Anyone ever vulcanize an inner tube with gas

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Anyone ever vulcanize an inner tube with gas

Post by Mark Osterman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:29 pm

I have seen original vulcanizing clamps for years but have never actually used one. There were evidently different heat sources including prepared flammable discs and also a pan to receive a little gasoline. Are there any vintage illustrated instructions? It seems that every clamp I’ve seen is missing a little metal pan for holding the gas and pressing against the tube. Who out there has used one of these?

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Anyone ever vulcanize an inner tube with gas

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Mark,

The best method is to only use 10% gasoline with kerosene, and just enough fluid to cover the little pan. I was showed years back by an old guy and he used a little sawdust that was soaked in motor oil and then added the gas and kerosene. might want to practice first.

My $0.03 worth,

Hank

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 pm

Do not light a puddle of gasoline!

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:11 pm

Years ago when I worked in a tire shop we used rubber cement, spread it around the patch area and lit it. We would let it burn for a short time then blow it out but while it was still hot we would apply the patch and clamp it tight.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

david_dewey
First Name: David
Last Name: Dewey
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1925 runaboaut, 1926 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 19936
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by david_dewey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:24 pm

All the tube patching clamps I have are designed to be used with "self-vulcanizing" patches. These patches are attached to a tin piece with a flamable material in the tin. You clean the tube and rough it up a bit, then clamp it down and light the material. It burns quickly, you let it cool a bit, then unclamp it and peel off the tin piece. The rubber patch should be bonded to the tube and the edges smooth with the tube.
T'ake care,
David Dewey

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:40 pm

Vulcanising may well be a practice no longer compatible with modern tubes. Different rubber compounds/substitutes require different approaches. Most repairs made today use stick-on patches, and this includes stick-on replacement valve stems.You would need to ascertain that both the patches and the tube are compatible with vulcanising.

Allan from down under.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic