Interesting video from 1929

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John E. Guitar
First Name: John
Last Name: Guitar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring, 1924 Tourer
Board Member Since: 2012

Interesting video from 1929

Post by John E. Guitar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Re: Interesting video from 1929

Post by Chris Barker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 am

Hmmmmm.
The sound and picture quality seems rather good for 1929.
Just 2 years after The Jazz Singer.

OilyBill
First Name: William
Last Name: May
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout

Post by OilyBill » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:48 am

Awesome video!
When I flew over to China, I kept a watch out my airplane window, looking for ships.
When the Titanic sank, one of the things that struck me when you read the accounts, is that there were SO MANY OTHER THIPS OUT THERE.
Titanic had replies from about 8 ships, all at a distance of less than 100 miles. (Too far to be of help, but still, they were everywhere!)
When I flew to China, the seas were empty. I don't think I saw even 2 ships during the entire flight of 16 hours.
This man talks about seeing 30 ships on the Hudson River, constantly. and then mentions that now he doesn't see a single one.
Just a tiny measure of how things change over time.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:54 am

I wonder if he was Donald Trump's grandfather? He looks a bit like him and has a lot of energy for an old man. Actually his "play" is his gym. He is in good physical and mental health because he does more than just sit down. I can remember that during the 1950's I thought that just about everything that would ever be invented had already been invented. See what has happened since those days. With zoom and other technologies today it is almost like an "out of body" experience. What used to take weeks or months to pass a message or news of something happening in a remote place is now seen and heard instantly! Unfortunately, a virus can be spread around the world very quickly too. This man would have seen the world go from horses to Automobiles in his lifetime. What he considered new, is to us an antique! I wonder if he drove a Model T?

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am

Norm,

I don't know how accurate it was, but I once read that there was a movement in the 1890's to close the U.S. Patent Office. The argument of the proponents of this plan was simply, "After all, everything that can be invented already has been invented."

Boy, were they ever on the wrong track.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 am

It brings back memories of the funny old people I remember in the 50's. Their attitudes and quirks don't seem as odd to me now. :)
Thanks for the look at him.
Rich
When did I do that?

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:43 pm

He doesn't seem that old to me any more... --lol-- I remember a old man who used to prospect in the Movave desert and Death Valley... talked about using a leather belt as a main bearing in his old model T to get back into town. And then I started thinking about it - back then Angel was 60 or so years old. Now that '55 chevy or '60 T-Bird is just as old... :shock:

And he sounded kind of like the old farmer in '29, maybe not quite as spry, but there ya go. I'm glad they got the audio along with the video (betcha the audio was on an accompanying record)... Then again, I look in a mirror and think "Gee, I'm not that old"... and then remember my grandma (who was my age back when I was a rugrat) and think, damn... do my grankdkids look at me like that?!?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic