Holley Vaporizer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mike zahorik
First Name: mike
Last Name: zahorik

Holley Vaporizer

Post by mike zahorik » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:40 am

Recently I had the opportunity to pick up a few Holley vaporizers. Some of them are damaged, broken exhaust manifold, warped or cracked. They are cheap, some guys will even given them away. Well..... I have one that is pretty nice. The exhaust manifold is straight and has excellent threads. I kinda wonder why it was removed. I opened the heat plate and found a large amount of carbon on both sides of the heat plate. The thick carburetor plate also has carbon on it in the pattern of the fuel flow. Is this a sign of a crack in the heat plate or maybe a leak around the sides? I cleaned the thin heat plate and cold not find a crack. Could the trouble be pin holes? A new plate is cheap, I suppose I could block everything off and see if I can draw a vacuum on it. I don't see much documentation on these. Mike

Topic author
mike zahorik

Re: Holley Vaporizer

Post by mike zahorik » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:48 am

Heres a picture of the fuel side of the heat plate and the carburetor plate.
HeatPlate.JPG

Squirrel
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Forbes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Squirrel » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:21 am

Carbon on the exhaust side of the plate comes from the exhaust, it's the result of burning fuel. Would you not expect some of that on the intake side of the plate, as well? the plate is hot! Any fuel that settles on the plate while the engine is cool, will get cooked, and result in some carbon deposits, eh?

But that's just my theory. I noted that there is black stuff on both sides of the plate on my Vaporizer, as well, and I don't suspect the plate of leaking.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:54 am

When I opened up my vaporizer, the exhaust side of the heat plate was black with soot. The gas side was clean and shiny. I don't think you should have any deposits on the fuel side, or it would indicate a leak.

Topic author
mike zahorik

Post by mike zahorik » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Thanks for the replys. Since I have no idea of how these carburetors works prior to being removed, I can only guess. And I only know of one friend that has a vaporizer on his car and it doesn't work right now. I'm hoping to help work on this car, once the weather cools down a little. Mike

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:25 pm

Problems with vac are usually related to the tube and nut above the plate. I use a liberal amount of red heat resistant silicone sealer around all junctions and have not had a problem in years of renning. I would also recommend using the original type glands with high temp sealer on them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic