A dumb question about TT tires

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Wiebold

A dumb question about TT tires

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 pm

Howdy all,

So I've gone and bought a pair of 5.00x23 tires for the rear axle of my 1925 TT project, which *I think* are correct for the 23" split rims I have. For the front axle, I used the turnbuckle trick in the mounting bosses to "pull in" on the rim, but the rear rims have no bosses through which I could run a turnbuckle... By hand, I can't quite get the rim squeezed in enough to fit through the tire. Is there a trick here that I'm missing? The rim would go if I could get it pinched down just that *little* bit more, but I'm not sure how I can get it any further on my own...

Thanks in advance!
- Brett

mtntee20
First Name: Terry & Sharon
Last Name: Miller
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Center Door, 1920 TTWood cab Farm Truck with cable dump grain bed, 1920 TT C-Cab with express bed, 1927 Wood body Dairy Delivery truck
MTFCA Number: 32583
Board Member Since: 2017

Re: A dumb question about TT tires

Post by mtntee20 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:33 am

Brett,

A "split rim" tool is a big advantage. Basically, it's a three legged screw jack that clamps on the inside of the rim. When rotated one way, it collapses the rim and when rotated the other way, it expands the rim so the rim can be locked. For the "split ring" wheels, you can adjust the tool so it makes it easier to install the "split ring" and ensure it seats properly.

Search split rim tool or rim jack on the forum. They are for sale on the forum quite often.

Good Luck,
Terry

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:40 am

True .... but many a split rim has been ruined by using this tool incorrectly. Must turn it 180 * to expand rim under the tire. You in Golden CO ?
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Topic author
Herr_Wiebold
First Name: Brett
Last Name: Wiebold

Post by Herr_Wiebold » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:26 pm

George,

Yes I'm in Golden CO. You wouldn't happen to know of a tool nearby, would you? :lol:

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:15 am

Yeah, Brett.... there’s my friend Paul Mikeska in Denver. If he doesn’t have one, he’ll know of one you might borrow. You can search his contact info on this Forum or just start a thread titled ‘Hey Paul Mikeska !!’
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic