Magneto problems

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
geoffrey mark
First Name: geoffrey
Last Name: mark

Magneto problems

Post by geoffrey mark » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:56 pm

No spark when switched to mag , removed Bendix and starter and hogs head , see damage to coil insulation beside starter , any fixes for this without removing engine and splitting from transmission ? Thanks

TTFarm
First Name: James
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT
MTFCA Number: 50547

Re: Magneto problems

Post by TTFarm » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:02 pm

One time that problem for me was just a wire needed replacing.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Magneto problems

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:54 pm

Someone must have tried to remove the starter while the bendix was still in place. It won't come past the coil ring and can very easily damage the ring. The old insulation is usually very brittle and the coils need to be rewound. In order to do that the engine and flywheel must be removed. Then the magneto ring removed and either rewound or replaced with a freshly rewound one. If the engine and transmission are otherwise working well with no issues, you might try using alternate ignition system such as e-timer, distributor, tru-fire or just run on battery. If you drive in relatively flat country, it will run fine on 6 volt battery. However it will be a bit slower starting out and pulling hills.
My suggestion is that if you decide to replace the magneto ring, that you go through the entire engine and transmission while it is out and rebuild or replace anything which is not in good condition. The booklet distributed by the club "Electrical System" gives instructions on how to rewind the coil ring an I have wound 3 different coil rings and they work fine. Or you can purchase a rebuilt one from the parts suppliers.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic