Restoration woes.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Restoration woes.

Post by Jeepbone1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:27 am

So something has been nagging in the back of my head for a while. When I got my TT all body work and paint had been done. On a whim, I decided to go up to that attic and unwrap one of the front fenders and sure enough no mounting holes have been drilled and the mounting brackets haven’t been installed. Such a shame because it’s all been painted and looks perfect. Good thing I know a great body man...... this may get more expensive.

Brad

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Restoration woes.

Post by Allan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:55 am

Brad, that's the way they come. You Have to find your own brackets from old fenders and fit them. There is a positive in your case. The fender is painted where the brackets go, so they will not rust between the bracket and top. Remember there are two brackets for each front fender.

Allan from down under.

Tim Rogers
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:29 am

Applying paint to body panels and pieces is the very last thing that is done during a restoration. The body should be assembled prior to painting to avoid what has happened in your situation.
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:29 am

That’s something that’s overlooked. New fenders don’t have the brackets.
The reason is probably that the original brackets were pressed into shape on a press and the cost to reproduce them wouldn’t be cheap.
Lots of old rusted up fenders have gone to the scrap yards when the brackets should have been saved.
Fender brackets aren’t hard to install and lots of info on the forum about ways to do it. It’s not as difficult as you think.
It helps a lot to have the old fender to go by when replacing them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic