Radiator grill

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Nunsio1
First Name: John
Last Name: Monticciolo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab truck
MTFCA Number: 21108

Radiator grill

Post by Nunsio1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:51 pm

Just installed a new Bergs radiator in my 24 C cab does anyone have any ideas for a radiator grill, like the ones on model A’s. The new rad’s aren’t getting any cheaper. Thanks in advance
John Monticciolo
Oscoda, Michigan

Erik Johnson
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Johnson

Re: Radiator grill

Post by Erik Johnson » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:49 pm

The late Louis Seekon of Minneapolis, MN had a 1924 touring that he dolled-up with a number of accessories including a radiator stone guard.

He was a talented fellow.

Instead of being a period accessory, he may have fabricated the stone guard himself in the 1950s using off the shelf materials. The main part of the stone guard was flattened expanded metal sheet/lattice that you can still purchase today. I can't remember if the trim around the perimeter was flat metal or a split tube.

If I recall correctly, it had a three-point mounting - one tab each for the left and right radiator/radiator shell mounting studs and nuts and collar that went around the base of the radiator neck.

The first photo below was taken in 1959. The second photo is of the car that I took in 2016 when it was still in Minnesota - sorry about the poor quality.

You can ask Jeff Perkins if he can provide close-up photos of the stone guard.

For more information on the car, click on this link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/59 ... 1477662387
Attachments
Louis Seekon 1.jpg
Louis Seekon 2.JPG

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 pm

I saw this - for a speedster - not the transparency of the mesh at the bottom of the photo. Several suppliers for metal cloth to mesh grade on-line https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/?na ... d=12101790 <- even in brass
https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+ ... PvliSLBM_M
Attachments
1923-ford-model-t-indy-style-racer.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:14 am

Doesn't that canvas top on the car make it stand out. That's what most of our colonial built cars had. You could always say that you imported your car from Australia.
Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic