Transmission bands and synthetic oil

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Budreau
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Budreau
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Tudor, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Depot Hack, 1925 Touring
MTFCA Number: 377
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Transmission bands and synthetic oil

Post by Budreau » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:39 am

I know I'm stirring the hornets nest, but I have a legitimate oil question.

Lately I'm finding synthetic oil is as affordable and sometimes cheaper than conventional oil. So in my recent oil change I used 5w30 synthetic (4 QTs for only $8).

I seem to recall a passing comment that synthetic can cause transmission bands to not catch. Is there any validity or experience to this statement? My bands are fine, but once in a rare while it seems a band is slower to catch. I don't know if I'm playing mind games with myself or if I'm experiencing a legitimate issue due to synthetic oil.

Thanks, and here's hoping to no fights in this thread. :)
Chad
Last edited by Budreau on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b][size=130]Chad Budreau[/size][/b]
1924 Depot Hack | 1925 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: Transmission bands and synthetic oil

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:30 am

Slippage, reportedly due to synthetic oil, needs to be explained with the type of bands used, if bands were correctly adjusted, brand oil and weight, driving conditions and driver experience. There are just too many variables to eliminate preferences and rumor. just my 2 cents - oops forgot about inflation my 2 bits :|
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 pm

Chad,,, no fight here,,,,, Been using Mobil One motorcycle 15W40 and wood band liners for 20 years with no problems,,, my oil choice was suggested by Fred Houston, past President of the MTFCA,and a noted Model T restorer, may he rest in Peace... Thanks Fred.

Bob J.

Topic author
Budreau
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Tudor, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Depot Hack, 1925 Touring

Post by Budreau » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:12 pm

@TRDxB2, I have Kevlar bands and good drums. I believe they have been adjusted correctly. The issue can be on any gear and is very intermittent, normally no issues when driving. I'm experiencing this with my Hack and Touring, but not my Speedster (which I drove about 40 miles yesterday). I have been driving Model Ts for 12 years, but still learning.

I normally use 5w30 conventional, whatever brand is on sale. I have used higher weights. Perhaps this is an oil weight issue, especially in the heat of summer, and not a synthetic vs conventional oil issue.

FWIW, the synthetic oil was Gastrol.
0719201415-03.jpeg
Chad
Last edited by Budreau on Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:16 pm

I have used regular & synthetic oils in my T's. I find no difference in band grip, one way or the other.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I have no specifics to quote, but my gut feeling is oil of 5w viscosity is too thin in a motor like a model T. I stick with 20w 40, which often comes up on special around $2/litre. It's a mineral oil, and is invariably cheaper than synthetics. With a climate similar to southern California, we have no need for thin winter weight oil.
I tried some 5w 30 in Henrietta, thinking it may help to flush out accumulated crud when I returned her to the road. On that oil, she ran no 1 rod bearing. Perhaps this was a coincidence. However, when fitting an exchange rod with the motor still in the car, I removed the pan inspection cover and the horse shoes in the pan. You would not believe the amount of gritty muck that was dammed up behind the horseshoes. I am glad the new oil had little time to turn this all loose.

Allan from down under.

Allan from down under

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:44 pm

I think a lot oils do great, but when we are referring to a Model T, take into consideration that the engine is a splash system with no real filtration. A non detergent would be best and add a little zinc additive since it has not been in our production oils for about 5 years. Keeping the bad particles suspended in a splash system is in my opinion not really good. I use a straight 30 wt Rotella with about 4 oz of zinc additive. JMO!

All the Best,

Hank

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:07 am

Budreau wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:39 am
...I seem to recall a passing comment that synthetic can cause transmission bands to not catch. Is there any validity or experience to this statement? My bands are fine, but once in a rare while it seems a band is slower to catch. I don't know if I'm playing mind games with myself or if I'm experiencing a legitimate issue due to synthetic oil.
Thanks, and here's hoping to no fights in this thread. :)
Chad
:oops: Just trying to bring focus back to the original topic - its about the possibility of transmission bands slipping when using synthetic oil. A question I am also looking for an answer to. Two answers so far - no slippage when using wood or kevlar bands
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

George N Lake Ozark
First Name: George P
Last Name: Clipner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '26 Touring
MTFCI Number: 18665

Post by George N Lake Ozark » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:46 am

I have Kev. Bands and always found them grabby or chatter, a quart of ATF stopped it . How ever when I converted to SynTec all chattering went away. First SynTec I used was Amsoil Z-Rod for classic cars and claimed to work well with wet clutch cars. Yep it was ok. But due to expense I have been using Walmart Full syntec 4 stork motorcycle oil also works well with wet clutches. I'm using 20/50 .

Topic author
Budreau

Post by Budreau » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:16 am

5w30, 15w40, 10w30 - all good information, but ultimately I'm curious if synthetic oil lubricates too well causing a occasional band slippage? I don't recall this issue with conventional. It's hard to quantify the occurrence, but this happens randomly on any gear in two of my three Model Ts. If I were to quantify the slippage, I'd say it happens once every 50 clutch/pedal engagements.

I'll probably give a half turn to tighten my bands, but before I do I was curious if this could possibly be an oil issue.

Thanks all!

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:18 am

Sorry Chad,

Never seen any ill effects. Long day in the sun yesterday!

Hank

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:29 am

Been using Amsoil10W-40 (high zinc) oil in my '26 Touring for 5 years now. Have kevlar bands properly adjusted. No issues with slippage at all.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:58 am

Just my opinion... Starting out on a drive it seems like you have no problem with your bands applying as you adjusted... As the engine warms up, metal will expand a bit possibly causing the effect of loosening up your band contact on the drum...????

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic