Buckeye Auto Electric Alternator

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Buckeye Auto Electric Alternator

Post by Tmooreheadf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:41 pm

I had an LD Becker alternator go south last week after 10 plus years on a car we drive often. He told me thence that the warranty would run out upon his passing.
Replaced it with a Buckeye Auto Electric alternator, both being 6 volts.
Delivery was fast in only 2 days. $250 including shipping. I know I should probably be using a generator, but this new one is slick! 3 year warranty to boot. First electrical device I have used from these folks at Buckeye. He is always been at the Marietta swap meet and seems to sell several alternators and starters. He also does repair work accordingly to his website, including generators. I'll be happy with another 10+ years of trouble free use!

Franko
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Franko
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 & 1927
MTFCA Number: 25233
MTFCI Number: 25597

Re: Buckeye Auto Electric Alternator

Post by Franko » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:08 pm

Super people to deal with! Purchased 4 alternators from them.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:22 am

Slick if the look like the pictures they show (model t generator)
Each unit comes with a full two-year guarantee against defects, and is built to be a direct replacement on your engine. No need to change any of your existing wiring! Low speed, quick turn-on. The 12-volt version is capable of 80 amp output; the 6-volt version is capable of 40-amp output.
https://www.buckeyeautoelectric.com/mod ... =model%20t
Also rebuild Model T Generators & Starters
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Gonenorth
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Whelihan
MTFCA Number: 30688
Board Member Since: 2008

Post by Gonenorth » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:19 am

I purchased one for my car a couple years ago. The pinned on gear did not mesh correctly with my camshaft gear, even after multiple shims. Returned it, got another one. Same issue. Puled it back out to check the gear mesh and discovered it was off significantly. They use a gold plated gear of some sort. Pulled the unit and sent it to Birdhaven to have them install their gear. That did mesh far better with the cam gear. Ran the unit for a while, but eventually found a local outfit that could rebuild my old generator, so I went that route. With LED lights I really don't need 40 amps anymore and I prefer the original look of the generator on the engine.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am

Help me understand here. Their website shows nothing that looks like what we might recognize as an alternator. Do they somehow fit a small alternator inside a Model T generator housing?? If so, they don't seem to say so. An alternator hidden within a T generator housing would be a huge selling point that they'd be silly not to highlight! If not, then why not show an image of what they really produce? I don't get it... :?

ModelTWoods
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Woods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan
MTFCI Number: 20180

Post by ModelTWoods » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:24 pm

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am
Help me understand here. Their website shows nothing that looks like what we might recognize as an alternator. Do they somehow fit a small alternator inside a Model T generator housing?? If so, they don't seem to say so. An alternator hidden within a T generator housing would be a huge selling point that they'd be silly not to highlight! If not, then why not show an image of what they really produce? I don't get it... :?
Jerry, I think he was referring to the 12 volt alternator that Snyder's has in their catalog (T-5119-AX) which they claim, "a 50 amp alternator that resembles the original Model T generator", although in my opinion, it lacks resemblance, greatly. The picture in Snyder's catalog, shows it from only one view and the detail of the alternator are not clear and specific. Buckeye, does make another Model T alternator, basically a standard automotive alternator with a gear installed on the shaft (Snyder's T-5119-B6 6 volt and T-5119-B 12 volt).

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Tom, who did you speak with at Buckeye alternator ??

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:31 pm

Ask for Generator Joe at Buckeye Electric.

He knows all the answers.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:43 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:24 pm
Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:14 am
Jerry, I think he was referring to the 12 volt alternator that Snyder's has in their catalog (T-5119-AX) which they claim, "a 50 amp alternator that resembles the original Model T generator", although in my opinion, it lacks resemblance, greatly. The picture in Snyder's catalog, shows it from only one view and the detail of the alternator are not clear and specific. Buckeye, does make another Model T alternator, basically a standard automotive alternator with a gear installed on the shaft (Snyder's T-5119-B6 6 volt and T-5119-B 12 volt).
Terry,

I'm not referring to anything Snyder's has. It's the Buckeye Electric offering shown here that I'm questioning: https://www.buckeyeautoelectric.com/mod ... =model%20t

ModelTWoods
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Model T coupe, 1926 4 door sedan

Post by ModelTWoods » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:47 am

Tom, No offense meant toward you. I was just pointing out that even though Buckeye may not show an alternator for a Model T that looks like a T generator on their website or catalog, Snyders sell Buckeye starter, generators, and alternators and Snyder's does list a T alternator in their catalog that they claim, looks somewhat like an alternator. That's all I meant.

Jerry VanOoteghem

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 pm

ModelTWoods wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:47 am
Tom, No offense meant toward you. I was just pointing out that even though Buckeye may not show an alternator for a Model T that looks like a T generator on their website or catalog, Snyders sell Buckeye starter, generators, and alternators and Snyder's does list a T alternator in their catalog that they claim, looks somewhat like an alternator. That's all I meant.
Terry,

I think you meant "Jerry" above? If so, absolutely no offense taken. Sorry if my reply even suggested it. Not intentional. I see what you mean now about the Snyder's offering. Thanks!

Topic author
Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Post by Tmooreheadf » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 pm

The alternator from Buckeye looks similar to the one Teaxs T sells. Pretty much a ACDelco looking unit.
Driving the car today, it would appear there is a gear mesh problem, as was mentioned previously. I was feeling and hearing a vibration that I could no identify. Talked to Joe at Buckeye and he will look in to it. Says is has not been a problem before from the many he sells. Took the alternator off, noise went away. Joe will get back to me when he checks his inventory. Beckers and Texas T run smooth. Hope we can get it fixed. I still believe it is s nice alternative.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Adding another mounting gasket between the engine and the generator bracket will give more clearance for gears..... As noticed as a change of sound when the unit was removed and the engine ran

ModelTWoods

Post by ModelTWoods » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Tmooreheadf wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 pm
The alternator from Buckeye looks similar to the one Teaxs T sells. Pretty much a ACDelco looking unit.
Driving the car today, it would appear there is a gear mesh problem, as was mentioned previously. I was feeling and hearing a vibration that I could no identify. Talked to Joe at Buckeye and he will look in to it. Says is has not been a problem before from the many he sells. Took the alternator off, noise went away. Joe will get back to me when he checks his inventory. Beckers and Texas T run smooth. Hope we can get it fixed. I still believe it is s nice alternative.
Snyder's sells three different alternators, two that are probably modified AC Delco units, a 6 volt and a 12 volt, and a unknown make 12 volt alternator which is the one in Snyder's catalog, which they advertise as looking like a T generator. It is not available as a 6 volt unit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic