scat crank shaft and rods

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Huggins
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door
MTFCA Number: 50661

scat crank shaft and rods

Post by Rich Huggins » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:06 pm

hi need to know about oil dippers for scat rods

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: scat crank shaft and rods

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Rich,

Stock or stroker?

Hank

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:36 pm

If you need insert bearing dipper rods, Snyders sell them, maker, don't know but I have fitted a few sets and look a very nice rod but now no longer have STD bearings for them. As for Scat, I believe they recommend only to use oil pump with their rods and crank.

Topic author
Rich Huggins
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring- 1922 deverley truck -1922 center door

Post by Rich Huggins » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:29 pm

I do believe a stroker ss scat rods

Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Rich,

A Stroker works best with a pressurized cross drilled crank. But if you have one that is not and using conventional Model A rods (with Babbitt), then fabricating your own is the best option. We did a couple years back and found that using an 11 gauge mild steel strap, drilling a 5/16' hole in the center of the strap. Then attaching by means of brazing, 3/8" steel fuel tubing at approx. 35 degrees scoops and holds well. On the inside of the rod you can either do a method such as "X-ing" like ones offered for Model T's or go similar as a Chevy design with full groove. Either one works well. Counter sinking the inlet and outlet of the rod cap slightly after drilling a 5/32" hole. Another point to address when using these stroker's large mass rods in a non oil pressure system is you need to trap more oil in the trough as an original Model T sump/inspection plate will be get dry real quick. You can fabricate a damming system with wings or find an old 1928 Chevy oil pan. They had a very nice oil trough in them that are removable.

Hope this Helps,

Hank

Topic author
Rich Huggins

Post by Rich Huggins » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:30 pm

Have plain no oiling system dippers #1 damage due to hitting oil line that came loose and wound aroung flywheel breaking off a 3/4 in peace banging around till it got stuck in clutch been removing flywheel for 3 days now stainless allen cap bolts lock tighted in

Topic author
Rich Huggins

Post by Rich Huggins » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 pm

Finely got the flywheel off the crank hit internal oil line not enough clearance! damage mag spools and 2 magnets and the oil dippers it ended up in clutch plate photo 1 oil dipper broken off and internal oil tube broken off photo 2 rod cap missing dipper tube photo 3 rod cap with dipper these are tubes cut and thread into rod cap need like model t but deeper scoop may have to make need a oil scoop any one have one heard model a is bigger
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1451.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:07 am

Rich, the oriblem may go right back to the internal oil line, if it was a repro from the vendors. The large scoop end on the repros is poorly fixed to the tube. Before I fit a new tube I re-bronze the fitting at the junction.

Allan from down under.

26modeltt
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Leonhardt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model TT Dump Truck w/ Weaver Model G 3 ton capacity wrecker boom.
MTFCA Number: 23188
MTFCI Number: 19556

Post by 26modeltt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:10 am

Experienced clearance issues with the factory internal oil line between the block and counter balanced stroker rod cap on Model TT. Purchased stainless steel tubing and bent the tubing (see attached photo) to rise higher in the block to clear the rotating arc of the connecting rod cap. Also, I extended the length of the tubing where it exits the block towards the camshaft gear. With a tapered punch I mushroomed/expanded the I.D. of the tubing to further secure the oil line in the block.
Attachments
20200425_145930.jpg

John bevardos
First Name: John
Last Name: bevardos
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Roadster, Coupe, pickup truck, 2-door

Post by John bevardos » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 am

Rich ,
are you running splash with insert rods? Besides this issue, how are they working out ?

John
Who's still makes these gaskets, I might be in the market for a solid copper one myself.

26modeltt
First Name: Jack
Last Name: Leonhardt
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model TT Dump Truck w/ Weaver Model G 3 ton capacity wrecker boom.
MTFCA Number: 23188
MTFCI Number: 19556

Post by 26modeltt » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 am

John,

For what it's worth and Rich you can chime in as well --- running forged aluminum rods with one piece integral dippers rod caps and insert bearings (non pressurized). Accumulated over 8500 miles.

Jack

Topic author
Rich Huggins

Post by Rich Huggins » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:42 pm

John that oil tube is nice might do that .Hank the oil dam in the pan is good what height! I ordered a oil tube from Langs nice people great to work with the dippers worked fine, if the chev dippers don't work out i will fix them not much were on bearings and main concerning the the fine aluminum chips from the mag thimbles and a few large peaces from the oil tube will plaste gauge rods and mains will have to used the copper head gasket again third time is the charm its good next time will change bearings spent to much money other things engine sounded fine i think it will be fine
IMG_1471.jpg
IMG_1470.jpg

Topic author
Rich Huggins

Post by Rich Huggins » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:16 pm

Hank posted installing a dam in the oil pan that sounds good how high would it need to be and what are wings

Henry K. Lee

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Sorry been busy with young men in the shop!

The dams should be to a height on each side of the rod throw per cylinder to the bottom of crankshaft rod surface area plus 3/16". Ensure they continue at the proper radius but not to obstruct the return flow pattern in the horseshoes. You can make them removable from the inspection plate,( ie, attaches to the sides of the oil pan) for easier removal and access. Takes a bit of work but worth it. I am trying to find the photos, please be patience as I have a lot of irons hot.

Hank

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic