Clutch finger screws

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jaybee47
First Name: jay
Last Name: bolante
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31221
Board Member Since: 2015

Clutch finger screws

Post by jaybee47 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:00 pm

I am not getting increased speed when shifting from low to high gear. Seems the clutch is slipping.
Assuming the 3 clutch finger screws are identical in length, I believe the protrusion of each screw from the finger is to be the same. A sketch is attached of what I discovered before I prepared to adjust the clutch disc pressure. The sketch shows the situation inherited from the previous owner. I thought to check with you guys before I start turning the screws.
Clutch finger screws.pdf
(87.74 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Topic author
jaybee47
First Name: jay
Last Name: bolante
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 31221
Board Member Since: 2015

Re: Clutch finger screws

Post by jaybee47 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:09 pm

Sketch
Clutch finger screwsj.JPG

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Simplest procedure is to make a go/no-go gauge from sheet metal that is 13/16" across and begin with that measurement near all three finger positions between the back of the throw-out collar to the driven plate - adjust each adjustment screw to provide equal distance & the clutch spring is compressed to 2" +/- a smidge. Test drive and if the clutch is still slipping, re-adjust each finger 1/2 turn at a time, re-insert cotter pin & try again.

P.I.B. but that's the initial clutch setting THEN you have to do the other two adjustments as outlined in the "Bible".

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:35 pm

I would set it to 13/16 and if that does not work give the screws a little more, could of been weak spring or the modern clutch has lost some facing.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:37 pm

If you can not figure it out would be glad to help you out, I am only a couple hours away. Joe

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 pm

I agree with the above. When you are in high gear the fingers should not be pressing on the spring. The spring should be tight against the disks. A few things could be giving you a problem. One is the adjustment for free neutral. and the adjustment of the cam screw on the clutch lever. Another thing which is very likely to be causing the problem would be the position of the parking brake lever when all the way forward. If something is keeping it from going all the way forward you will have a problem with high gear. The slot in the floor board should allow it to go all the way forward. Another thing would be if the brake rods are adjusted too long. They should be adjusted so that when you push the brake handle all the way forward and the rod is pushed all the way back, you can put the clevis pin right in without bending the rod. After you make this adljustment drive the car at a slow speed and pull on the parking brake. If it pulls to one side, tighten the opposite side by one half turn and try again. Do this by half turn adjustments till the car stops straight with the parking brake.
Now when you shift from low to high using the pedal, push up on the gas to slow the engine as it goes into high and when it starts to pull in high advance the throttle to pick up speed. If you leave the throttle advanced while you make the shift, your clutch is much more likely to slip and wear out the disks.
Norm

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:35 pm

As Norm said and also a way to to see what kind of clutch adjustment you have is to place the car on a level floor and place the hand brake in a straight up position.
You should be able move the car fairly easy by either pushing it or pulling it by the spare tire carrier from behind. Or see if you pull up on the hand crank ( key off! ) and the car won’t move.
If the car doesn’t move you have a good free neutral. If not something in the linkage is out of the adjustment or somewhere else.

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks Joe - you're a lot closer than I am !

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:23 pm

An easy way to make a tool for setting the 13/16" gap is to weld a handle made of thin rod to the side of a standard 13/16" wheel nut from any modern car. Here in Australia, most Fords run that size on 1/2" studs.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Bill Robinson
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Robinson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '21 Depot Hack, '25 Touring Car, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Tudor, & another '27 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 22487
MTFCI Number: 17887
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Bill Robinson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:42 pm

Just something to check. Quick story- a couple of years ago I had a prospective buyer come to my shop to drive one of my T's. He drove the car and followed me to a country lunch stop 15 miles away. No problems. When we left the lunch stop, I looked in my rear view mirror about a half mile into the trip and he wasn't there, so I turned around. He was driving in low gear. Simple fix- He leaned forward, pushed the hand brake lever for 2 more clicks. That's not much but enough to have a slight disengagement clutch plates. We made it home and he bought the car.
clapping.gif
clapping.gif (13.38 KiB) Viewed 3563 times

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:42 am

When I adjusted my clutch fingers I just turned them out until there was just some slack and pinned them there, what could be simpler?

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

Seeing all the differences in how far the screws are, you really need to start with a good base line and go from there. Sure it may take a few tries to get a good clutch, but you will end up with an evenly adjust set of fingers and even pressure on the clutch ring. Because of the single slot, they will not be exactly 13/16 to start but close.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic