Model T versus Model A Valve Springs

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Model T versus Model A Valve Springs

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:48 pm

What is the difference in diameter, length, and spring pressure of Model T, Model A, and flathead V8 valve springs? If a owner wanted slightly more spring pressure to run with a high lift cam, could A or V8 springs be used if they provided higher spring pressure and were compatible in size? Would using stock reproduction springs with shims be better?

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Re: Model T versus Model A Valve Springs

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 pm

I have seen A springs in a model T. I think they put too much pressure on the cam bearings which are much larger in an A. I use new springs and you can shim them if you want more pressure but I have not found it necessary. The valves won’t float until you are way past the rpm limits of most T engines.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:38 pm

years ago I did a valve job on a T that had crap for compression, all the exhaust valves where mushroomed out from have a heavier spring they looked like A's but might have been some thing else?? All I know once the valves and springs where changed out it ran well after?? I have asked about extra spring pressure for my Rajo and have never got an answer on that one. Hope this helps?? Joe

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Overheads want more spring pressure because the weight of the pushrods, heavier valves, and higher rpm range can all contribute to valve float.

Topic author
ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks Erik and Joe. You answered my concern.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm

I built a T engine with a really high performance A cam and the T springs float at about 4300 rpm!! So a useful built in rev limiter on a flathead T engine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic