Safest way to haul a coupe on an open trailer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Safest way to haul a coupe on an open trailer

Post by Oldav8tor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:21 am

A friend of mine is hauling a '23 Coupe from Texas to Michigan. He'll be using a open car hauler. His question is whether it would be easier on the car to haul it facing forward or backwards on the trailer? It has a sunshade on the front that doesn't look too substantial for 70-75 mph winds. I also wonder about the fenders flapping. Any suggestions?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: Safest way to haul a coupe on an open trailer

Post by Dan Hatch » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 am

Watch out top is not sucked out or off it. Might want to cover top with a net. Dan

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:38 am

You're going to get a lot of opinions here for sure. Loading the car backwards moves the engine weight back on the trailer and lightens the tongue weight on the hitch. Depending on how long the trailer is, the weight could end up being behind the axle of the trailer making for a very poor towing and handling trailer, and possibly a dangerous situation. I say load it forward and slow down to 55 or remove the shade. The fenders will be OK. Floorboards might be blown off the floor if not secured.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 am

The rolls of plastic for wraping skids about 20 inches wide works well. You can wrap the top and all glass. Keeps the doors shut also. I used this method to bring home a wood cab. Floorboards and hood will need removed or fastened going at highway speed.
You can get plastic wraping at walmart. I used this to bring a 24 coupe home from Detroit also.

Susanne
First Name: Susanne
Last Name: Rohner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Late '15 touring, "Angel".
MTFCA Number: 464
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Susanne » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Don't pull 70-75 MPH! :shock: That's asking for trouble. Take the extra time and slow down... Think about the last time you drove a coupe at 70-75 MPH... :lol:

Ditto on the flooboards and hood - You won't be there to notice the hood hop off the holddowns and fly away... or the floorboards bounce up and go under the car and join the hood...

Ideally you want to have one of those gigs to push the air around the car... keep the rocks and stuff from putting chips and pits in your windshield. I've seen people make high density foam coverings for the forward facing surfaces, just to keep dings from happening.

HalSched
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Schedler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 23 RA, 25 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 16688
MTFCI Number: 19356
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by HalSched » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 pm

A good rule of thumb is to have at least 10% of your load forward of the axle. Don't load backward. Been there, done that.

RustyFords
First Name: Don
Last Name: Allen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50001

Post by RustyFords » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Dallas Landers wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 am
The rolls of plastic for wraping skids about 20 inches wide works well. You can wrap the top and all glass. Keeps the doors shut also. I used this method to bring home a wood cab. Floorboards and hood will need removed or fastened going at highway speed.
You can get plastic wraping at walmart. I used this to bring a 24 coupe home from Detroit also.
My dad and I pulled a junky Model A coupe home several years ago and did exactly this to keep the roof intact.
1924 Touring

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:49 pm

Protection from the elements and parking lot vandalism - You can prop some cardboard boxes in front of the windshield for protection and make the front a bit more aerodynamic. Only could find a picture of a boat in the wrap but a role is enough for another car.
Attachments
wrap.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:56 pm

What Susanne said. 70-75 is way too fast to tow a T on an open trailer. If you do a fantastic job of tying it down and cover it with a substantial (in capital letters) tarp , you might consider 60 mph. If you want to travel at or above the speed limit, you need an enclosed trailer. The T simply wasn't designed to move at those speeds. If you are determined to do it, at least lower the top and as was said earlier, secure or remove the floorboards. I wouldn't do it.

rickg
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Goelz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Fordor, 1926 Coupe, 1923 popcorn Truck
MTFCA Number: 24965

Post by rickg » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm

I have pulled my 26 coupe all over on a open trailer, i pull it backwards, the engine ends up between the axles, i wrap it with stretch wrap to prevent rock chips and other damage plus it keeps the visor from getting damaged, and the air moves over it better, i do the same with my 24 Fordor, i have never had a problem.

Rick

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Here is my coupe. 70 mph all the way home.
Attachments
20200730_161938.jpg

2nighthawks
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Schwendeman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 Roadster Pickup, '26 Touring, '27 Depot Hack, '23 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by 2nighthawks » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:24 pm

For what it's worth,.....to add a bit to what Susanne and John C. said,.....I have an open trailer and also a 27' enclosed trailer, and which ever trailer I'm pulling, I make it sort of a "self-imposed" personal rule to follow the posted speed limit signs for trucks in whatever state I'm in,.....again,.....FWIW,.....harold

JSteele
First Name: John P.
Last Name: Steele
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 374
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 137

Post by JSteele » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm

I have made several 3000 plus mile trips with a 1922 coupe on an open trailer. I do not have a sun visor on mine. It's not going to win a Stynoski award either. The first time I wrapped it up like Christmas package which worked fine. The second and longer trip I bought a 1/2 sheet of 1/4" plywood from Home Depot for the top and then used ratchet straps from the running boards across the top to hold the plywood down. It will need a little trimming. Make sure the straps fastened to the car and not the trailer. You should sand or feather the edges of the plywood just to protect your top. As mentioned above the 20 inch plastic package rapping from Wal Mart around the sides of the top should protect your visor, glass and keeps doors closed . If you have a way to pull or push your car onto the trailer wrapping is easier to do on the ground. I have used that on other things and it holds up amazingly well in the wind on a trailer. It's like $20 a roll and a roll last forever, don't be cheap with it when rapping.
I drive 70+ mph. If your trailer is single axle you might not want to run that fast. Watch how things go the first 10-20 miles and then periodically check and you should have no problem, but pay attention. Best to have your engine weight in front of the trailer axles or at least over them if you have long trailer. Proper tongue weights important. When things go south with a trailer there is often little or no warning.
A couple of straps off the front strap going across the top over your visor down to the head light or a bumper might also help, as would adding a board across the visor. I think if you pay attention you will be fine.
A strap over the hood is probably smart, put something under it to protect your paint. I have carpet and floor boards have stayed put. When I pulled my 15 roadster on an open trailer, I open the windshield, top part folded, floor boards and seat cushion come out and go in the truck, top was put down.
A little common sense, which I have little of, adjust accordingly, which I have sometimes fail to do and it will be fine.

Tmooreheadf
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Moorehead
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring, 25 Coupe,
MTFCA Number: 22348
MTFCI Number: 18916

Post by Tmooreheadf » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Make a cover for the front of the radiator. We haul open trailer all of the time. Protects radiator and no need to remove floor boards. Haul car either direction on the trailer.
We haul the 25 coupe backwards. Still put radiator shield on. Trailer is 12' long. No issues with tongue weight. I do wrap a covered rope around the entire upper body to prevent the doors from coming open. The 20" plastic wrap works well here, too.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:37 pm

When doing promotion work for Haigh's Chocolates in my 1912 van, we have a corflute panel made up for each promo, and it attaches to the rear curtain fasteners.
Out of date corflutes make excellent protectors for the front of a T being towed. I have circle cut for the headlights, a blanking plate for the radiator and a full cover for the windscreen. These are held securely in place with zip ties. They can be used over and over.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Chris Barker
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Chris Barker » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 am

I have always towed my '26 Coupe forwards on an open trailer. No bother. I usually stay at 60 but have occasionally gone faster. No bother.
I cover the rad because I once got the timer etc all wet.
The battery gets wet in heavy rain.
I do attach elastic straps to the bonnet (hood) catches.
I have wondered about towing backwards. I'm sure the drag would be less, but I worry about the doors. If one came open........

If I had an earlier car with rear hinged doors, I might tow that backwards.

Jim Eubanks
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Eubanks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 touring, 1927 cpe
MTFCA Number: 49847
MTFCI Number: 8340

Post by Jim Eubanks » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:51 am

I am with Chris, I have pulled my 27 cpe many miles on an open trailer facing forward and interstate speeds with no problems. I can imagine what would happen if one pulled a cpe with bad wood, visor and what else would come loose. I also strap the hood on my Ts when hauling.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:13 am

I've towed my Fordor Sedan with a visor many thousands of miles. It faces forward. I had the visor break some years back. It broke not so much due to going 70 mph, but more due to the visor's frame being rusted badly. Consider that when you're doing 70, you're most likely not travelling in still air. Going 70 into a 30 mph head wind means 100 mph wind.

If you cover the car with anything, be VERY careful with what you use to wrap, and how tight you wrap it. I wrapped a car many years ago, the tarp vibrated in the wind all the way and beat the hell out of the car's paint. Worst part was a hook from a bungee cord the continually beat on the edge of a fender. Made a 2" diameter patch the looked sandblasted and beat by a hammer. I like the stretch wrap idea!

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:23 am

I have not pulled a closed T on an open trailer, however, I do pull open cars all the time. I put the top down and put a boot on the top. I once pulled my 22 without the boot. I only went about 20 miles on the trailer that time but there was a head wind and the top material got untacked so I always use a boot. The floor boards will stay in place with a little weight such as a gallon of water. I have gone 500 miles or more with the water on the floorboard no problem. I face the car forward, and so far have not had a hood come off. I do make sure the hood latches are secure and if they aren't tight on the hood, I cut a piece of rubber tubing and slit one side and slide over the bead. That will give you a tighter fit of the hood latch.
Norm

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:25 am

I will also add this. If you wrap the car, be sure it is tight. If not, the wind will whip the wrapping and ruin the paint on the car.
Norm

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:02 pm

On trips t hat require an overnight stay in a motel - remove any loose items that passerby's might take as a souvenir (radiator caps etc). Park, so the car can't be rolled off or the trailer hauled away.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810

Post by Oldav8tor » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:29 am

My friend is on his way to Texas and is really grateful for all the suggestions. Hopefully we'll see him on here as he digs into his new Model T. Thanks!
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Jeff Hood
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Hood
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1923 Fordor, 1924 Martin Parry Canopy Express, 1925 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 25636

Post by Jeff Hood » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:04 pm

In the picture of Dallas' coupe on the yellow trailer, The cars engine is over the front axle of the trailer and the rest of the car's weight is forward of the axles. This probably towed nicely, and may have actually had a little too much tongue weight. It appears to be about a 20 foot trailer with tandem axles and brakes. Load a car backwards like this on a short "T" size trailer of 14 feet or less (like many people own) and the towing dynamics change drastically, especially if it is a single axle!

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Where in Texas is he going, traveling on US 59?

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:01 pm

I wish all the best on the trip to Texas. Having said that, I am reminded of the following quotes: "What can go wrong, will go wrong." and "The improbability of disaster is of small comfort to it's victim."

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:55 pm

In 2001, I hauled my ‘26 coupe on a U-Haul open trailer from York, Maine to Bartow, Florida. I winched it on with an electric winch with the front facing forward and tied down the wheels with the webbed wheel tie downs as well as cable come along on each axle for redundancy. Not too tight as a come-along can damage the axles. I removed the hood and put it in the back seat of my truck along with the floor boards, the seats and anything else that could blow out or fall through the floor. To protect from rain, road debris and kicked up stones hitting the car or windshield, I bought a roll of 6 mil 20’ x 100’ visqueen and three rolls of duct tape and wrapped the car with several layers of visqueen up and over and around and secured the visqueen wrapped car with many wrappings of duct tape around the body vertically and horizontally, over and around, using two rolls of duct tape and reserving the third roll for the trip to secure the wrappings that come loose. I used so much duct tape that it almost completely covered the visqueen. Although the trailer said to drive no faster than 45 mph, I discovered that, with the well constructed U-Haul trailer, I could easily keep up with the other traffic going 75 mph all the way to Florida. Only once, did I need to use the extra roll of duct tape to touch up some minor wind damage to my wrapping job. The trip could not have gone better. I drove straight through. I believe it took about 30 hours. Jim Patrick.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic