Oil Cap (Breather)

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Oil Cap (Breather)

Post by Original Smith » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:47 pm

I straightened an original Ford breather cap yesterday, and couldn't get it to fit well. Upon looking inside the hole, the casting was quite rough. Initially I used a half round file to knock down the high spots, but it wasn't satisfactory. Ultimately I used a brake cylinder hone with good results. I've never encountered a problem like this before.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Oil Cap (Breather)

Post by jab35 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:16 pm

Larry: I've had straightened caps fit too tight too. The cylindrical piece of the cap needs to be loose in the tabs that attach it to the fluted cap top so the split sleeve can compress slightly when you insert it. If those tabs are crimped down tight the cap may be difficult to insert and may actually be loose b/c the sleeve cannot spring back against the inside of the oil filler. Of course a rough casting is a problem too and may be the only problem, one which you have already solved. Drive careful, jb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic