool) :)

Post by dobro1956 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:44 am

zzzzzzzzz (2).JPG
zzzzzzzzz (6).JPG
zzzzzzzzz (7).JPG
zzzzzzzzz (9).JPG

Kaiser
First Name: Leo
Last Name: van Stirum
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Kaiser » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:40 am

Nice setup !
When in trouble, do not fear, blame the second engineer ! 8-)
Leo van Stirum, Netherlands
'23 Huckster, '66 CJ5 daily driver

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Nice Grab, Donnie:
I've owned a couple of the KRW stands. Looks like the only thing you may be missing is the extender for the torque tube holder (unless you just didn't get it into your pictures). Of the ones I've seen through the years, many have had repaired hand wheels. I suspect it's from not having the stand anchored to the floor and it tipping backwards onto the hand wheels when only a heavier rear axle assembly is i the grips. Something to be aware of. Again, nice find.
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

TeveS-Nor Cal
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Straw
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 and lots of parts
MTFCA Number: 12542

Post by TeveS-Nor Cal » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:15 pm

NICE! Can I come over and use it?

Topic author
dobro1956

Post by dobro1956 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Steve S. Yes you are welcome to use any of my tools. Do your own work and clean up when done are the only rules :) :).
Sean. I do not have the extender for the TT axles. I have a small foundry, so I hope to get measurements or borrow one for a pattern. Ill cast it in brass or aluminumn. Its not something Ill use much ,but will be nice to have.

Sean Butler
First Name: Sean
Last Name: Butler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31557

Post by Sean Butler » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:42 pm

Sounds like a plan!
Attachments
A Clap Small.jpg
A Clap Small.jpg (11.25 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
Sean Butler
Huntington Beach, CA

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:50 pm

That’s a really nice unit for the shop!
I think we know that these older shop tools and equipment aren’t as plentiful as they use to be. It’s great that they are still out there but at the same time many wound up in salvage yards and still do and scrapped. That’s a shame.
At the largest salvage yard here in Central Texas you can see see old farm tractors and pieces pushed up in a huge stack along with lots of old iron fixtures ready to be hauled off. Sad but it happens.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic