Checking Toe end

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Checking Toe end

Post by John kuehn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 pm

My 21 Touring seems to be pulling to the left. I intend to check the toe end this weekend and have read previous posts about it. Seems that folks have different ideas about the cause of pulling to one side. Don’t think the axle is bent but would out of adjustment toe end cause it?

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Re: Checking Toe end

Post by Kerry » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 am

What sort of wear are the tires showing?

Alan Long
First Name: Alan
Last Name: Long
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 Canadian Touring Car and 1926 Australian built Utility

Post by Alan Long » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 am

Be it excessive Toe in or Toe out, both tyres will have a similar “feathering”wear pattern across the whole Tyre.
Excessive positive Camber tyres will wear on the outer sides or negative camber the inner sides. Incorrect Caster has no effect
on Tyre wear but handling and wandering side effects
Alan

GrandpaFord
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Kaminar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22425

Post by GrandpaFord » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17 am

While you are at it, check the caster and camber on both sides. You can get a rough idea of the camber by just sighting down the car on both sides to see how the front wheels compare with the rear wheels. Adjust the toe-in last after adjusting the other geometry. If the caster is different side to side you have will have to straighten the axle.

Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Post by Mark Osterman » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:47 am

Fix the toe in as soon as possible. It’s amazing how wuickly you can destroy a set of front tires when the adjustment is incorrect.

Topic author
John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Crawled under the front end and noticed some looseness in the ball and yoke. Went ahead and ordered some tie rod bolts and replacing those while I’m at it with a new yoke and ball.
I don’t think it’s the reason for pulling to the left and will check things out closer after the new parts are installed.

Also been looking at past posts about straightening a bent axle and noticed a post about checking for straighteners with a straight edge across the length of the axle. It was bowed some and it was straightened with a log chain and a floor jack.
Didn’t look that hard to do and may try it that way after checking the alignment.

GrandpaFord
First Name: Neil
Last Name: Kaminar
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22425

Post by GrandpaFord » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm

John,

There are special tools available to straighten an axle but what I used was a 6 foot pipe wrench. I wrapped the axle with 1/8 thick aluminum so that the pipe wrench would not scar the axle. I used a floor jack on the end of the pipe wrench and actually lifted the front of the car off the ground. I have double wishbones and loosened the ones on the side that I bent. You can make the special tool using a piece of 1/2 inch steel and a cutting torch.

Topic author
John kuehn

Post by John kuehn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm

Yes I’ve seen pics of the axle straightening wrench and the repos. It did seem to me that using a 1/2” piece of steel and making the wrench end and welding it on a piece of thick wall drill stem pipe about 5-6 ft long would work. Ive got the drill stem and flat iron on the farm to make one.
Thats another one of those T shop tools that was thrown to the scrappers as years went by that people didn’t know what it was for so it was scrapped. I probably saw one at farm auctions years ago and didn’t know what it was for. Used to see lots of frames and T trailers but wasent looking for old tools at the time.

The post I saw earlier was of an axle that was bowed in the middle and was off the car that was straightened with a log chain and floor jack.

Steve Hughes
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Hughes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1921 Centerdoor
MTFCA Number: 216
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 23070

Post by Steve Hughes » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm

For pulling to the left, I would check to see that the left wheel bearing is not too tight and dragging. I just had a wheel bearing get real hot on a car that I bought recently. Turned out the previous owner had installed the spindles on the wrong side and the left bearing had tightened up so tight that the inner race was spinning in the hub.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic